No Trespassing signs on CMHC lands and trails

Oct. 19, 2016, 8:53 a.m.

Thanks for this update Matthew.

I wrote a letter to my MP (Jonathan Wilkinson) and CC'd Terry Beech and Jean-Yves Duclos (the Minister responsible for CMHC). I tried to focus on the lack of engagement with the community, which I consider the 'core' issue here. The signs are just a result of that lack of engagement. Even if the signs were taken down tomorrow, the status quo is unacceptable.

This is a crown corporation and they should be beholden to the taxpayer at the end of the day. That's you and me. Our MP's have a duty to hear our concerns and respond. I really encourage anyone who uses these trails to take the 10 minutes out of your day and write a respectful but firmly worded letter to Mr. Beech and if applicable your own MP as well.

Oct. 19, 2016, 9:43 a.m.

Thanks for the update, Mathew. Keep up the good work.

In related news, Conservative leadership candidate Michael Chong wants to privatize CMHC.

"Privatizing CMHC is the single most important long-term thing government can do to ensure that Canadian families can continue to afford to buy a home."

Would a private corporation do a better job of engaging stakeholders on Seymour than the unelected, unaccountable CMHC?

Oct. 19, 2016, 10:03 a.m.

Thanks for the update, Mathew. Keep up the good work.

In related news, Conservative leadership candidate Michael Chong wants to privatize CMHC.

Would a private corporation do a better job of engaging stakeholders on Seymour than the unelected, unaccountable CMHC?

No, why would they have any reason to be accountable whatsoever when the only interest is dollars?

Even if the CMHC seems opaque at the moment, at least there's a consensus here that they shouldn't act that way due to the nature of a being a crown corp. A private business answers to no one, least of all people that want to play outside for free.

There might be exceptions to this rule, but a private run enterprise sounds like a bleak outcome to me.

Oct. 19, 2016, 11:09 a.m.

Interesting thought. In terms of engagement I would say yes.

In terms of doing what it's mandated to do is CMHC anything more than just an insurance provider now? Does anyone know what have they done with their land elsewhere? I assume they have a lot of land elsewhere, are they just sitting on it as security for the insurance they provide? From what I understand they started out as an organisation more like BC Housing but morphed into an insurance provider.

As poor a job as the government in general has done to cool the market I'd be nervous to add another private player into the arena. The Real Estate Council of B.C. lost it's power to self-govern this year due to it putting the needs of its members first rather than the public.

http://www.theprovince.com/business/real-estate/christy+clark+shakes+real+estate+industry+with+more+self/12025721/story.html

Oct. 19, 2016, 11:19 a.m.

Nice to have some information. Thanks MrBond!

Wouldnt a third question to CMHC be "What are your concerns that resulted in the placement of the signs"?

Could be that CMHC replies back with the previous signs had worn to an extent that they were not readable.

Could be that they are worried about liability issues.

Could be that they dont want anyone on their land.

Without knowing their motive, its tough to work forward through the issue.

Oct. 19, 2016, 11:37 a.m.

Would it be possible to get a form letter explaining everything from the NSMBA that people could use to forward to their local MP's.

I live in Langley, but I ride Seymour often. I could easily get a letter to my MP, he is actually in my Rotary Club.

G

Oct. 19, 2016, 12:03 p.m.

Would it be possible to get a form letter explaining everything from the NSMBA that people could use to forward to their local MP's.

I live in Langley, but I ride Seymour often. I could easily get a letter to my MP, he is actually in my Rotary Club.

G

I'd suggest against a form letter as a personalized letter from individuals would look better. It doesn't have to be long, just a few paragraphs, but there are some point you could hit on:

- personal enjoyment you get from the trails
- health benefits from riding
- the sense of communinty riding with other people creates
- positive economic impacts to businesses in the area
- motivating factor for people to live and work in the region

Feel free to add other things you may find relevant.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 19, 2016, 12:46 p.m.

I'd suggest against a form letter as a personalized letter from individuals would look better. It doesn't have to be long, just a few paragraphs, but there are some point you could hit on:

- personal enjoyment you get from the trails
- health benefits from riding
- the sense of communinty riding with other people creates
- positive economic impacts to businesses in the area
- motivating factor for people to live and work in the region

Feel free to add other things you may find relevant.

Great points.

Also consider the reputation the trails on Seymour have, making North Van a worldwide mountain bike destination.

Oct. 19, 2016, 1:58 p.m.

Where are the signs? Having just ridden (today) on Bridal, HS, Penny Lane, GSM, SD, SS, etc today other than yellow tape in various locations (and a bit of red tape) which I think marks boundaries there are no "No Trespassing" signs anywhere that I saw.

Oct. 19, 2016, 3:33 p.m.

Another group to possibly reach out to would be the organizers of the local trail running races held on those trails - the Knee Knacker, Mountain Madness, etc.

Oct. 19, 2016, 4:40 p.m.

Where are the signs? Having just ridden (today) on Bridal, HS, Penny Lane, GSM, SD, SS, etc today other than yellow tape in various locations (and a bit of red tape) which I think marks boundaries there are no "No Trespassing" signs anywhere that I saw.

I've heard there are about 20-25; not at trail heads but at the boundaries. I've seen two - one at the trail entrance at Hill drive, and another at the end of Tomkins going into the range area.

Oct. 19, 2016, 4:43 p.m.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/local+news/mountain+bikers+27floored+landowner+decision+close+mount/12298458/story.html

Oct. 19, 2016, 7:16 p.m.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/local+news/mountain+bikers+27floored+landowner+decision+close+mount/12298458/story.html

For the past 15 years, CMHC has had a completely hands-off policy on Mount Seymour, not reacting as clandestine trails were built on its land.

The last part of the sentence is important.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 19, 2016, 7:56 p.m.

Don't read the comments or your heads may explode.

Oct. 19, 2016, 8:47 p.m.

I'm glad John Colebourn got out first with this. CBC News has followed.

Landowner closes most of Mount Seymour's mountain bike trails