No Trespassing signs on CMHC lands and trails

Oct. 23, 2016, 12:30 p.m.

But with these signs, you would be Trespassing in doing so.

All property is theft!

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Oct. 23, 2016, 12:56 p.m.

But with these signs, you would be Trespassing in doing so.

Just like when you ride Cypress or above the 6th SB on Fromme.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Oct. 23, 2016, 2:44 p.m.

Sharon

Can you please confirm the exact location of the work your team did on this trail.

I am really impressed with the outcome and after only 4 hours.

I can think of a lot of places where similar work would be required.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLoNrQgAW50/

Uncle Scrooge

The North Shore.

Its great that you know of places that require similar work. The NSMBA would be the group to talk to! PM Heckler and he can set you up!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Oct. 23, 2016, 3:17 p.m.

Signs are for people who don't know where they are going.
My Mother grew up on the Shore, I was born and raised on the Shore, raised my kid on the Shore, this is just another indication that it is time to leave the Shore. Adios North Van.

I'm feeling that the shore will turn into what Marin County has turned into. As Vancouver grows more and more controls will be applied. I have family in Marin and the riding rules and lack of challenging trails is a real bummer.

I'm currently in Penticton tending to family business.
Was out for a ride with an ex Covey the other day who has relocated here. Im jealous he is living the dream….The Okanagan valley is full of trails, encouraged by the local communities to expand. They get it, it's huge for tourism. The amount of riders out today was impressive, the sun is out shining here.
Now if I can only talk the wife into moving…….

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Oct. 23, 2016, 6:24 p.m.

Good article in the Sun:

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/anger-grows-over-cmhc-trespass-signs-on-mt-seymour-trails

Keep writing those letters! It would not hurt to even include PM Trudeau.

My optimistic self hopes / wishes this could somehow end up with the CMHC lands being turned into a multiuse (including mountain bike only trails) public suburban park for perpetuity but only a lot of public pressure at the highest levels will ever make this happen.

I hiked in this area with my daughters to clear up a couple downed trees this afternoon (my route did not involve going through any no trespassing signs) and was reminded how much of a recreational treasure this area is to all user groups. It's worth a concerted, long term fight to get some sort of long term commitment from CMHC and the Federal and Provincial governments to non-motorized recreational use on this land.

Oct. 23, 2016, 7:28 p.m.

I'm feeling that the shore will turn into what Marin County has turned into. As Vancouver grows more and more controls will be applied. I have family in Marin and the riding rules and lack of challenging trails is a real bummer.

Yup. Its already happening. The more affluent people become, they seem to complain about the little things more, like people riding bicycles on trails. Not too many small towns have people like Monica.

I'm currently in Penticton tending to family business.
Was out for a ride with an ex Covey the other day who has relocated here. Im jealous he is living the dream….The Okanagan valley is full of trails, encouraged by the local communities to expand. They get it, it's huge for tourism. The amount of riders out today was impressive, the sun is out shining here.
Now if I can only talk the wife into moving…….

Smoke!

Yes the trails and the terrain are amazing in the interior, and they're everywhere. Many places you can build whatever your heart desires. There is no uppity codger peering over your shoulder.

I was just in North Van for the weekend. That town has just gotten weird.

Oct. 23, 2016, 7:57 p.m.

Yup. Its already happening. The more affluent people become, they seem to complain about the little things more, like people riding bicycles on trails. Not too many small towns have people like Monica.

Smoke!

Yes the trails and the terrain are amazing in the interior, and they're everywhere. Many places you can build whatever your heart desires. There is no uppity codger peering over your shoulder.

I was just in North Van for the weekend. That town has just gotten weird.

Lol yeah it was Johnny.
That dood is good people.
The freedom crew are excellent peeps.
Love it here.
I'm sure every town has a Monica, just here the attitude would be go f@#K yourself instead of trying to be civil to a nutcase.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Oct. 23, 2016, 8:25 p.m.

Lol yeah it was Johnny.
Love it here.
I'm sure every town has a Monica, just here the attitude would be go f@#K yourself instead of trying to be civil to a nutcase.

I rode Retallack earlier last month with that guy, he had fond memories of the cove but was praising the okanagan now.

…if this all goes south, what are winters like out there? :S

Oct. 24, 2016, 5:34 a.m.

Lol yeah it was Johnny.
Love it here.

hahaha too true!

Penticton has a solid scene with great trails.

Add to that Kamloops, Kelowna, Vernon, Salmon Arm, and everywhere in between. Once you make the move you'll be thinking why didn't I do this sooner?

Oct. 24, 2016, 2:26 p.m.

I sent my two bits to Minister Duclos (CMHC boss) and Terry Beech, MP. Who else needs a personalized version?

Dear Minister Duclos,

I was shocked and concerned to hear of the closure of the CMHC owned land, on Mount Seymour in British Columbia, to recreational users.

The origins of this decision are not yet public as far as I know, so I am very keen to hear and understand the rationale supporting this very significant choice made by the CMHC.

I am a 52 year old local businessman, born and raised in Vancouver, with a love for the mountains and a deep appreciation of our wilderness trail network. Personally I have been using the trails in the affected area on a weekly basis for the last 20+ years and sporadically before that. I run and hike, alone and with my family members, walk my dog, snow shoe and mountain bike these trails multiple times every week all year long and in every kind of weather.

This forest is beautiful, historic, peaceful and well maintained by a consortium of caring and nurturing user groups. I cannot tell you how many personal and professional, stressful situations have found release through time spent exploring these trails and just breathing in the beauty and calm of this forest. I’ve sweated on a bike or running, I’ve spent quality time strolling with friends, family and guests to this beautiful region, and I’ve taken time to sit down trail side and watch the sunbeams light up the fog as they stream down through the trees. I’ve taken in the views from the trails, of Vancouver’s waterways and felt so many times the gratitude for and joy of, living here and just how blessed I am and have been for the opportunity.

I am just one voice but this one person has been immeasurably impacted by public access to the trails and mountains of our region. The wilderness we love here in South Western BC has been seeing more and more traffic recently as residents and guests extend their boundaries and “go outside”. This is not the time to be limiting access but a time to embrace the beauty on our doorstep and work with passionate, organized user groups to take full advantage. I sincerely hope that the passion of the people of Vancouver come through clearly with one voice as we implore you to reassess this closure for the greater good of all involved.

Sincerely and with all the best intent,

Greg Bergen

Oct. 24, 2016, 5:23 p.m.

Takes me back…

Maple Ridge 2001 Woodlot 007

Simpler times I guess…

Oct. 24, 2016, 10:20 p.m.

Takes me back too….to yesterday on Cypress.

It was a great rip with my 12yo on his new squishy bike!!!!

Oct. 24, 2016, 10:22 p.m.

Takes me back too….to yesterday on Cypress.

It was a great rip with my 12yo on his new squishy bike!!!!

i remember the good old days.

it was after those signs went up that everything went sideways on cypress.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 24, 2016, 10:59 p.m.

Federation of Mountain Clubs of BC

https://twitter.com/mountainclubs/status/790720125594800132?s=09

Oct. 24, 2016, 11:24 p.m.

Federation of Mountain Club of BC

https://twitter.com/mountainclubs/status/790720125594800132?s=09

Excellent letter.

The post is also on their FB page, if you want to give the letter a Like.
https://www.facebook.com/mountainclubs/