new $120K trail for squamish

Jan. 14, 2016, 7:19 p.m.

looks like sorca is up to some pretty amazing things

http://www.squamishchief.com/news/local-news/new-120-000-bike-trail-planned-for-2016-1.2149972

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 14, 2016, 7:45 p.m.

Man, that's great news. Really well deserved. We rode some great trails there this summer and we will most certainly be making a trip back again in 2016.

Jan. 14, 2016, 9:19 p.m.

Great idea
My only wish is we could make trail passes mandatory. I see out of towners constantly riding our local trails for free. I have mentioned to several Vancouver riders to help out and buy the $15 pass. I am usually told why would they when they can ride trails for free.

Man some people can be short sighted.

Jan. 15, 2016, 6:34 a.m.

Sorca should set up a booth at the bottom lot this spring and start hitting people up hard for trail passes. Especially when the lot is overflowing every weekend before Whistler opens.

Jan. 15, 2016, 7:12 a.m.

There is some merit to the trail pass idea, but should not be a hard rule. I have two or three of the maps. One is old, two are newer versions. Purchased the last one when I was last up in fall and had forgot my map at home. I don't mind paying $15 for a trail map that goes to help the trails.

The flipside is that many now use Trailforks, I would too, but have a Blackberry, so for now that is not a on ride option. Not sure of the model but I believe that in addition to working with the local trail association to ensure valid trails are shown, Trailforks also contributes to local trail associations.

All in all we are super lucky to be living in this area for the sheer volume and diversity of simply amazing mtb trails. I understand why some like trixie, noted above might feel protective, however riding with folks from out of the area or country and showing them a trail like Ruperts or countless others and seeing their stoke, makes sharing the trails all that much easier.

Jan. 15, 2016, 7:34 a.m.

Man some people can be short sighted.

Like NSMB forum users, you mean? :lol: Took all of two posts for this to show its ugly head.

Anyways - that $120k requires $40k from short-sighted and like-minded mountain bikers to donate, including an already large sum from SORCA and other sources. SO, for those that are thinking long-term for our sport, a $15 donation will go a long ways, in my short-sighted and humble opinion.

Knowing Ted, he will probably be doing work on this trail regardless of any short-sighted funding, as his commitment to mountain biking has never dropped in two decades.

Jan. 15, 2016, 7:45 a.m.

I don't even live there but I bought a trail map to show support. Now someone buy a KBRA membership in return! ;)

Jan. 15, 2016, 7:46 a.m.

Visitors are the only reason the trail network is as developed and operational as it is today.

pretty sure the main reason the trail network is there is due to the efforts of local volunteers and trail builders. maybe you can explain how visitors are somehow responsible instead?

Jan. 15, 2016, 8:43 a.m.

Hmmm… sorca wont accept my card :(

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 15, 2016, 9:17 a.m.

Buy a pass every year.
I don't think enforcing passes is the way to go.
Its just a sticker, goes on your bike. Which bike?
On your helmet, which Helmet? have two of those also.

Just hope that those who are regular users throw down.

Shout out to the efforts by SORCA, if it wasn't for the great flowy trails they have had for years, my wife would never got into the sport. The Shore was way too gnarly for a beginner years back.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Jan. 15, 2016, 10:33 a.m.

This is incredible!
Shows how organized Sorca is and that councilors on local government are supportive of spending tax dollars on trails.

I wouldn't focus on trail passes. I would focus on dedicated trail crews, amazing race series (downhill and toonies), fun rides(23 trails), social rides (non competitive and fun), and paying next to nothing for beer and food post sorca rides. This is where people will happily shell out some dough.

Climbing trails are a hellish ordeal to build, so anytime I see dollars going to those it makes me super happy. The other trails are nearly always built by volunteers who build them for free.

On a secondary note: Kudos to all BC communities. Seems like the trail network is taking off everywhere. It was not all that long ago that trails were hidden in the woods, and people feared the "liability" monster. Thank goodness that era is over.

Jan. 15, 2016, 11:21 a.m.

I always buy a SORCA pass, it's nice when they have the tent at the Diamond Head lot up past the university. Otherwise I'll grab one from the bike shops first ride of the year.

$15 as a price point makes it a no brainer for me.

Looks like NSMBA trail pass is $15 now? Nice. I remember it being $50 in the past which was too high.

Jan. 15, 2016, 11:51 a.m.

I always buy a SORCA pass, it's nice when they have the tent at the Diamond Head lot up past the university. Otherwise I'll grab one from the bike shops first ride of the year.

$15 as a price point makes it a no brainer for me.

Looks like NSMBA trail pass is $15 now? Nice. I remember it being $50 in the past which was too high.

Maybe it was the NSMBA membership you were thinking off ? It's $40.00 this year. (Adult)

Jan. 15, 2016, 11:53 a.m.

Sorca should set up a booth at the bottom lot this spring and start hitting people up hard for trail passes. Especially when the lot is overflowing every weekend before Whistler opens.

they do but try and focus on peak weekends through out the summer

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

Jan. 15, 2016, 12:01 p.m.

This is incredible!
Shows how organized Sorca is and that councilors on local government are supportive of spending tax dollars on trails.

I wouldn't focus on trail passes. I would focus on dedicated trail crews, amazing race series (downhill and toonies), fun rides(23 trails), social rides (non competitive and fun), and paying next to nothing for beer and food post sorca rides. This is where people will happily shell out some dough.

Climbing trails are a hellish ordeal to build, so anytime I see dollars going to those it makes me super happy. The other trails are nearly always built by volunteers who build them for free.

On a secondary note: Kudos to all BC communities. Seems like the trail network is taking off everywhere. It was not all that long ago that trails were hidden in the woods, and people feared the "liability" monster. Thank goodness that era is over.

A brilliant development indeed. More and more communities are seeing the economic benefit of visitors. Diversifying what was a resource based town economy can only be a good thing. When a lumber industry takes a downward trend or the mine shuts down, it is good to have a fallback of sorts. By itself mountain biking wouldn't likely keep a mining community in the middle of nowhere going, but for a place like Squamish it is a benefit.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.