No Trespassing signs on CMHC lands and trails

Oct. 20, 2016, 10:41 p.m.

That's just not possible in a city in this connected age. The NSMBA are doing things right - reaching out, engaging, getting everyone involved and working with all associated groups.

Staying under the radar may have been possible 20 years ago (even then, the history shows it may not have been even then). It just isn't today.

Agree that the NSMBA is doing things right. One of the bigger issues now is that their policing of these lands may be impaired.

Oct. 20, 2016, 11:03 p.m.

Excellent feature by Global BC. It focuses on the impact to all trail users.

http://globalnews.ca/video/3017274/no-tresspassing-signs-declare-popular-mount-seymour-trails-off-limits

I like how global ended their article with a strong insinuation that people should ignore the signs.

I was watching Global news this evening and the news scroll at the bottom had a report from a biker that the signs were already gone. waiting for confirmation.

Oct. 21, 2016, 12:02 a.m.

At around 5PM, there was still a sign on the access point from the Parkway.

Oct. 21, 2016, 12:10 a.m.

Lots of media activity today, I tried hard to make it clear to the media that this wasn't just a MTB issue, but an issue for all users. It's also a big issue for recreation and the local economy in North Van. Here's a couple that I though best covered the full spectrum of the issue from a trail users perspective:

North Shore News

CTV News

The found the radio interviews are best. More time to explore the issue, less opportunity to cut important facts, but maybe I'm biased cause I'm in them. . .

CKNW, Roundhouse Radio

I have been sharing all info on my Facebook page as it comes to me. My latest update is a request for information:

Why are these trails important to you, your club/organization or your business?

What would be the effect on you if access is prohibited?

I plan to compile this info into a compelling set of information to share with my colleagues in Provincial and Federal government to advocate on behalf of trail access. If you feel comfortable, please share and spread the word. Meetings are being scheduled with CMHC for next week and I'd like to have something for Monday.

If you'd rather comment on these boards, would someone volunteer to compile the info?

Thanks to everyone who has contacted me to offer support and ideas so far.

Mathew

Oct. 21, 2016, 12:27 a.m.

I'll just quickly say I moved here from Ontario for these trails. I've been super happy and proud to work on these trails. I've ridden these trails and made friends with locals, but also people from the sea to sky corridor, WA, Italy, Germany and Austria. It's been a place for me to bond with my workmates, with our office near the base of the mountain. It's a place I go hiking with my girlfriend or other non bikers in order to show what an amazing asset we have only minutes from the city. The scope of the impact is vast in that it affects many usergroups, but also in that these trails have a global userbase.

Also just clicked that facebook link Monica posted on the CMHC wall back in May. She used a photo I took of my friend on an after work ride. Good times during happier days. Fingers crossed for the future.

Oct. 21, 2016, 7:09 a.m.

Are people going to obey the closure?

Oct. 21, 2016, 7:30 a.m.

Ironic that this facebook post ended up getting all users banned when their intention was to get only bikers banned.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209796436255563[HTML_REMOVED]set=o.733760243364235[HTML_REMOVED]type=3

Then trying to blame bikers for the current situation is laughable.

looks like the post has been removed or hidden….you're a slice of work, Monica

Oct. 21, 2016, 7:40 a.m.

Wouldn't seem smart to advertise it here if they weren't.

Oct. 21, 2016, 7:52 a.m.

The bigger issue is that NSMBA intends to respect the closure, which affects maintenance and ability to hold events.

Oct. 21, 2016, 8:33 a.m.

I did my very first shore ride on Seymour in 1990 w Jason Tong, and a few boys. My mind was blown! I love that mtn. This all seems crazy to me. :(

Oct. 21, 2016, 8:38 a.m.

I'll just quickly say I moved here from Ontario for these trails. I've been super happy and proud to work on these trails. I've ridden these trails and made friends with locals, but also people from the sea to sky corridor, WA, Italy, Germany and Austria. It's been a place for me to bond with my workmates, with our office near the base of the mountain. It's a place I go hiking with my girlfriend or other non bikers in order to show what an amazing asset we have only minutes from the city. The scope of the impact is vast in that it affects many usergroups, but also in that these trails have a global userbase.

Also just clicked that facebook link Monica posted on the CMHC wall back in May. She used a photo I took of my friend on an after work ride. Good times during happier days. Fingers crossed for the future.

I moved here from the UK for the Sea to Sky trials and now I'm a huge asset to Canada.

Thing is BC governments at all levels are remarkably dumb in not realizing the tourism potential and the impact of trail closures. Either that or they don't really give a crap about tourism and it's effect on the local economy.

Look at the empty wealth display mansions on Cypress and Stone Bridge in Whistler that dissect the trails. The construction planned for Squamish that'll wipe out some of the best slab trails. If the government had any idea it'd buy all that land and let tourism BC market the shit out of the trail systems.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Oct. 21, 2016, 8:39 a.m.

I'll compile the info here;
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?p=2930010#post2930010

Lots of media activity today, I tried hard to make it clear to the media that this wasn't just a MTB issue, but an issue for all users. It's also a big issue for recreation and the local economy in North Van. Here's a couple that I though best covered the full spectrum of the issue from a trail users perspective:

North Shore News

CTV News

The found the radio interviews are best. More time to explore the issue, less opportunity to cut important facts, but maybe I'm biased cause I'm in them. . .

CKNW, Roundhouse Radio

I have been sharing all info on my Facebook page as it comes to me. My latest update is a request for information:

Why are these trails important to you, your club/organization or your business?

What would be the effect on you if access is prohibited?

I plan to compile this info into a compelling set of information to share with my colleagues in Provincial and Federal government to advocate on behalf of trail access. If you feel comfortable, please share and spread the word. Meetings are being scheduled with CMHC for next week and I'd like to have something for Monday.

If you'd rather comment on these boards, would someone volunteer to compile the info?

Thanks to everyone who has contacted me to offer support and ideas so far.

Mathew

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Oct. 21, 2016, 8:47 a.m.

I moved here from the UK for the Sea to Sky trials and now I'm a huge asset to Canada.

Thing is BC governments at all levels are remarkably dumb in not realizing the tourism potential and the impact of trail closures. Either that or they don't really give a crap about tourism and it's effect on the local economy.

Look at the empty wealth display mansions on Cypress and Stone Bridge in Whistler that dissect the trails. The construction planned for Squamish that'll wipe out some of the best slab trails. If the government had any idea it'd buy all that land and let tourism BC market the shit out of the trail systems.

point of order, Stonebridge developers are huge assets to WORCA and have created right of ways for pretty much all the trails through their property in addition to providing funding for further trail development in the area as they realize the value of the trails. Private property is private property, this CMHC stuff is totally different though as it's a crown corp wanting to treat crown land like private land.

Oct. 21, 2016, 9:04 a.m.

As much as we do have a great trail network around here, I agree with you that I'm surprised there isn't more being done at a higher level (government) to promote and develop the trail network. I think Whistler does a really good job of this (with the Lost Lake network, for example).

Or perhaps Vancouver already gets enough tourists otherwise so they don't care… and I guess anyone coming to this region specifically for mountain biking would probably go to Whistler (and squamish/pemberton) instead. I can't really picture someone staying at the Shangri-La for a week and driving to and from the North Shore with their dirty mountain bike everyday to ride our trails.

Oct. 21, 2016, 9:38 a.m.

looks like the post has been removed or hidden….you're a slice of work, Monica

I know right? I saw the post the other day and then Cam published his article and now mysteriously it's been deleted.

Don't like the proof that, however small, you had a hand in impeding access for all trail users, Monica? Careful what you wish for, you just might get it!

EDIT: The actual reason the post was taken down was due to the rider in the photo requesting it be removed. I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

Ride, don't slide.