No Respect

Jan. 12, 2016, 6:27 p.m.

I fear Skooks will run for president of NSMBA. Shortly thereafter Skooks turns all existing downhill trails into climbing trails and designates Old Buck as a downhill only trail with a 8km/h speed limit strictly enforced by radar

Jan. 12, 2016, 7:36 p.m.

lol - your reading comprehension must be broken.

does it make sense to have a climbing trail intersect with what is arguably the fastest downhill section of another trail?

Not really. Especially if people are setting up picnic tables there.

Jan. 12, 2016, 8:04 p.m.

Not really. Especially if people are setting up picnic tables there.

in that light yes, but that's not really the point i was addressing.

the thing is, there's play on both sides of this argument. yes clogging up a trail head/exit is bad form imo, but there's also something to be said for the riding past someone at a high speed. there's plety of scenarios that could play out where something could go wrong. some people say that skooks didn't handle this in the best manner, and i can agree with that. however, i can also appreciate his persepctive on things too.

so what's the best thing to do here? pick a team and argue your point to death or say that maybe if we all were a bit more considerate things would have played out better. yeah maybe skooks could have been a bit more considerate/aware and been off the trail, but maybe the downhill rider could have given a head's up and yelled out rider up to alert skooks and his group to a fast rider coming down the hill.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 12, 2016, 8:17 p.m.

does it make sense to have a climbing trail intersect with what is arguably the fastest downhill section of another trail?

Was it possible to intersect the two trails in a place where terrain would have traffic slowed on both routes?
Maybe it's time to stop building trails up there willy-nilly and develop a cohesive master plan going forward.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 12, 2016, 8:26 p.m.

Was it possible to intersect the two trails in a place where terrain would have traffic slowed on both routes?
Maybe it's time to stop building trails up there willy-nilly and develop a cohesive master plan going forward.

If only there were some sort of local community organization in North Vancouver where mountain bikers could organize themselves and make decisions on things like this…

Jan. 12, 2016, 8:28 p.m.

Ps I don't see any problem with the routing of either trail. Builders choice.

Jan. 12, 2016, 8:29 p.m.

There are good points made by many people.

Hopefully everyone can agree that whenever a person (rider or hiker) stops, you should move aside to allow others to pass without them having to ask.

Another thing to consider for some of you, is that the Black Diamond Down Hill, is in fact a hiking trail called The Good Samaritan. This trail pre-dates Mnt Biking. Watch for people, dogs, and slower riders over the hills.

BFJCC - NSOBC
Ride'n the Shore since '84

Jan. 12, 2016, 8:56 p.m.

10 pages of NSMB gold……..I'm gonna make sure to rally full on next time I approach that crossing. See who I can push to start a dumb thread.

Shed head!

Jan. 12, 2016, 9:21 p.m.

If only there were some sort of local community organization in North Vancouver where mountain bikers could organize themselves and make decisions on things like this…Ps I don't see any problem with the routing of either trail. Builders choice.

Which results in…

a climbing trail intersect with what is arguably the fastest downhill section of another trail

IMO we've reached a juncture where the district needs to impose a "permitting" system for the building of new trails.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 12, 2016, 10:40 p.m.

my vote is for a tunnel

Low headroom will make someone cut it out.

Jan. 13, 2016, 2:09 a.m.

Was the rider Deaner? I think he rides
for Team CCM. I can't remember his last
name. Maybe, Super Troopers bike patrol will
get him on the second lap.

Jan. 13, 2016, 5:15 a.m.

If only there were some sort of local community organization in North Vancouver where mountain bikers could organize themselves and make decisions on things like this…

But then we'd just argue. We really need one person, preferrably with a huge ego, to relieve us of the burden of decision-making ;)

Its actually not a bad spot for a crossing, good vis and all. Thats where shorn originally split off before the switchbacky part was added.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 13, 2016, 5:23 a.m.

Forget building new trails for a bit…

All current efforts for the foreseeable future should be spent on building a Thunderdome arena.

Catch a hiker laying boobytraps? THUNDERDOME!

Persnickety old boot bitching about frogs getting smooshed? THUNDERDOME!

You're standing on/near a trail and someone almost smooshes you and your friends? THUNDERDOME!

You're feeling the flow and you come across a group standing in the middle of a fast technical section? THUNDERDOME!

I'm sure froglady would enjoy a thinning of the herd.
NSMB could sell PPV tickets to raise money for beer and bikeparts.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Jan. 13, 2016, 8 a.m.

lol - your reading comprehension must be broken.

also being sarcastic

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

Jan. 13, 2016, 8:09 a.m.

also being sarcastic

excuse me a moment whilst i face palm myself

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer