MTBer death on Fromme?

June 11, 2013, 8:31 a.m.

That's sad. His family will be in turmoil at the moment.

Ghost Bikes (not the brand) exist to remind people of deaths by bicycle. I don't think they're as useful in the woods as they are on the streets, but I wonder if some type of memorial is in order?

A ghost bike in the woods would be a good idea to remind us all of the risks we are taking every time we ride the Shore.

Don't settle for anything less than brass nipples.

-sanrensho

June 11, 2013, 8:41 a.m.

My condolences to the friends and family of the fallen rider. Being someone who rides alone a lot lately, this weighs heavily on my mind. Stay safe out there everyone, make it home every ride.

i do the same and ride differently when out solo.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 11, 2013, 8:43 a.m.

Tragic. I live on Mountain Hwy and cringe every time I hear a siren as I know often where its going. I knew something serious was up yesterday but this is much worse than expected. Condolences to friends and family and to the NSR team and that responded. Hard day for all.

Ride safe.

"Everybody loves something, even if its just tortillas"

June 11, 2013, 9:18 a.m.

What a tragic accident. My condolences to his family.

Stay safe and ride smart fellow riders.

June 11, 2013, 9:22 a.m.

I am at loss for words; how sad and tragic.

June 11, 2013, 9:23 a.m.

This always hits home hard. Condolences to the families.

Know your limits kids.

June 11, 2013, 9:35 a.m.

Terrible to hear. RIP.

Ride safe everybody

June 11, 2013, 9:39 a.m.

It would be nice to do something for the family when things have settled. It would do a lot for the community and visitors to the community here. Thoughts?

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

June 11, 2013, 9:42 a.m.

Tragic. My condolences go out to this gentleman's family and friends. It is a sobering reminder of the inherent dangers of this sport.

It would be disappointing to see this thread head in a direction based on assumptions of how well the rider knew the trail, or whether he was aware of his limitations. Accidents are accidents and they can happen to anyone regardless of how well you know the terrain, or how hard you may or may not be pushing yourself. Knowing one's limits can certainly reduce risk, but it will never remove it, and nobody here is in a position to draw conclusions about how this may have applied to a fallen fellow rider.

Terrible outcome for someone enjoying what we all love so much.

June 11, 2013, 9:47 a.m.

I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of a brother on Pipeline this afternoon. My condolences to the Family.

I have no idea what really happened or if the rider had been down pipeline before today or not. But it occurs to me that a rider with no experience on pipeline could have mistaken the teeter for a drop. If he was cranking on it to get speed so he could huck off it, and the teeter gave way under him, I can see how he might have hit the ground.

Anyways, maybe a marker near there indicating that its a teeter would be a good idea.

Good idea with the marker. That TTF is relatively tame once you have done it but you need to know what to expect.

June 11, 2013, 9:55 a.m.

There is little point in speculating before we hear what the coroner has to say. Fatal accidents happen anywhere there are people moving about, from bathtubs to sidewalks to mountain trails. It shouldn't really be surprising that this tragedy has occurred but it doesn't make it hurt any less.

Yesterday was a very sad day for mountain bikers everywhere - not just here on the North Shore. Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the fallen rider.

June 11, 2013, 10:01 a.m.

what Cam said, this isn't a speculation thread, keep it focused on condolences, please.

June 11, 2013, 10:09 a.m.

This is heart-wrenching and tragic. My condolences to his family and friends.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

June 11, 2013, 10:22 a.m.

reports on the radio said he sustained head and neck injuries and was unconscious when found. :(

June 11, 2013, 10:32 a.m.

That's horrible. RIP to the fallen rider.