No Trespassing signs on CMHC lands and trails

Oct. 20, 2016, 2:28 p.m.

Oh, no kidding. "Someone" has already started framing the conversation by suggesting that hikers only care about keeping the Baden-Powell and the Bridle Path (BPsquared) trails open, and that all other trails are "biker" trails and thus don't matter to anyone of value.

That is fine. Let the people that wish to divide the community announce themselves. In my observations, gov't really doesn't like having to settle disputes between user groups. The ones that clearly communicate their intention to get along and cooperate with others will prevail.

Me being optimistic.

Oct. 20, 2016, 2:35 p.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2929926]One more thing…..

This is really a very good test for MTB to step up. Your (our) ability to work together, represent, and cooperate has never been more important.

We have incredible people in the biking community….really incredible people. Follow the good examples. Stay calm, commit to process, work together.[/QUOTE]

I really like this post. Thanks for the perspective.

Email sent to MP(s).

D

Oct. 20, 2016, 3:41 p.m.

As a trail runner and mountain biker, I can assure you that many trail runners (while not as organized) support NSMBA and are following this situation closely. Yes, I think it's unfair that blame has seemingly been placed on the MTB community (or at least that's how it's perceived) and not other activities. CMHC has been a passive landowner in a prime location for trails. By being passive, it's become a world renown destination that has umpteen benefits to our health and well being as well as our future kids.

Anyhow, I'm sure that many other user groups would rather become part of the solution than part of the problem (to quote more political speak) and will look to become more engaged as the situation unfolds.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Oct. 20, 2016, 4:41 p.m.

Quote from CMHC on her FB page:

" Hi Monica. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Blair Rifle Range is jointly owned by CMHC and the B.C. Province. We were recently made aware of trail building activity. While we are not aware of any authorization given for trail building within CMHC land, park authorities have authorized trail building in nearby parks subject to permits and monitoring. Unauthorized trails are often blocked.

We are currently working with neighbouring parks on a co-ordinated approach to managing the use of CMHC land, which is expected to be in place later this year."

^^^
How could CHMC only become "recently aware of trail building activity"? It's been going on for how many years, obviously with some approval or sanction. I thought a co-ordinated approach has been in place. More info please, CMHC!

Also, if it's only the Blair Rifle Range that's the concern, why are all trails on CMHC land sign-posted?

Oct. 20, 2016, 4:49 p.m.

" Hi Monica. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Blair Rifle Range is jointly owned by CMHC and the B.C. Province. We were recently made aware of trail building activity. While we are not aware of any authorization given for trail building within CMHC land, park authorities have authorized trail building in nearby parks subject to permits and monitoring. Unauthorized trails are often blocked.

We are currently working with neighbouring parks on a co-ordinated approach to managing the use of CMHC land, which is expected to be in place later this year."

^^^
How could CHMC only become "recently aware of trail building activity"? It's been going on for how many years, obviously with some approval or sanction. I thought a co-ordinated approach has been in place. More info please, CMHC!

Also, if it's only the Blair Rifle Range that's the concern, why are all trails on CMHC land sign-posted?

Also, why would CMHC be completely unresponsive to the DNV and NSMB for years, but then suddenly reply to a Facebook post by Monica? If it didn't look so official, I'd almost think it was fake.

Oct. 20, 2016, 6:32 p.m.

Another example of how staying under the radar is best.

Oct. 20, 2016, 6:36 p.m.

Another example of how staying under the radar is best.

That's just not possible in a city in this connected age. The NSMBA are doing things right - reaching out, engaging, getting everyone involved and working with all associated groups.

Staying under the radar may have been possible 20 years ago (even then, the history shows it may not have been even then). It just isn't today.

Oct. 20, 2016, 7:51 p.m.

The Blair Rifle range is the area between Northlands Golf Course and Blueridge up past Hyannis
https://www.dnv.org/sites/default/files/edocs/seymour-plan-with-maps.pdf

Scroll to the bottom where the map is, the red and white striped area is the Blair Rifle Range.

The area where most of the trails are is Mountain Forest, North of Blair Range and the Golf Course. Not a lot of building goes on in Blair Range as it is rocky, aldery and flat.

The wording of the signs is unfortunate. It would have been better to not include "access prohibited" since they aren't going to enforce anything why not just put in a 'use at your own risk' disclaimer?

This is another interesting article about GUARD, which helped to protect Mountain Forest and Cove Forest from development.
https://www.wildernesscommittee.org/sites/all/files/publications/1995%20%2009%20The%20Choice%20is%20yours.pdf

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Oct. 20, 2016, 7:56 p.m.

Any answer would be conjecture.

Blair Range is part of the Seymour housing plan, and is slated for 300 homes. Trails right at the doorstep could be a selling feature, but also could be something they wouldn't want.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 20, 2016, 8 p.m.

Metro's map is herefyi

http://www.metrovancouver.org/services/parks/ParksPublications/LowerLSCR.pdf#search="lscr%20map"

Are there still grandfathered private plots of land in the area covered by that map?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 20, 2016, 9:32 p.m.

Are there still godfathered private plots of land in the area covered by that map?

I found another version of that map that seems to confirm your suspicions.

Oct. 20, 2016, 9:37 p.m.

:lol:
All of the win

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 20, 2016, 9:46 p.m.

Well if that's the case, the land would be "Godfathered" (of freeride), not grandfathered.

Thread killer

Oct. 20, 2016, 10:07 p.m.

Excellent feature by Global BC. It focuses on the impact to all trail users.

http://globalnews.ca/video/3017274/no-tresspassing-signs-declare-popular-mount-seymour-trails-off-limits

Oct. 20, 2016, 10:37 p.m.

Just saw a post on another site from around 40 minutes ago that states that the signs have already gone….no idea with this is true though?

treezz
wow you are a ass