Mountain Highway has turned into...a highway.

Sept. 1, 2020, 12:25 p.m.

...granted there are a lot more people out there enjoying the trails, but I have noticed that group riders, more often,  need to cede the road more often these days. Besides the larger number of mopeds heading uphill and passing on the left, there are also a lot more people riding DOWN Mountain Highway...not just gravel bikes, but legit mountain bikes as well. Curiously enough, the actual trails seem to be reasonably quiet (aside from Bobsled/Expresso).

Sept. 1, 2020, 12:36 p.m.

Second this sentiment

Sept. 1, 2020, 10:59 p.m.

I suspect more mountain bike people are using the Braemar climbing trail and heading back down to Expresso/Ladies/Oilcan/etc... but there are a few non-gravel bikes coming down from above the 6th switchback. And their gear doesn't ring "hardcore rider". I'm not bashing anyone...just curious if there is a movement afoot of new-to-trails-folk that are riding Mountain Highway just for the sake of riding Mountain Highway? I mean....every once in a while, I've been known to head up the gravel way to Grouse for a pint. It's a worthy ride.

Sept. 2, 2020, 8:46 a.m.

Posted by: mudrunner

I suspect more mountain bike people are using the Braemar climbing trail and heading back down to Expresso/Ladies/Oilcan/etc... but there are a few non-gravel bikes coming down from above the 6th switchback. And their gear doesn't ring "hardcore rider". I'm not bashing anyone...just curious if there is a movement afoot of new-to-trails-folk that are riding Mountain Highway just for the sake of riding Mountain Highway? I mean....every once in a while, I've been known to head up the gravel way to Grouse for a pint. It's a worthy ride.

... otherwise it feels like the Downhill of Shame  ;-)

Sept. 2, 2020, 8:59 a.m.

Posted by: taprider

Posted by: mudrunner

... otherwise it feels like the Downhill of Shame  ;-)

It's the downhill of shame if you're a mountain biker. If you're a new person on an ebike it's the descent.

Sept. 2, 2020, 2:07 p.m.

I've seen families, who were clearly not planning to do any MTBing, pedalling up, presumably on their way to Grouse.  Usually self-propelled, but sometimes on e-bikes.

As someone who rides Seymour 90% of the time, when I do go to Fromme it feels a bit like visiting an amusement park, at least on the climb up.  Not so bad once on the trails.

Sept. 2, 2020, 3:45 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

I've seen families, who were clearly not planning to do any MTBing, pedalling up, presumably on their way to Grouse.  Usually self-propelled, but sometimes on e-bikes.

As someone who rides Seymour 90% of the time, when I do go to Fromme it feels a bit like visiting an amusement park, at least on the climb up.  Not so bad once on the trails.

We refer to the section between the parking lot and Bobsled as "the Daycare".  Not to discourage young riders or families...it's great that they are getting out on the trails...but that's what that section resembles on busy days. Parents coaxing young 'uns up with treats, or towing them behind an e-bike. I even saw someone riding into Bobsled with a child in a cross-bar mounted seat. 

My favourite one was seeing/hearing the 5 year old kid having a crying fit because "I REALLY (sob) want to go down (sob) Floppy Bunny!!!!" Mom and dad made up an excuse that it was under construction and not ride-able.  North Shore kids are bad asses.

Sept. 2, 2020, 6:02 p.m.

In the past I'd always wave down someone rolling down Mtn Hwy n offer to help with a mechanical (need a tube?) or check for injury. But recently I've gotten so many _I'm good'_s that it's 50:50 now whether I bother to ask.

Also I feel like there's way more in 'the daycare' than on espresso somehow these days - wonder if the numbers show that? And there's hardly anyone above espresso. Are people who used to ride espresso a lot riding elsewhere now? The trailhead used to be like the 99 bus stop!

Sept. 4, 2020, 8:56 a.m.

But we gotta grow the sport with ebikes and such because growth.