No Respect

Jan. 11, 2016, 12:11 p.m.

Another vote for elitist superstar privilege from someone that (like myself) wasn't even there. More concerned about who you beat than who you can meet. Get out my way so I can polish the legend that exists only in my own bathroom.

Both sides have responsibility. I know that's an awfully hard concept to consider, especially when your elite cognitive functions and reflexes are devoted to controlling your unreleased prototype to yet another world cup win.

As for not being sure why a rider would slow down for others on the side of the trail… I do it all the time.. make sure they're just stopped and not needing something, make sure they don't have a loose dog, make sure they don't have a straggler in their group. All these things are just considerations to avoid conflict. The onus does not fall on one party only.

Not really sure why I chose to defend Skook so much here. Maybe I just like to argue. But I would humbly suggest we all have something to learn from this, whether we're standing beside our bike, or hitting a steep pitch. Look the *[HTML_REMOVED]^^ out for each other, it's really not hard to do.

Jan. 11, 2016, 12:28 p.m.

It's not about ego, legends or whatever overly intellectualized, wordy, psuedo-poetic tagline you want to attach to it (for your ego, you obviously relish in a good e-debate to polish your own legend in the bathroom).

Neither of us were there, but I do know the intersection very well, and I know how ridiculous it is to block someone coming down there.

There didn't need to be a conflict here. The smart thing to do would have been to keep the group clear and aware at the intersection, failing that after the fist rider came down and you heard more coming, most people would tell their group to make some space and heads up. Stopping the rider coming down and endangering everyone and then taking to the internet to take the moral high ground and smear a sponsored rider is just ingnorant. That's why he's getting flak…

Jan. 11, 2016, 12:31 p.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2903440]

As for not being sure why a rider would slow down for others on the side of the trail… I do it all the time.. make sure they're just stopped and not needing something, make sure they don't have a loose dog, make sure they don't have a straggler in their group. All these things are just considerations to avoid conflict. The onus does not fall on one party only.

How do you know the riders didn't slow down? Or were not in control? A lot of assumptions on your part.

:canada:

Jan. 11, 2016, 12:31 p.m.

Except he didn't smear him, or name the sponsor (or did I miss something). Seemed he was just begging for some caution. Me, I'm just begging for distraction. Honestly, I just hate work today. Forgive my ranting. It's a 2-3 time per year indulgence. I just can't seem to control myself.

Jan. 11, 2016, 12:37 p.m.

How do you know the riders didn't slow down? Or were not in control? A lot of assumptions on your part.

Original post indicated they didn't slow down, just taking face value. Control, as you rightly point out, is relative. I do not recall, or read anywhere that I said "not in control". This part you made up and added in. The part I made up was all the gratuitous hyperbole about the rockstar mentality that we all love so much. This was a simple counter to the countervailing assumptions about the original poster being old, slow, and vexatious. I'm detail oriented that way.

Just to be clear. I don;t know Skook from a hole in the wall. I'm not arguing on his behalf. I'm doing it because coffee breaks are far far to short. I'm arguing for balance, and some sane consideration of how our actions affect others and the general viability of MTB as a trail-sharing enterprise that remains open to all (not just elites).

Jan. 11, 2016, 12:57 p.m.

So a few of us were stopped at the top of Penny Lane this afternoon waiting for some stragglers when a sponsored enduro rider came ripping down Severed and right through the middle of our group at very high speed with no warning at all. This is a pretty busy trail intersection and there were lots of people around on this very busy day. When I heard his mates ripping down towards us just as fast I had enough and stood in the trail with my bike so they had to slow down. I politely told them that they were out of line but their response made it clear that they were the only ones who mattered and were not concerned about possible risk to other trail users. Pretty irresponsible attitude, especially when you are wearing your sponsor's shirt with your name on it. At the risk of sounding like the grumpy old curmudgeon that I am, I really felt the need to post this.

I always try and make every encounter in the trails an enjoyable one, there is no intersection sign when descending Severed, standing in the middle of the trail is pretty disrespectful on your part, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Jan. 11, 2016, 1:22 p.m.

[QUOTE=ol' dirty;2903436]Whining, entitled, hapless trail boner stops at a high speed intersection and has the nerve to put more riders coming down in harms way by blocking the trail on purpose, then has even more nerve to claim the downhill riders have "no respect" and "were not concerned about possible risk to other trail users".

Just because you think you're entitled to tea and crumpets with your knitting circle wherever you please because "trail users" doesn't give you the right or moral high ground to be trail cop. If you were clear of the intersection and someone came through and scared you, that's on you. If you pull a convoy of vehicles over on the side of the highway to take in the view, and someone goes by at highway speeds and scares you, who's in the wrong? If you then park your car in the middle of the highway to slow down the next car, you're not only stupid and wrong, you're liable. You could have stopped shorter or further and have avoided the problem entirely. Instead you chose to actually put people in danger to prove your point. Sounds like you were in the wrong to me buddy. Normally most people would give it a pass as a typical busy day trail conflict, but if you take to the keyboard like an accusatory, entitled prick, you're gonna get some flak.

this^

Is this a black diamond trail on the North shore or the Stanley park Seawall?

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Jan. 11, 2016, 1:49 p.m.

personally I would be 97% less pissed off at the entire situation if it was just a regular mountain biker whizzing past. But an ENDURO rider?? That's an entirely different kettle of fish :lol:

sorry I still laugh really f'ing hard every time I hear the E word…we're all just riding mountain bikes in the forest after all

Jan. 11, 2016, 1:55 p.m.

You don't wait in the middle of a downhill trail, it's just common sense! If people are this stupid maybe there should be a yield sign or a stop sign on the climbing trail at the intersection.

Jan. 11, 2016, 2:01 p.m.

have we blamed this on strava yet?

just wondering, it's the logical progression

I'm usually awed when I'm resting and a fast rider comes ripping through, I guess I'm different.

Still not sure why a rider should slow down as to not frighten some people on the side of the trail. What did the OP say? "Slow down, we're trying to socialize here?"

Post #5 in the thread.

There's nothing wrong with riding just to ride, and not pissing around at every trail intersection and stopping to say hi to everyone you come across.

Jan. 11, 2016, 2:44 p.m.

You don't wait in the middle of a downhill trail, it's just common sense! If people are this stupid maybe there should be a yield sign or a stop sign on the climbing trail at the intersection.

The sign at the top of Penny Lane has a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark and says "CAUTION! TRAIL CROSSING"

Jan. 11, 2016, 3:02 p.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2903426]Awesome. Let's get lynch mob about this, and divide among warring factions that go forking crazy in defense of downhill right of way, versus the spoonful cautioning of those crossing trails or waiting at intersections for the rest of the group. It's like Twix factory right firing scuds at Twix left. I love the chiming in of those with nothing intelligent to offer, than right on so-and-so, and I side with so-and-so.

We all have some responsibility in shaping the trails (the social atmosphere, not just the dirt and rocks). Personally, I agree that one bears responsibility to be attentive to those coming down the hill, and not make yourself into a problem. But, if team superstar is coming through like a freight train while others are on the trail, across a known intersection (that they in all likelihood have crossed a hundred times) they share the responsibility too.

Best case scenario, the waiting groups moves to the best spot out of the way, the downhill rider trims the brakes, as he has no clue how many people are in the waiting group, or when another may be entering the frame. Simple courtesy avoids all of this crap, but robs us of the opportunity to argue (and who would want that?).

I side with this so-and-so.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 11, 2016, 3:06 p.m.

https://youtu.be/gMJbokXjR3c

Whoa whoa whoa!!! I think I may have stumbled across hidden footage of the confrontation!

Jan. 11, 2016, 3:13 p.m.

Or an uphill trail, or any trail. If you stop anywhere, assume you:

1. Are in someone's way
2. Are about to be in someone's way

Then:

Move to the side of the trail.

Jan. 11, 2016, 3:31 p.m.

this^

Is this a black diamond trail on the North shore or the Stanley park Seawall?

LOL! The seawall is waaaay more dangerous!

Your 0.02 opinion is worthless. Since Feb 2013, pennies have to be rounded down. Sorry.