Multi use vs bikes only

Jan. 3, 2019, 6:58 a.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Not quite the same topic but....

One of my fears is hooning* down something like John Deere or Boogie Nights only to be met by some clown riding UP. Granted, this isn't likely at the moment but as eBikes become more capable...

(I had this type of incident last week on the fast section of Bottletop)

So, personally, I'm all in favor one way trails.

* Otherwise known as riding the trail as it's designed to be ridden

as well not quite on topic but...

Last year while heading down lower shotgun at the woodlot, around a blind corner on a bridge that was built over an old bridge that had been wiped out after logging, I almost ran over a guy on a unicycle climbing up. He jumped off the bridge to save us both but landed on a spike left there from the previous bridge, it went right through his foot. I wondered when the last time he had a tetanus shot.

Jan. 4, 2019, 10:40 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

there is a fair bit of onus on the downhill rider to be riding in enough control so they can avoid people coming the opposite direction.

Well said, if you're not in control, you're out of control.

Jan. 5, 2019, 3:42 p.m.

I came down Bottletop today. I figured it would be good to see the trail again then see the new bridge. I encountered like 6 groups of people. Sure, it was Saturday afternoon. Luckily I wasn't going super fast and came to a slow stop to let them pass with a little greeting. Be careful out there.

Jan. 6, 2019, 9:27 a.m.

Metro really messed up Bottletop by making a super obvious wide gravel exit right next to the new bridge and then advertising it. 

Someone’s going to get hurt.

Jan. 6, 2019, 9:47 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

Metro really messed up Bottletop by making a super obvious wide gravel exit right next to the new bridge and then advertising it. 

It seems Metro have their own agenda and do whatever they want with out any consideration/consultation of other user groups which is complete BS considering they're a public entity that function on our dollars. They need to get their shit together and either consult with the right people or get their own people properly educated so they can make well informed decisions.

Jan. 6, 2019, 10:05 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: heckler

It seems Metro have their own agenda and do whatever they want with out any consideration/consultation of other user groups which is complete BS considering they're a public entity that function on our dollars. They need to get their shit together and either consult with the right people or get their own people properly educated so they can make well informed decisions.

At the very least there needs to be signs at the top warning cyclists and at the bottom warning pedestrians. Since it's clear from the routing at the bottom that Bottletop is for walking up they should specify Ridge Runner as cycling primary.

Last edited by: craw on Jan. 6, 2019, 10:05 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 8, 2019, 2:42 p.m.

Well I'd say that probably the contract called for the bridge contractor to tie into Bottletop and they wouldn't be trail builders so they just built what they know. So I'd say it's a lack of oversight by Metro rather than them specifically wanting what was built. It sure is a recipe for an incident though. 

Would signage really help though? How many tourists have you seen go up the grind in flip flops and the signs on that are highway size!

Jan. 9, 2019, 8:01 p.m.

I had similar concerns about the lack of signage on Bottletop so I emailed LSCR.

The reply I got is that they’re still finishing things up and that the trail is not currently open. They mentioned closed signs posted at the top of the trail and 100 m from the bottom, but I didn’t seem them when I was out there over the weekend.

Has anyone noticed the “closed” signs they are referring to?

Last edited by: D_C_ on Jan. 9, 2019, 8:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 9, 2019, 8:10 p.m.

Yes, the sign at the top is pretty obvious, actually.

Jan. 9, 2019, 8:17 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

wellllllll shit, that sure as hell throws a giant sized wrench made of 100% irony into the mix eh?

Jan. 9, 2019, 9:43 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

How recently were you up there? I was up last Saturday, and if there were signs, I definitely didn’t notice them.

Jan. 10, 2019, 10:10 p.m.

Jan 1st, so if the sign is gone, it's recent.

Jan. 11, 2019, 11:57 a.m.

Going to go ride it on Sunday. God damn hikers better stay outta my way or I will give them a stern talking to which won't be pleasant to say the least.

kidding

Up thru circuit 8, down to fisherman's over the new bridge to Seymour.... it's been years. Looking forward to it.

Jan. 13, 2019, 11:26 a.m.

Bottletop is a multi-directional, multi-use trail. Expect to see (lots) of foot traffic on Bottletop, ride accordingly. All (well, basically all) trails on Seymour are multi-use; expect foot traffic, and horses are also an option. There's no MTB only trails. 

LSCR will be improving signage (read: putting some up...). I don't know exactly what this will be, but likely the same as the rest of the area. Because signage standards. If they don't state it, and you think a sign at the bottom to set user expectations that downhill mountain bike traffic may be encountered would be a good idea.......... you can guess what I'm going to suggest. 

Yep. Another thread where I suggest taking a few moment and emailing the land manager with a respectful comment!

Jan. 14, 2019, 8:32 a.m.

Was great to finish up on Bottle top yesterday after all these years. Ya so Metro Van has put this perfect hiking trail right at the end of the bridge. Of course hikers/walkers are going to think the whole trail is going to be groomed gravel which it is not. They can only walk up so far because its a mud pit where its draining half way up. Lots of dog walkers with little dogs on the bottom half of the trail, so be careful.

There is zero signage at the bottom indicating that this trail is multi use with a strong chance of bike.