No Respect

Jan. 9, 2016, 9:50 p.m.

So a few of us were stopped at the top of Penny Lane this afternoon waiting for some stragglers when a sponsored enduro rider came ripping down Severed and right through the middle of our group at very high speed with no warning at all. This is a pretty busy trail intersection and there were lots of people around on this very busy day. When I heard his mates ripping down towards us just as fast I had enough and stood in the trail with my bike so they had to slow down. I politely told them that they were out of line but their response made it clear that they were the only ones who mattered and were not concerned about possible risk to other trail users. Pretty irresponsible attitude, especially when you are wearing your sponsor's shirt with your name on it. At the risk of sounding like the grumpy old curmudgeon that I am, I really felt the need to post this.

Jan. 9, 2016, 10:03 p.m.

You saw the sponsors name. Phone them up and let them know. Go straight to the marketing or team manager department. Most people sponsoring any level of athlete have very low tolerance for bulls**T displays of public stupidity.

Of course it depends on how egregious the stupidity was, and how rude they were when you (assuming a calm and polite manner) told them to take care. If they pose a potential risk to others, then they threaten all of us in the ability to access the trails. Better some snotball Endouchero rider gets the Ferguson hair-dryer treatment from the sponsor, than some hiker get pasted.

Before anyone gripes about meddling with someone's meal ticket, be clear that ride sponsorship is not much of a meal ticket. For 99% it means some free shwag and a lift to events. Getting humbled or even booted is not likely to affect anyone's career path. If they have the talent to make a legit run at living off riding, they'll figure it out and straighten out. If they don't have top end talent (reality for 99%), then worse you do is cost the d-bag a few free jerseys.

Signed, another grumpy old curmudgeon

Jan. 9, 2016, 10:10 p.m.

Lots of 'big' names out there today.

Jan. 9, 2016, 10:29 p.m.

Just to look at the other side, why do you think there is a requirement for those coming down Severed to yield to those standing around waiting for their group? I usually try to stand out of the way when I'm there. When I hear someone coming down Severed, I stay out of the way. Same when someone is coming up the climb and wants to keep going. Although the Penny Lane - Severed intersection is a natural break point, it is probably not the best place to stand around.

Given the popularity of both Severed and the climb, perhaps more needs to be done to reduce conflict there. Think Squamish Legacy climb crossing Half Nelson: lots of signage, clear directives to yield to the high-speed descent trail.

Jan. 10, 2016, 6:47 a.m.

full sträva in effect.

Jan. 10, 2016, 6:58 a.m.

Just to look at the other side, why do you think there is a requirement for those coming down Severed to yield to those standing around waiting for their group? I usually try to stand out of the way when I'm there. When I hear someone coming down Severed, I stay out of the way. Same when someone is coming up the climb and wants to keep going. Although the Penny Lane - Severed intersection is a natural break point, it is probably not the best place to stand around.

Given the popularity of both Severed and the climb, perhaps more needs to be done to reduce conflict there. Think Squamish Legacy climb crossing Half Nelson: lots of signage, clear directives to yield to the high-speed descent trail.

Unless it's a race, the downhill rider can slow down and be respectful of other riders. That's a busy spot and there is no need to haul ass through there.

Jan. 10, 2016, 7:44 a.m.

So you guys were hanging out in the middle of a trail?

Jan. 10, 2016, 7:49 a.m.

Yeah, that's how I read it too. I don't know this intersection specifically but I'm crusty enough to know to stay the fuck out of the way when I'm stopped. It's just the courtious thing to do

Sounds like he chose to stay in the way and got told off for it.

Jan. 10, 2016, 8:24 a.m.

So you guys were hanging out in the middle of a trail?

maybe it wasn't the best place to be stopped, but to tear through the middle of a group like that with no warning is pretty irresponsible. all it takes is one person to move a bit in the wrong direction at the wrong time and two people could end up getting hurt.

if someone doesn't want to get their time or their flow ruined at least yell out rider so the people they're coming upon know there's a rider coming down the trail.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 10, 2016, 8:27 a.m.

There is no excuse for a rudeness, but that is not a great place to stand. That rider probably felt that it was easier for him to blast through that section between you, than risk trying to stop (hard in that section) or notify you so that your group could skatter in any number of random directions, which is the most dangerous scenario.

There are two choices - limit how people ride down that section or have it a no stopping zone for those doing the climb.

But the rider shouldnt have been rude about it.

Jan. 10, 2016, 8:29 a.m.

FWIW more than one sponsored rider politely said hi, thank you, and shared the trail when our crew was walking out with tools in hand. I guess it makes sense that they were more courteous to the people building them new trail than the people obstructing the trail. But yeah, it's never a good idea to be rude or provoke conflict for either party.

Jan. 10, 2016, 8:34 a.m.

Standing in the trail is dumb. Always.

So is being a jerk.

Sounds like a convergence of the two.

Jan. 10, 2016, 8:52 a.m.

Maybe the middle of a downhill trail isn't the smartest/safest place to regroup. There's a long level section on PL just before it crosses Severed, plenty of room there to stand and chat.

I think if there had been a collision, your group would be as least as responsible, if not more than the rider in question.

Jan. 10, 2016, 9:16 a.m.

Thats awesome! The shore just wouldnt be the same without drama. Personally i like to shit talk the trail runners.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 10, 2016, 9:19 a.m.

Now I know why when Im nearing the top of GSM that I seem to have less gas left in the tank than the people ahead whom I trying to catch - all you guys are stopping on the climb!

Grind up and rest at the top!

:scream: