New Kilmer Creek Bridge on the Baden Powell on Fromme - Why no bicyle ramp like the old one?!?

Oct. 15, 2019, 5:56 p.m.

Xorrox just to be clear I wasn't trying to be a dick. I just know from what I have been told by my insider in the DNV is that we are somewhat considered a headache for the most part. Just not one to rock the boat when it could result in not getting the go ahead later on on a larger build because we are flooding them with emails on such a minor issue. That's all

Oct. 15, 2019, 8:30 p.m.

Its a multiuse trail and the entire trail has to match the classification. Its the same reason why there are no bike ramps on hiking only trails or stairs on biking only (or biking primary). You cant have part of the trial multiuse and part of it single use, and its pointless to have visa versa.

Its unfortunate that they consider people speaking up about oversights of how their own classification is implemented as a headache. Im not a DNV resident but I look forward to the day when there are no oversights. That said, I greatly appreciated the clarity and transparency, and mostly the effort, within the email response I received. I think that DNV is miles ahead of DWV when it comes to trails (maybe a good thing for DWV riders?). In the end I hope that authorized modifications are made to the bridge to allow all user groups (including horses!) to use it as intended.

Oct. 16, 2019, 8:09 a.m.

Has anyone ever seen a horse on the Baden on Fromme? Does the DNV actually take that user group into consideration? Baden from the Bottom of Espresso to the top of Boundary is mega janky.  Think they keep it to within Princess park, which has been widened and smoothed out for them throughout the park.

Oct. 16, 2019, 11:10 a.m.

Ive never seen a horse up there but, Im told, that theyre an official user group.

But someone did post a photo of a horses print on Fromme a couple days ago - I dont recall the location but I think it was high enough that it was a WTF

Oct. 16, 2019, 1:53 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Xorrox just to be clear I wasn't trying to be a dick. I just know from what I have been told by my insider in the DNV is that we are somewhat considered a headache for the most part. Just not one to rock the boat when it could result in not getting the go ahead later on on a larger build because we are flooding them with emails on such a minor issue. That's all

Yeah, no worries, I totally get what you are saying.  That was one of the reasons I asked the question I did at the beginning of this forum thread to see if anything was happening in the background to resolve this.  In this case based on what @cooperquinn said it sounded like this was an issue that was not getting resolved between NSMBA's sanctioned builders and the DNV.  That was also backed up by the DNV staff response I received. 

In an ideal world the DNV and NSMBA relationship would be good enough that issues like this would never come up because the DNV would properly consult with all user groups before making seemingly bass ackwards plans like this single use bridge replacement but it appears (from the outside looking in) that we are no where near this level of co-operation yet.

I do find it strange that even with the current high level of mountain biking popularity that most of the land managers on the North Shore still seem to be stuck in the dark ages when it comes to their attitude to mountain biking.  I know in general it is slowly getting better but.....

I'm sure the NSMBA does this to some degree already but I almost think they need to start a formal education program for the land managers including:

- A history of Mountain Biking on the North Shore and its world wide prominence as one of the the birth places of mountain bike freeriding. 

- The economic impact of mountain biking on the North Shore economy starting with a list of all the bike shops and working from there.  I'm curious if anyone has actually studied this because the impact must be pretty significant compared to almost any other form of recreation on the north shore other than possibly skiing.

- That the mountain biking community is no longer a niche, 'rebel' young male activity but encompasses families, young and (relatively) old, male and female. 

It's time our land managers started treating mountain biking as an asset to be supported, not a liability or annoyance to be "managed" but I'm not entirely sure how to make that happen.  Again, as someone who is not really on the inside track, this seems to be especially true of Metro Van / LSCR and BC Parks (not to mention CMHC) but that is just my general impression.