New to the Shore, and Shore riding...

March 1, 2007, 4:46 p.m.

Ok, first post, better make this count…

I just moved to North Van from the UK by way of Edmonton, AB, and I'm stoked to be able to get out on the bike ASAP. Trouble is, I have a ton of experience with 'regular trail riding, but very little with the typical Shore riding. Where's a good place to start out, without wrecking myself / soiling my pants first time out? I was up on Seymour a couple of days ago and rode Bridle Path with no problems at all, what's the next step up in trail difficulty? Sorry for the noob questions.

Oh yeah, the other thing… I work as a mountain bike photographer and I'm always looking to hook up with some riders to shoot - being new out here means I've got very few contacts (read: friends, hah). So let's get it on, baby. In the photographical sense, yeah.

- Dan

March 1, 2007, 4:51 p.m.

Hello and welcome to NSMB and the North Shore.

I too am an escapee from the UK (there seam to be a lot of us here) and can show you around some of the easier trails on Fromme.

Just drop me a PM.

PS nice pics on your webby.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

March 1, 2007, 7:09 p.m.

welcome to the shore! I was going to say sorry you had to come through Edmonton, but hey, all the more you'll appreciate Vancouver! You'll find tons of brits here, I ride with a bunch too. Best way to meet new people here is by coming to trail days! First one is coming fast, March 18 on Boogieman (Seymour). Check out www.nsmba.bc.ca for all the dates, and Ripper races are good fun too. See you out there!

March 1, 2007, 7:15 p.m.

Good idea: Fromme is a good start. First shore trail my friends took me on was Ladies and I must have ridden that trail a dozen times before I even knew there were other trails on the mountain. Have fun!

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

March 1, 2007, 7:49 p.m.

Hey Dan, nsride are a good way to get going on your first year on the shore, they helped me no end. And I was a total noob last year (now almost up to total hack). All levels [HTML_REMOVED] styles of riding catered for.

www.nsride.com

As for trails, Pipeline (Fromme) is probably the most typical blue (intermediate) trail from what I know, though you might want to wait for the snow to clear.

March 1, 2007, 8:09 p.m.

Come out on the Sunday morning rides. http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=93100

We even have a resident Brit so you guys can talk tea and crumpets :lol:

It's an unorganized gong show at best, but it's pretty much non-stop humour and no one is serious about anything. Don't worry about riding experience, they let me come, so the door is wide open.

March 1, 2007, 8:22 p.m.

Come out on the Sunday morning rides. http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=93100

We even have a resident Brit so you guys can talk tea and crumpets :lol:

It's an unorganized gong show at best, but it's pretty much non-stop humour and no one is serious about anything. Don't worry about riding experience, they let me come, so the door is wide open.

sunday rides are a good place to get started.

March 1, 2007, 8:22 p.m.

Woodlots awesome to learn on too. Drop me a pm if you want me to show you around, im more than willing

March 1, 2007, 8:57 p.m.

Awesome, Sunday rides sound like what I'm after, and Knnn and freakonaleash I'll take you up on those offers too!

March 1, 2007, 9:42 p.m.

welcome to BC :)
i think the best place for you to decide which trail is best for you is gutsploder it has maps and pictures for all the big and best mtns in the GVRD (greater Vancouver regional district) but if you wanna get on the bike ASAP and wanna shred some alright trails head up to burnaby mountain, really easy to get to and you can get like 15 runs in one day, cause the 145 bus to the top makes it really easy and cheap…. you can find maps for it on BMBA
oh and if you are up there at any time just give me a PM i live right there and would be more then happy to show you around

March 1, 2007, 10:01 p.m.

Awesome, Sunday rides sound like what I'm after, and Knnn and freakonaleash I'll take you up on those offers too!

Killer ! Just pm me when you want me to show you round.

March 1, 2007, 10:17 p.m.

I've been there and done that… moved from the UK 6 years ago.

I'd start on trails like 7th secret on Fromme and wind into Leapoard trail etc. The sad thing is that it's snowy up there right now which'll make it even more of a human sacrifice.

Sadly I think your best option (and this isn't as glamorous) is to ride at the Delta Watershed and South Surrey Bike park. Less mountainous, but with some good singletrack and stunts to get up to speed on. They have a skills park at SSBP with drops and skinnies to get used to and then you'll be a little more confidient on the shore.

Just don't rush into things and get hurt. After riding in the UK the sustained steeps and downhill is hard to get used to, but soon your forearms will get more popeye like.

Jon.

Jon-boy.

March 1, 2007, 10:17 p.m.

Dan, Richard showed me your gearswap photos, and we'd love to have you as one of the official NSMBA photographers.

The best way to learn the trails is to hike them first, and then you'll have a good idea of if you want to go near them on a bike. there's a bunch of trail day photo's here Some of them are mine (Ned's day), and I know for sure the photography could be improved 10 fold.

March 2, 2007, 1:05 a.m.

…..One more thing, if youre thinking of coming out for one of our "famous Sunday rides", youd better bring a good sense of humour and have the ability to detect sarcasm…..`cause we pile it on…"extra thick"!

Ride what ya want, we`ll still make fun of it…..ohh, and check out some of our amazing local dentists while your here :lol:

PS….Sunday ride this week!

04 RMX Team with05 Boxxer WCs …..say hi

stop repn me…i dont deserve it, its true, im a phoney…a big phat phoney!
so what….big woop….wanna fight about it?!

I like to race………does that make me a racist ? :banned:

March 2, 2007, 1:31 a.m.

…..One more thing, if youre thinking of coming out for one of our "famous Sunday rides", youd better bring a good sense of humour and have the ability to detect sarcasm…..`cause we pile it on…"extra thick"!

Ride what ya want, we`ll still make fun of it…..ohh, and check out some of our amazing local dentists while your here :lol:

PS….Sunday ride this week!

I wouldn't listen to Rod.. he's kinda crazy.. Shuttling SFU is lamorz.. it's like a 20min climb up the road, if you're slow.. a little longer up the back way.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.