Mountain Bike skill camps/clinics/sessions In the Vancouver/GVRD

June 13, 2015, 6:32 p.m.

I just signed up for the Elevation Downhill course August 1st - 2nd. If anyone else is doing the course and wants to get in touch then give me a shout.

@Thunderbear, this is strictly DH, but any extra downhill skills should help with AM. Especially for trails like Pipeline and Executioner where it's a bit of a pain to haul the DH rig up to.

June 13, 2015, 7:16 p.m.

Should be noted that Shaums March is doing some coaching just across the border.

possibly one of the best coaches around.

Sylvie Allen as noted previously is a really good choice too.

DH skills will play extremely well with AM riding. Cornering, line choice, braking, carrying speed, etc are all the same regardless of the bike.

June 15, 2015, 1:30 p.m.

Is the Whistler elevation camp strictly DH or would it be of value for me as an AM rider?

The website says they have an "enduro" version of the elevation camp this year. Not sure if that means pedaling inside the bike park, using trail bikes in the park or venturing into the valley but give em a call and ask.

I found a lot of transfer from the DH elevation camp to trail riding. You get so much vert and time to practice skills that it would take many days of trail riding to equal the volume. Can't wait for the camp this coming weekend.

June 15, 2015, 3:30 p.m.

The website says they have an "enduro" version of the elevation camp this year. Not sure if that means pedaling inside the bike park, using trail bikes in the park or venturing into the valley but give em a call and ask.

Where did you find that info online? Couldn't find it, so I called… the operator couldn't find it online either but she gave me some info over phone [HTML_REMOVED] email:

Dates: June 20-21, July 18-19, August 1-2

Price: Same as the downhill camp

· Enduro camps are designed to take your overall riding skills to the next level whether it is in the park or riding in the valley! We will base the weekend around riding about half in the Whistler Mountain Bike Park and half in the famous Whistler valley trail network.

· In the valley our coaches will guide you up to some of the iconic Whistler trails used in races such as the Enduro World series or Sea to Sky Enduro series (involves pedaling)

· Once in the Park we will use the lifts to help put in some vertical on the world’s best mountain bike park – a combination of tech and freeride trails to work on your overall skills.

June 16, 2015, 2:22 p.m.

Where did you find that info online? Couldn't find it, so I called… the operator couldn't find it online either but she gave me some info over phone [HTML_REMOVED] email:

Dates: June 20-21, July 18-19, August 1-2

Price: Same as the downhill camp

· Enduro camps are designed to take your overall riding skills to the next level whether it is in the park or riding in the valley! We will base the weekend around riding about half in the Whistler Mountain Bike Park and half in the famous Whistler valley trail network.

· In the valley our coaches will guide you up to some of the iconic Whistler trails used in races such as the Enduro World series or Sea to Sky Enduro series (involves pedaling)

· Once in the Park we will use the lifts to help put in some vertical on the world’s best mountain bike park – a combination of tech and freeride trails to work on your overall skills.

Good to know - I didn't any of info online, only knew about the enduro option because when I called to register for the DH version they asked me which one I wanted. They should probably post that up. Personally I think everyone should do the DH version, more vert = more time learning. I guess it's part of the strategy of having WBP marketing include trail bikes/enduro since that's the broader market trend happening in MTB now.

June 16, 2015, 2:51 p.m.

Good to know - I didn't any of info online, only knew about the enduro option because when I called to register for the DH version they asked me which one I wanted. They should probably post that up. Personally I think everyone should do the DH version, more vert = more time learning. I guess it's part of the strategy of having WBP marketing include trail bikes/enduro since that's the broader market trend happening in MTB now.

and they can charge people to pedal their bikes in the valley instead of using WB infrastructure…..

June 16, 2015, 3:09 p.m.

Personally I think everyone should do the DH version, more vert = more time learning

Hm.. you have a point. But I can also see advantages of dividing people by type of bike and riding style.

I can see myself having a hard time keeping up with an advanced DH group on my AM bike and with zero DH experience, or on a rental DH rig that I've never ridden… so I would have to start at a lower level. But in an advanced group with Enduro/AM focus I would feel much more at home.

June 16, 2015, 3:13 p.m.

and they can charge people to pedal their bikes in the valley instead of using WB infrastructure…..

Or maybe they just wanna coach enduro on actual enduro race trails? Seems pretty reasonable to me!

June 17, 2015, 11:51 a.m.

Hm.. you have a point. But I can also see advantages of dividing people by type of bike and riding style.

I can see myself having a hard time keeping up with an advanced DH group on my AM bike and with zero DH experience, or on a rental DH rig that I've never ridden… so I would have to start at a lower level. But in an advanced group with Enduro/AM focus I would feel much more at home.

I guess it depends what level of rider you are, but as an intermediate there isn't really a difference between DH and enduro/AM/trail/whatever. The character and conditions of the trails differ outside the park, as does speed, but the camp isn't teaching you to race on gnarly DH tracks, it's teaching the fundamental skills of riding a bike down trails of various types (jumps/flow and technical) including body position, cornering, line choice, jumping, rock rolls etc. You will use those skills the same way in a bike park or on a trail ride.

For what it's worth I did the DH camp last year (in the intermediate group) on my trail bike and it was totally fine. Anyway, just pumping the program since it's helped me a ton in my riding. Looking forward to this weekend.

June 18, 2015, 8:40 a.m.

For what it's worth I did the DH camp last year (in the intermediate group) on my trail bike and it was totally fine. Anyway, just pumping the program since it's helped me a ton in my riding. Looking forward to this weekend.

Thanks, that's great input! Would love to hear your feedback after this weekend. Enjoy the camp!

June 18, 2015, 8:55 p.m.

Where abouts would I find a foam pit and a mulch jump to remember how to do flips, 360s n stuff. I've just got back into riding after not riding for years and years and yearsssss, have to relearn it all over again pretty much lol. I'm older now and the body is beat so I need all the help I can get bahahah. Thanks, cheers

superheros
I like bikes

June 18, 2015, 10:59 p.m.

Where abouts would I find a foam pit and a mulch jump to remember how to do flips, 360s n stuff. I've just got back into riding after not riding for years and years and yearsssss, have to relearn it all over again pretty much lol. I'm older now and the body is beat so I need all the help I can get bahahah. Thanks, cheers

Lot 8 in whistler.

June 19, 2015, 9:02 a.m.

Lot 8 in whistler.

Yeah there's sometimes a mulch jump outside there, or air dome has foam pit and resi ramps

June 22, 2015, 12:32 p.m.

Thanks, that's great input! Would love to hear your feedback after this weekend. Enjoy the camp!

The camp was awesome, I had the same coach as last year and he's a solid instructor. Worked on everything including cornering, jumping, drops, rock rolls, line choice etc. One thing that really helped me was following him and seeing his lines through familiar trails, he would ride at a pace that was fast but achievable for us (i.e. I could stay on his tail and see the lines and not be riding right at my limit, so I could actually take it in… when I tail my first friends I struggle just to keep up).

There were about 15 riders split into three groups. The lower one spent a lot of time on skills from what I understand. I ended up the middle group we worked from skills/blues on day one to black and a bit of double black day two (A-Line, No Joke, Duff Man/No Duff). The advanced group this time had some racers in it and they got into hard stuff right away, like Goat's Gully hard. I initially wanted to be in that group but it was beyond my level, so it worked out well.

Definitely recommend it. Won some nice Dakine shorts at the apres too.

June 25, 2015, 4:04 p.m.

The camp was awesome, I had the same coach as last year and he's a solid instructor. Worked on everything including cornering, jumping, drops, rock rolls, line choice etc. One thing that really helped me was following him and seeing his lines through familiar trails, he would ride at a pace that was fast but achievable for us (i.e. I could stay on his tail and see the lines and not be riding right at my limit, so I could actually take it in… when I tail my first friends I struggle just to keep up).

There were about 15 riders split into three groups. The lower one spent a lot of time on skills from what I understand. I ended up the middle group we worked from skills/blues on day one to black and a bit of double black day two (A-Line, No Joke, Duff Man/No Duff). The advanced group this time had some racers in it and they got into hard stuff right away, like Goat's Gully hard. I initially wanted to be in that group but it was beyond my level, so it worked out well.

Definitely recommend it. Won some nice Dakine shorts at the apres too.

Thanks for the update, sounds great! Will try to do the July camp and I think you're right about the downhill version being better value for money… more riding [HTML_REMOVED] coaching time.