Move over Monica...

Dec. 9, 2013, 11:51 a.m.

From his blog. With some great comments by Monica.

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=10921822[HTML_REMOVED]postID=2427477778025309062

yesterdays post is awesome

Dec. 9, 2013, 12:10 p.m.

well said:

Anonymous said…
You are welcome to your perspective Mocrael but what I object to is the disingenuous way you position your opposition to mountain biking. You have used safety, environmental concerns and most recently canine safety as reasons to ban or restrict mountain biking. If you were honest you'd come out and say that you just don't like mountain bikers. Who knows why that is the case but I suspect it was from some unpleasant encounter. There are some rude and unpleasant mountain bikers, just as there are rude and unpleasant members of any group, and it's likely that one or more of these individuals started you on your nonsensical crusade. I'm sorry you were subjected to this but you should know that inconsiderate riders are in the minority. We are not, as you content, all hot headed adrenaline junkies. We volunteer our time to minimize our impact on the environment, stop to allow hikers to pass and try to be courteous to other trail users.

I suspect you haven't actually entered the forest to have a look at the work that has been done in the last few years but if you had I doubt you would mention it. Trail building techniques have come a long way in recent years and if you were to leave your home next to the woods you'd see that we are doing better than ever at creating a sustainable network. An honest person would feel compelled to speak the truth but a zealot has no such compunction.

Your long-standing and myopic focus on mountain biking weakens your position to the point that most everyone has begun to tune you out. I know this for a fact. If the environment is really your concern why do we never hear you speak up about climate change or other issues that have the potential to dramatically affect the world we live in? The answer is that you are no environmentalist, you are a mountain bike hater.

In fact if you were really concerned about the North Shore and the trails here we might hear you talk about hiking trails that are in terrible disrepair. Have you hiked up Mosquito Creek? Mountain bikers don't use this area but the erosion is horrendous. What about the BCMC? Have you heard of it? It's a long steep trail that parallels the Grouse Grind. It was abandoned by the original builders and nor is it maintained by Grouse Mountain who profits from its existence. This trail has multiple lines that are heavily eroded and heavily trafficked but it never sees a mountain bike tire. Why are you not up in arms about this trail?

Nothing anyone says will dissuade you from your nonsensical vendetta but I think it's important for people to know that you are not an environmentalist nor a safety advocate: you are an irrational and cynical hater of mountain biking who will never listen to reason or accept our existence.

My fondest hope is that one of your offspring develops a love for mountain biking. It's an amazing way to stay healthy and, when done responsibly on well-built trails, an incredible way to experience the gifts of nature.

Dec. 9, 2013, 12:29 p.m.

Yes, my apprentice. Release your anger! Strike me down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards the Dark Side will be complete!

:lol::lol::lol:

Dec. 9, 2013, 1:32 p.m.

"And, Barry Reuger. You love dogs, or you would not have a dog walking business. I love dogs too. What do you think about mountain bikers dragging their dogs (even the "toy" size ones - Bichon, etc.) up and down trails,structures, etc. at high speed in all sorts of weather, and even at night time? Many of these rides go on for a couple hours or more…The dogs can end up injured, limping out of the woods, and usually end up with early onset arthritis from the kind of "trail running" the mountain bikers take their pooches on. Dogs in summer end up barely keeping up with their riders, tongues hanging to the ground, yet those loyal pets keep on running -- barely. It is cruel and sick!"

Oh yes. That's why I carry Ashka around in a pink bag (bag in one hand, latte in the other) and carry her along the Seawall. If I do have to put her on the ground, I always ensure that she wears those nice doggy booties and a colour matched coat. God forbid that she actually makes contact with her natural environment LOLWTF!

Ashka, as usual fecking off and running around the woods as soon as I stop, because she's sooooooo tired due to my cruel and sick treatment of her. and OMG!she has found and run along a man made structure LOLOLOLOL

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 9, 2013, 2:31 p.m.

Ashka, as usual fecking off and running around the woods as soon as I stop, because she's sooooooo tired due to my cruel and sick treatment of her. and OMG!she has found and run along a man made structure LOLOLOLOL

Well said! My dog puts in a least three times the distance on any given ride than me - by choice! I can't even bring my camelbak into the kitchen without her getting excited and standing in front of door, so I can't possibly forget her :)

That being said, I do leave her at home during mid-day rides on hot summer days. Luckily in Victoria, that accounts for maybe two months of the year.

Dec. 9, 2013, 3:59 p.m.

well said:

Anonymous said…
You are welcome to your perspective Mocrael but what I object to is the disingenuous way you position your opposition to mountain biking. You have used safety, environmental concerns and most recently canine safety as reasons to ban or restrict mountain biking. If you were honest you'd come out and say that you just don't like mountain bikers. Who knows why that is the case but I suspect it was from some unpleasant encounter. There are some rude and unpleasant mountain bikers, just as there are rude and unpleasant members of any group, and it's likely that one or more of these individuals started you on your nonsensical crusade. I'm sorry you were subjected to this but you should know that inconsiderate riders are in the minority. We are not, as you content, all hot headed adrenaline junkies. We volunteer our time to minimize our impact on the environment, stop to allow hikers to pass and try to be courteous to other trail users.

I suspect you haven't actually entered the forest to have a look at the work that has been done in the last few years but if you had I doubt you would mention it. Trail building techniques have come a long way in recent years and if you were to leave your home next to the woods you'd see that we are doing better than ever at creating a sustainable network. An honest person would feel compelled to speak the truth but a zealot has no such compunction.

Your long-standing and myopic focus on mountain biking weakens your position to the point that most everyone has begun to tune you out. I know this for a fact. If the environment is really your concern why do we never hear you speak up about climate change or other issues that have the potential to dramatically affect the world we live in? The answer is that you are no environmentalist, you are a mountain bike hater.

In fact if you were really concerned about the North Shore and the trails here we might hear you talk about hiking trails that are in terrible disrepair. Have you hiked up Mosquito Creek? Mountain bikers don't use this area but the erosion is horrendous. What about the BCMC? Have you heard of it? It's a long steep trail that parallels the Grouse Grind. It was abandoned by the original builders and nor is it maintained by Grouse Mountain who profits from its existence. This trail has multiple lines that are heavily eroded and heavily trafficked but it never sees a mountain bike tire. Why are you not up in arms about this trail?

Nothing anyone says will dissuade you from your nonsensical vendetta but I think it's important for people to know that you are not an environmentalist nor a safety advocate: you are an irrational and cynical hater of mountain biking who will never listen to reason or accept our existence.

My fondest hope is that one of your offspring develops a love for mountain biking. It's an amazing way to stay healthy and, when done responsibly on well-built trails, an incredible way to experience the gifts of nature.

Well said indeed. Why would that poster want to be anonymous when they post such an articulate and accurate response?

IMO, MC and her ilk have lost because they never offer legitimate viable options. Her points are extreme and incorrectly stereotype a class of people, this has been shown in many cases. The NSMBA has gone about their business in a professional manner and brought viable solutions and options to the table. Anyone with any sense of reason would see this and engage them, which is what is happening. Keep up the good work NSMBA it is not going unnoticed by ALL trail users and those in positions to make decisions (DNV and landowners).

Dec. 9, 2013, 4:27 p.m.

Well said indeed. Why would that poster want to be anonymous when they post such an articulate and accurate response?

It may have been laziness.

Dec. 12, 2013, 1:19 p.m.

That blog names names. Interesting how she found those names. Facebook I guess. She has a point about dogs or at least some dogs. Some dogs probably shouldn't go riding. Most dogs can see at night just fine though. Some dogs will go run around with their master when they shouldn't because they get too excited to go when they are actually injured. I have to be careful with my Labrador because he will go even when bleeding toes mean he has torn a nail or cut himself. He has that much drive. I had a lab before though that would refuse to go if she was hurting. Few dogs will actually do that. Most dog owners are more aware of their own dogs abilities and capabilities though. many dog owners are misinformed. I had one dag owner tell me that mountain biking with my dog was a recipe for arthritis and hip displasia. She said any vet would tell you that. Hmmm, my vet takes his dogs mountain biking all the time. So Monica, I chose to listen to my vet and not some person like yourself or others that pretend to know all.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 12, 2013, 1:33 p.m.

if everyone stopped talking about monica.. would she exist anymore?

Dec. 12, 2013, 1:37 p.m.

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it, has it still fallen?

Dec. 12, 2013, 2:14 p.m.

the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

maybe for monica it would be..

the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did exist.