New Seymour trail

Aug. 21, 2013, 8:08 a.m.

Mrs G named it after me as she has been Happy Forever After she married me ;)

Congrats to her for picking the winning name.

Aug. 21, 2013, 11:17 a.m.

i've ridden the new trail three times now, always doing dales first

am i correct in thinking you could bypass dales by simply turning left where the bp/mushroom trail meets the powerlines? i'd like to take some friends to check it out this evening, but i'm not sure they're up for dales

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Aug. 21, 2013, 11:19 a.m.

you could, but powerlines is a rough rocky road.

Aug. 21, 2013, 11:34 a.m.

easier you think to simply ride down dales?

i feel like the powerlines won't be pleasant, but the route is less technically difficult

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Aug. 21, 2013, 11:34 a.m.

You could go in Hyannis to powerlines, push up the powerlines to AfterDales. It's not that far up….

Aug. 21, 2013, 12:07 p.m.

Would be nice if eventually there was some sort of (less technical than Dales) trail to get to the new trail. Either a nice climbing route from below or an easier descent from above. Good to have easier trails like this to allow beginners to work their way up to the more difficult Shore trails.

Aug. 21, 2013, 2:10 p.m.

I checked out the power line route last week. At speed it can be a but sketch, but fun. For an intermediate, I think it's ok at slow speeds. Won't be the most fun, but it's not that long.

Aug. 21, 2013, 6:56 p.m.

You could go in Hyannis to powerlines, push up the powerlines to AfterDales. It's not that far up….

That's what I did the other day. Being the internet, it was fine. I lost traction a couple of times and my heart rate went above 110bpm once.

Actually it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. More pushing than riding (for me) due to all the baby heads and no granny ring. I was ready to curse when I saw the super steep section of the Powerlines trail and then realized that Dales ends at the bottom of it. I don't know whether climbing up BP is a better or worse option? More climbing but no idea what the trail is like.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Aug. 21, 2013, 7:28 p.m.

rode down powerline as well to the new trail. rides fine. it's about 10 mins of descent. there is only one section of really bad baby heads. in reality, a short section of reroute around the baby-head section would be nice fix for this loop. really good loop otherwise, riding up old buck, baden to powerlines, down new trail, back on bridal, salimandar, and out.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

Aug. 21, 2013, 8:12 p.m.

Why not just sack up and ride/walk dales?

Thats how we used to progress at riding, and goshdarned it,we liked it!!

Climbing to and then down the powerlines just seems like a waste of time when there is fun to be had up ahead on Dales.

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 21, 2013, 8:54 p.m.

Climbing to and then down the powerlines just seems like a waste of time when there is fun to be had up ahead on Dales.

Could not have said that better myself! Some of you boys need to HTFU, I took one of my friends down Dales the other week, and she hasnt been riding that long (think a bit over a year) and she managed to clean the trail except for the big nasty rock move.

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Aug. 21, 2013, 8:59 p.m.

Agree, apart from the crazy rock portion the rest of Dales is pretty manageable. Few folk seem to even attempt this section in the groups I've done Dales with.

the rest of Dales is actually pretty fun, probably my favourite part of the loop anyway… having ridden all the way up, to head down the powerlines seems such a waste.

-

Aug. 21, 2013, 10:43 p.m.

it's called "options." it's not about being "hard core." give it a rest.

You're right,it's not about "being hardcore".

Its about embracing the sport and pushing yourself to new limits. Go outside of your comfort zone, it's well worth it!

Yes, Dales is challenging,but no amount of laps on a less challenging trail is going to help you clean those tougher trails. Just go for it, walk what you have to….I promise it will be worth your while.

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 21, 2013, 10:54 p.m.

Dales is a pretty big jump to new Aftertaste for an intermediate rider… Now that my kids are venturing higher up the mountain, I realize how much I've taken seemingly small differences for granted.

Also, not all riders want to push or scare the shit out of themselves, let alone walk 80% of a trail. They just want to ride. The point of Intermediate trails are to help grow the sport.

Selfishly, I like the fact that trail difficulty makes things prohibitive to most. Keeps things running better for those who can.

Aug. 21, 2013, 11:02 p.m.

If I want to climb as high as Dales I'll go to Fromme. I just find Dales a bit boring (I've ridden the steep rock section BITD but I'm a bit shit these days so I mince down it….), Neds is Neds….another trail which had better remain nameless is out of my league these days, there's no alternative line at the log ride on Boogieman for my puppy (ha!) etc etc…. The new trail fits in well with the lower Seymour trails so I'd rather loop it in with those. I don't feel any desire to 'MTFU' any more :) I've done enough of that over the years so now I ride a 29er :D

treezz
wow you are a ass