Nice work

July 19, 2016, 10:30 a.m.

ok, so i'm really trying to wrap my head around this having been involved in the process for a while now and even going well back to before there was a formal permit process and discussions on allowable work with the land manangers were done on a face to face basis.

it doesn't make any sense to me that the dnv would give and then rescind permission for certain aspects of trail work, they simply don't operate that way. the only thing i can imagine right now is that this work was unsanctioned and put in without permission from the DNV. this strikes me as odd as the nsmba and it's build team are very aware of the permit process and the steps they need to go through in regards to new work including lines and structures.

i hope this doesn't mean that other work they've been doing recently has been unsanctioned as this could jeopardize the working relationship the nsmba and independent trail builders have with the land managers. i would hate to see that happen after all the work that has been put in to building a relationship with the land managers over the past 20 years or so.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 19, 2016, 2:39 p.m.

"This trail is permanently closed/decommissioned"

http://www.trailforks.com/trails/pink-starfish/

Yikes.

July 19, 2016, 3:07 p.m.

"This trail is permanently closed/decommissioned"

http://www.trailforks.com/trails/pink-starfish/

Yikes.

What a shame, been meaning to try out PS again, but I guess I missed the window on this one. The video http://www.pinkbike.com/video/445694 shows the newer stunts which look to be very well constructed and totally within the range for what was a black / double black trail, located well up the mountain.

As much as I can see the A-frame on NH removed, the destruction of PS is complete crap!!!

July 19, 2016, 4:07 p.m.

Maybe the builder (Pat?) can comment? He's probably even more pissed than me. I've been working on drops and more difficult structures this year, and PS was going to be the natural progression.

We seem to have moved away from the original topic. I wanted this post to be positive, not negative. I'll create a new post asking about what happened on PS and maybe we can keep this post positive in regard to the (good) new trail work?

July 19, 2016, 9:03 p.m.

the new bits were solidly built, and of relatively low consequence. i had hoped it was part of a legacy rebuild; alas, this was not the case. had a fun ride down there a few weeks ago; brought back some good memories. an unfortunate turn of events.

July 19, 2016, 9:14 p.m.

the new bits were solidly built, and of relatively low consequence. i had hoped it was part of a legacy rebuild; alas, this was not the case. had a fun ride down there a few weeks ago; brought back some good memories. an unfortunate turn of events.

What a waste. I, like so many, had thought it had been saved from the chopping block.

Thread killer

July 19, 2016, 11:47 p.m.

It would probably be prudent not to fuel the internet rumour mill and just wait and see if any of the involved parties speak up.

Or is that too rational?