New shore rider... riding buddies needed!

March 12, 2014, 9:30 a.m.

Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum so… hello!

As the title suggests, I'm new to the area and would love it if I could tag along on a few rides to get to know the area a little. I'm from N. Ireland but I'm up visiting my partner in Vancouver for a month before moving out here full time this summer.

I raced the Dirty Duo last weekend which covered some of the trails on Seymour which were pretty awesome (Ned's in particular!). I'm really keen to explore the other trails and get involved but I'm a bit wary on riding unfamiliar trails on my own.

Are there any regular group rides at the minute, or would anyone fancy showing me around?

Cheers,
Dave

March 12, 2014, 10:59 a.m.

Go to Meet Up.com and there are some groups there.

The Int/Adv group has languished
and there are some others.

Are you DH? Are you a Climber? What bike?

Welcome to our paradise. Please do not tell your friends!

March 12, 2014, 11:14 a.m.

Welcome!
Here are two super useful resources for exploring the Shore:

http://trailmapps.com/

http://nsmb.myshopify.com/products/locals-guide-to-north-shore-rides (there's also a North Shore Trail App based on this book)

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 12, 2014, 12:12 p.m.

Cheers guys, I'll try not to tell too many people but… I think the secret may be out already ;)
Thanks for the info- just joined the 'meetup' group.

I ride all sorts, but I've a Norco Sight here so I won't be doing anything too crazy. Probably looking for some xc/am loops.

Craw - I've actually got a copy of that book (bought it for my gf when she moved out here), I'm just not overly confident on my navigation skills haha. I'm happy exploring when there's someone to get lost with, but not to keen to go exploring on my own just yet!

Cheers,
Dave

March 12, 2014, 1:06 p.m.

Cheers guys, I'll try not to tell too many people but… I think the secret may be out already ;)
Thanks for the info- just joined the 'meetup' group.

I ride all sorts, but I've a Norco Sight here so I won't be doing anything too crazy. Probably looking for some xc/am loops.

Craw - I've actually got a copy of that book (bought it for my gf when she moved out here), I'm just not overly confident on my navigation skills haha. I'm happy exploring when there's someone to get lost with, but not to keen to go exploring on my own just yet!

Cheers,
Dave

If you pick up the app version of the book then you get GPS tracking overlaid on the maps. It's incredibly helpful for finding your way around.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/locals-guide-to-north-shore/id524920272?mt=8

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 12, 2014, 1:18 p.m.

http://www.nsmba.ca/content/2014-03_forever-after-public-trail-day-april-5th

a good chance to hike the Hyannis trails and learn where they are, meet other riders, plus put a shovel to the dirt you will be riding.

March 12, 2014, 3:23 p.m.

Unfortunately I'm on a UK phone so don't want to use data rates abroad as that will kill me! Probably a good idea when I get a Canadian number though.

Sadly I leave to go back to the UK on 2nd April so won't be able to make that trail day. I saw this NSRIDE 'tap' day and had thought it might be worth attending: http://www.nsride.com/node/9165

D

March 13, 2014, 3:23 p.m.

Sadly I leave to go back to the UK on 2nd April so won't be able to make that trail day. I saw this NSRIDE 'tap' day and had thought it might be worth attending: http://www.nsride.com/node/9165D

Hey Dave, I saw your post and was going to suggest NSride as great way to learn the trails but their main season doesn't start until after you leave. BUT come out to the trail day on 30th, always good to get some karma in the bank! PM me if you need more details

Sustainable will be around forever.

March 18, 2014, 3:58 p.m.

Hey guys, didn't want to start a new thread about this so thought I would post here. I am new to Vancouver and was wondering if anyone fancied a ride on the north shore trails tomorrow? Don't know my way around the trails and would be nice to meet up with a fellow rider! Cheers
Duncan

March 18, 2014, 4:18 p.m.

Duncan, what do you ride? Where are you located? Do you have a car? What is your skill level?

March 18, 2014, 5:14 p.m.

I currently have a demo rocky instinct. Live in south east van but work in north van and don't mind pedaling! Not ridden properly in a few months dues to shoulder surgery but have raced dh since I was about 16 and riding stuff like the fort william dh on 130mm travel bikes and "locals" trails (super steep with bugger all traction and lots of roots)

March 18, 2014, 7:03 p.m.

Heya, there are four of us pedalling up Fromme from the "yeawedoo" meet up group tomorrow before starting with our lives. If you know where that is, we meet at the second yellow gate by the water tower and message post at 8AM. From parking on Mountain Highway at Coleman (you cannot park higher up Mountain Highway than that) it is a 20 min pedal to the second gate typically. We are taking our "small" AM bikes for this because of pedalling. Message me privately if you are interested. If you are not familiar with Fromme the hardest part is getting to the second gate- the road is steep! If you cannot make it there is always next time.

March 19, 2014, 6:16 a.m.

The Fromme Ride for today Wed Mar 16 is cancelled due to weather. @6:05 Am…

Edited Please confirm scot dank- as I am sitting in my grey SUV at Coleman and mountain hwy right now at 7:05 to catch you

Edited- Ok good- you had good sense not to go Scotdunk- pouring rain here- confident you did not get past me since no one was with a bike, with a car/bus. 7:52am