Nice work

July 14, 2016, 9:39 a.m.

Amazing the work that's been done on some of these trails:
http://www.nsmba.ca/content/2016-07_june-trail-update

July 14, 2016, 1:24 p.m.

I've been riding Seymour the last few months but ventured over to Fromme on Sunday, was surprised with how smooth Floppy is running. Also noticed some (recent?) work on Pipeline including new woodwork in progress toward the teeters at the bottom. Planning on heading over tonight, I've never ridden Natural High so it seems like a good time to check that out.

Thank you builders and NSMBA.

July 15, 2016, 1:06 p.m.

Wait, so they took out the bridge near the beginning of natural high where you pedal up and over the big stump to the steep roller?

July 15, 2016, 3:30 p.m.

Yes "they" did.

As much I liked that feature, I can understand why it is gone. Way too much a high-risk feature so accessible right at the base of the mountain.

Rode up to that point on Wednesday to have a look at the trail, but didn't bother riding out the full trail. The little drop after what was the stump ramp looks to still be in place.

"They" have done some amazing work all over the mountain, including a bunch of updates on Ladies and other trails higher up on the mountain, as mentioned in this thread. Haven't checked out all the new work, but it looks great.

Another big thank you to the builders and NSMBA.

July 16, 2016, 11:15 p.m.

Yes "they" did.

As much I liked that feature, I can understand why it is gone. Way too much a high-risk feature so accessible right at the base of the mountain.

Rode up to that point on Wednesday to have a look at the trail, but didn't bother riding out the full trail. The little drop after what was the stump ramp looks to still be in place.

"They" have done some amazing work all over the mountain, including a bunch of updates on Ladies and other trails higher up on the mountain, as mentioned in this thread. Haven't checked out all the new work, but it looks great.

Another big thank you to the builders and NSMBA.

I would also like to say thank you to the NSMBA and volunteers who do such an incredible job on the trails. I know from my experience helping to organize trials events that people take for granted that it is a tiny few who put in the work so the many can ride. My first post only called out what I saw as a negative and ignored all the incredible work that was done, and I apologize for that.

As someone who loves the shore for its tech gnar, I sometimes feel at odds with trail work because, in almost all cases, it makes the trail easier. I rode Natural High today and felt like most of the challenging features had been removed or dumbed down. That being said, I am very excited to see what advanced features they have in store for it for the future.

July 17, 2016, 8:11 a.m.

As someone who loves the shore for its tech gnar, I sometimes feel at odds with trail work because, in almost all cases, it makes the trail easier. I rode Natural High today and felt like most of the challenging features had been removed or dumbed down. That being said, I am very excited to see what advanced features they have in store for it for the future.

Agreed.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

July 17, 2016, 11:37 p.m.

Many trails that have been perceived as dumbed down in fact actually suffered from erosion and an accumulation of many years of under maintenance or in some cases neglect. Situations where the original builder's intent was no longer reflected in the nature of the trail. I for one do not believe that the most easily accessible trails should be difficult ones. There should be progression as you move up the mountain. In that spirit, having natural high as a black or double black trail would be inconsistent with the idea of a trail network that encourages progression. If you want challenge there is still plenty of challenge on Fromme, you just have to pedal up a bit further. The NSMBA is finally in a position to reflect a vision where the trails we have are part of a network and that ultimately for our sport to continue to expand we need progression. When your mandate is to have trails for all, it can only be successfully met by unceasing diversity.

I completely agree that the lower trails should have easier options so that they are accessible to newer and/or younger riders, but given that every feature on Natural High (edited: mistakenly said Immonator before)had a ride around option, wouldn't it have made sense to keep the original features (or refresh them if they were no longer structurally sound)? This would still follow the mandate of having trails for all without resulting in a net loss of gnar. I'm not trying to be negative, but want to better understand the rationale. I'm relatively new to the shore and am still learning the past, present and future of the trails here.

July 18, 2016, 7:46 a.m.

I completely agree that the lower trails should have easier options so that they are accessible to newer and/or younger riders, but given that every feature on Immonator had a ride around option, wouldn't it have made sense to keep the original features (or refresh them if they were no longer structurally sound)? This would still follow the mandate of having trails for all without resulting in a net loss of gnar. I'm not trying to be negative, but want to better understand the rationale. I'm relatively new to the shore and am still learning the past, present and future of the trails here.

Dave
I think you mean Natural High and not Immonator, unless Immonator has changed since your video of it. BTW - Nice riding, you made short work of that trail - http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=164056). Keep posting these videos, nice to see lines ridden well.

Before the parking lot went in, Natural High was a trail that often closed out a ride for me. I miss the big A-frame. Did the other smaller drops on the trail also get removed?

Agreed it is a fine line on managing the trail features and the relationships with the various bodies that own or are in charge of the land management. NSMBA seems to be on an upswing with all the fantastic work that is being done on the shore, unfortunately with that comes a few casualties and a portion of Natural High is one such casualty.

I had put some $$$ towards the legacy fund in the hopes that the money would be used to develop more of an old school trail. That didn' happen in the true sense of getting a new line with old school features, but what it did was to further refresh an already great trail in Ladies Only. Seen some of the pictures, but have yet to get out and ride it. I ride once or usually twice a week and with all the fantastic options out there, I have yet to make my way back to Ladies, yet. Perhaps this week. Riding on the shore is as good as it's ever been and that's saying something.

July 18, 2016, 10:12 a.m.

Can anyone comment on what happened with pink starfish? Awesome looking well built stunts built and now torn down? I hadn't ridden it yet and now I'm too late. Rode the Ladies Only refresh last night and it was nice but was already a great trail. I was kind of hoping the heritage fund would do something like resurrect an older trail such as pink starfish. Maybe next year?

July 18, 2016, noon

I had ridden Pink Starfish twice during [HTML_REMOVED] after the rebuilding of some stuff took place [HTML_REMOVED] was thrilled it was coming back to life. Sad to hear it has been torn down now. From what I saw, the building was quality work.

Thread killer

July 18, 2016, 9:15 p.m.

Dave
I think you mean Natural High and not Immonator, unless Immonator has changed since your video of it.

Good catch! Edited my original post. I had Immonator on the brain after editing that footage :)

July 19, 2016, 8:34 a.m.

The new woodwork on Pink Starfish was totally awesome! I think I rode the new features four or five times. Such a shame it's being torn down! I'm also very curious what the reason could be.

July 19, 2016, 9:26 a.m.

For the same reason the woodwork was torn down on CBC. The landowners don't want to be responsible for the maintenance and don't want the liability. Lot's of good work happening on the Shore these days, but this particular aspect is very sad.

July 19, 2016, 9:36 a.m.

For the same reason the woodwork was torn down on CBC. The landowners don't want to be responsible for the maintenance and don't want the liability. Lot's of good work happening on the Shore these days, but this particular aspect is very sad.

If what you say is true, then the DNV gave permission to rebuild the woodwork on Starfish then told the NSMBA to take it down?

How does this bode for the woodwork on Ladies?

What a waste of DNV and NSMBA membership funds. I wonder if cost more to take it down then put it up…

What a kick in the pants for the builders to have to remove such well constructed features.

Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

July 19, 2016, 9:44 a.m.

it would be nice to get some reasonss from the DNV for the removal of the new woodwork on PS. are they going to be reimbusing the NSMBA for their losses on that work?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer