No Respect

Jan. 11, 2016, 11 a.m.

Still something to discuss. Said record-seekers know full well the crossing is coming up. Alpine responsibility codes still applies. Who are you to say whose business is whose? I see a whole lot of defending speed-freak deluxe behaviour, and zero consideration of the other factors that AFFECT US ALL. So at the risk of arguing an unpopular position, look downhill and be prepared to slow down. Doesn't matter if its a slower rider, a group of hikers, and injured fawn, or some hobo cooking a can of beans in the middle of the trail. Look where you're going, and don't fly by people like a doosh.

Jan. 11, 2016, 11 a.m.

Hey I hold no punches when it comes to calling out reckless riding through blind corners and such where collisions are highly likely, but not in every case. A primarily hiking trail then yes, caution should be used by any downhill rider.

I'm the type of rider who thinks that uphill riders/hikers/space fillers have almost equal role to play. Call it personal responsibility, call it logical, or even safety conscious, but anyone one the trail should be aware of what could happen. If you are standing on a widely used dh trail, then move out of the way.

Maybe there should be some signs put facing up, stating "Beware of downhill riders".

Edit: The alpine responsibility code negates any responsibility from those Joeys who like sit on the downside of blind rollers.

Jan. 11, 2016, 11:06 a.m.

If there was a sign on Severed that read 'trail crossing, slow down' then there would be an argument here. There is no sign warning riders of a crossing that are coming down severed so there's nothing to discuss.
Stay off down trails when resting/waiting and let descenders ride however fast or slow they feel comfortable going. It's like bitching about people going too fast in the fast lane, get in the right lane and mind your business.

Well said

Jan. 11, 2016, 11:06 a.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2903416]Still something to discuss. Said record-seekers know full well the crossing is coming up. Alpine responsibility codes still applies. Who are you to say whose business is whose? I see a whole lot of defending speed-freak deluxe behaviour, and zero consideration of the other factors that AFFECT US ALL. So at the risk of arguing an unpopular position, look downhill and be prepared to slow down. Doesn't matter if its a slower rider, a group of hikers, and injured fawn, or some hobo cooking a can of beans in the middle of the trail. Look where you're going, and don't fly by people like a doosh.

Like Jerry-rig said, maybe his ability makes him capable of slowing down faster than the average rider so he was prepared to avoid a collisio with a hobo. So in Skooks eyes he was going way too fast but maybe he WAS fully prepared to come to a sudden stop if need be. It's all personal opinion.

Jan. 11, 2016, 11:08 a.m.

Do you generally park in the center of an intersection with your car and then get mad when people come …. Or do you generally pull off to the side of the road when driving where it is safe …. This whole thred is so stupid and anyone supporting this guys whining should knock it off and use their heads for more than just a hat rack !

Jan. 11, 2016, 11:16 a.m.

Do you generally park in the center of an intersection with your car and then get mad when people come …. Or do you generally pull off to the side of the road when driving where it is safe …. This whole thred is so stupid and anyone supporting this guys whining should knock it off and use their heads for more than just a hat rack !

You tell em Squagles!!!

Jan. 11, 2016, 11:23 a.m.

Awesome. Let's get lynch mob about this, and divide among warring factions that go forking crazy in defense of downhill right of way, versus the spoonful cautioning of those crossing trails or waiting at intersections for the rest of the group. It's like Twix factory right firing scuds at Twix left. I love the chiming in of those with nothing intelligent to offer, than right on so-and-so, and I side with so-and-so.

We all have some responsibility in shaping the trails (the social atmosphere, not just the dirt and rocks). Personally, I agree that one bears responsibility to be attentive to those coming down the hill, and not make yourself into a problem. But, if team superstar is coming through like a freight train while others are on the trail, across a known intersection (that they in all likelihood have crossed a hundred times) they share the responsibility too.

Best case scenario, the waiting groups moves to the best spot out of the way, the downhill rider trims the brakes, as he has no clue how many people are in the waiting group, or when another may be entering the frame. Simple courtesy avoids all of this crap, but robs us of the opportunity to argue (and who would want that?).

Jan. 11, 2016, 11:24 a.m.

Don't park yourself in the middle of a black diamond downhill mountain bike trail! So simple. Look up and cross the trail if you are climbing. Having a pow wow with your buddies on the middle of the gnarliest part of a DH trail is just F'ing stupid. There's lots of space on either side to hang around. This is a lot of wasted energy. Also, contacting someones employer to complain about them riding fast down a trail is so lame. I completely disagree with the poster of this thread and think his actions were reckless. Does that mean I should contact his employer and complain about him??

Jan. 11, 2016, 11:29 a.m.

have we blamed this on strava yet?

just wondering, it's the logical progression

I'm usually awed when I'm resting and a fast rider comes ripping through, I guess I'm different.

Still not sure why a rider should slow down as to not frighten some people on the side of the trail. What did the OP say? "Slow down, we're trying to socialize here?"

Jan. 11, 2016, 11:34 a.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2903426]Awesome. Let's get lynch mob about this, and divide among warring factions that go forking crazy in defense of downhill right of way, versus the spoonful cautioning of those crossing trails or waiting at intersections for the rest of the group. It's like Twix factory right firing scuds at Twix left. I love the chiming in of those with nothing intelligent to offer, than right on so-and-so, and I side with so-and-so.

We all have some responsibility in shaping the trails (the social atmosphere, not just the dirt and rocks). Personally, I agree that one bears responsibility to be attentive to those coming down the hill, and not make yourself into a problem. But, if team superstar is coming through like a freight train while others are on the trail, across a known intersection (that they in all likelihood have crossed a hundred times) they share the responsibility too.

Best case scenario, the waiting groups moves to the best spot out of the way, the downhill rider trims the brakes, as he has no clue how many people are in the waiting group, or when another may be entering the frame. Simple courtesy avoids all of this crap, but robs us of the opportunity to argue (and who would want that?).

Totally agree. Maybe said rider did 'trim the brakes' which made him go from 'bat out of hell' to 'way faster than all of us but well within control'. The problem here is that it's all opinion like I said. If this intersection does become a problem then maybe a switchback just before the crossing is in order or something.

Jan. 11, 2016, 11:40 a.m.

A lot of people on the trails yesterday, need some snow melt on Fromme to spread out the masses….lots of nice new work on Seymour too :)
imho
When people stop on the trail they need to be well off of it to allow uphill or downhill riders, runners or hikers the ability to get by without impeding them; if people are impeding the riders I dont think the solution is to rip through the group at top speed, a loud suggestion to get well off to the side and keep the trail clear is likely in order though. This includes making sure your dog is not blocking trails either….

Jan. 11, 2016, 11:41 a.m.

Don't park yourself in the middle of a black diamond downhill mountain bike trail! So simple. Look up and cross the trail if you are climbing. Having a pow wow with your buddies on the middle of the gnarliest part of a DH trail is just F'ing stupid. There's lots of space on either side to hang around. This is a lot of wasted energy. Also, contacting someones employer to complain about them riding fast down a trail is so lame. I completely disagree with the poster of this thread and think his actions were reckless. Does that mean I should contact his employer and complain about him??

You weren't there to see it. Neither was I. I was just the reactive zealot who suggested contacting the sponsor (not employer), but only if it was clear recklessness accompanied by unwarranted rudeness. The internet did the rest.

Etiquette, manners. So freaking hard to fathom these days. can't blame it on Strava. However, seem to be lots of riders that aren't simply glad to see others on the trail, or seem reluctant to consider any suggestion to change their ways for others. Instead of welcoming and accommodating, we all have to compete compete compete. Have to PB, have to own the trail, have to be entitled to stand my ground, have to stake my claim.

How about slowing down, saying hi, making sure each other is all good. Yes, stay out of the way whenever possible, but also expect people to be in your way now and then.

I still stick to the suggestion, that if someone is out there creating unnecessary risks to others, and they're doing it in the name of being awesome and flying their team colours, those team colours can attract both negative and positive reports. I will always side with the slower rider A) because of the Alpine code [in whatever limited scope it applies to MTB], B)because casual riders and those unfamiliar with the trail network are many, and elite riders are few (and elitist), and C) because I believe the future of the sport is dependent upon some modicum of restraint and a bit of brakes, and erring to accommodate all potential obstacles (not just other riders), and not just catering all etiquette towards going faster faster faster.

Jan. 11, 2016, 11:42 a.m.

Jan. 11, 2016, 11:47 a.m.

Still not sure why a rider should slow down as to not frighten some people on the side of the trail.

I think this is the crux of the matter, and I don't see any reason why riders shouldn't slow down at intersections personally. To use a dog owner analogy that gets brought up a lot, just because I'm comfortable with something, it doesn't mean that everyone else is. Is it really that hard for people to be aware of their surroundings and be mindful that anything can happen? Really?

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 11, 2016, 11:48 a.m.

Whining, entitled, hapless trail boner stops at a high speed intersection and has the nerve to put more riders coming down in harms way by blocking the trail on purpose, then has even more nerve to claim the downhill riders have "no respect" and "were not concerned about possible risk to other trail users".

Just because you think you're entitled to tea and crumpets with your knitting circle wherever you please because "trail users" doesn't give you the right or moral high ground to be trail cop. If you were clear of the intersection and someone came through and scared you, that's on you. If you pull a convoy of vehicles over on the side of the highway to take in the view, and someone goes by at highway speeds and scares you, who's in the wrong? If you then park your car in the middle of the highway to slow down the next car, you're not only stupid and wrong, you're liable. You could have stopped shorter or further and have avoided the problem entirely. Instead you chose to actually put people in danger to prove your point. Sounds like you were in the wrong to me buddy. Normally most people would give it a pass as a typical busy day trail conflict, but if you take to the keyboard like an accusatory, entitled prick, you're gonna get some flak.