Mount Fromme Residents Assoc. AGM Tonight

Nov. 27, 2008, 11:04 a.m.

If you live in the area I'd suggest you get to this meeting so it has some balance. Riders live in the area as well and we don't want this meeting over run by those who oppose access to the trails on Fromme.

If you have friends who live in the area give them a ring and let them know about this meeting.

Notice Below.

This is a reminder that the Mount Fromme Residents Association (MFRA) will be holding our Annual General Meeting this Thursday, November 27th at 7:30pm in the Auditorium at Upper Lynn Elementary School. We ask that all members please attend.

CALL FOR BOARD MEMBERS

I would like to take this opportunity to invite our members to become more involved in the residents association by becoming board members. The board of the MFRA is a small, friendly group of people dedicated to the improvement of our community. We meet on the first Thursday of each month.

AGM REMINDER

Erica Geddes from the District of North Vancouver Traffic department and Susan Rogers from the District Parks department will be presenting the District plans for a long-term solution to the traffic and parking issues that have effected residents as a result of the recreational use of the trails on Mount Fromme. The District plans involve, in part, parking lots at the top of Mountain Highway and at in the area of Braemar [HTML_REMOVED] Dempsey.

Additional AGM business will be covered following the presentation, including a vote on whether to formally support the District plans outlined in the presentation, the election of a new Board of Directors, and a vote on whether to expand the MFRA mandate. A full listing of the meeting agenda has been included below.

MFRA membership renewals will be available at the door, the price remains $5 per household per year.

Thank-you for your continued involvement in your local residents' association. We look forward to seeing you on November 27th.

On behalf of the Board,

Ben Holt
MFRA Chair.

The agenda for the AGM is as follows:

Call the MFRA Annual General Meeting to Order
Introduce the current MFRA Board

Presentation by Erica Geddes of DNV Transportation (confirmed) and Susan Rogers of DNV Parks (unconfirmed) on the District plan for improving access to Mount Fromme and reducing the adverse effects parking and traffic have had on the surrounding community. These plans include a parking lot at the top of Mountain Hwy, another on the north side of Braemar at Princess, and, after community consultation, a scaling back of the Resident Parking Only (RPO) area in Upper Lynn Valley.

Vote to formally support the District plans for parking and traffic associated with Mount Fromme access.

Vote to set the membership dues for 2009. Membership dues are currently $5 per household per year.

Vote on whether to consider expanding the mandate of the MFRA. The current MFRA mandate is restricted to issues associated with the traffic, parking, and neighbourhood impact related to the recreational use of Mount Fromme and ensuring that the recreational use of Mount Fromme is managed in an environmentally sound manner.

Elect a new Board of Directors.

Adjourn the meeting.

Nov. 27, 2008, 11:12 a.m.

Can residents who live just outside the catchment but use the mountain more than most ppl inside the catchment come along too?

Nov. 27, 2008, 11:46 a.m.

I would assume you can attend but would not be able to participate/vote.

Nov. 27, 2008, 11:56 a.m.

scaling back RPO, interesting. We'll see how that goes over.

Make everything RPO everywhere in the lower mainland. You'd have no place to park and everyone would have to take transit or ride bikes. Sweet

thanks for the info Cam

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 27, 2008, 11:01 p.m.

I attended this meeting and thought I'd post a very brief overview of biking related discussion items. I'm new to this association but it's my understanding that it was set up to specifically address the parking and traffic concerns of area residents. The RPO pretty much completely resolved these issues and, for now it appears as though the RPO area will not change. There has been discussion of putting two 25 stall parking areas on Fromme, one on the north side of Dempsey/Braemar and one at the top of Mountain Highway (where the current staging area is). However, it was mentioned that budget constraints have put this project on hold for at least another year. The RPO may change once the parking areas are built.

Susan Rogers from DNV Parks gave an overview of the Fromme Trail Classification Plan. As per the plan, DNV parks has a 5 year plan to decommission some trails and amalgamate others into single trails. Susan mentioned that the immediate priorities for Parks are to fix bridges, develop trail signage and continue to upgrade the Fromme service road (with assistance from Grouse Mtn.) Erica Geddes from DNV Transportation was not able to attend.

There was a very poor turnout (only 9 or 10 people) to this meeting which may be a direct effect of area residents being happy with the way things are.

Nov. 27, 2008, 11:08 p.m.

Thanks for going to the meeting and providing an update!

They're working like mad on the Mountain Hwy Rd. Its looking good.

We're going to have a meeting with the DNV to talk about the trails, specifically how they are going to classify them.

As part of the ARRG we strongly suggested that no closure or amalgamations occur unless they can replace the experience.

With their current resources it would be tough to make any drastic changes to the trail system.

Signage would be helpful and we will be providing input to ensure its accurate.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 28, 2008, 11:38 a.m.

They're working like mad on the Mountain Hwy Rd. Its looking good.

sure it looks good, but have you pedalled on it? Its like riding through oatmeal. It'll all pack down in due time though

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 28, 2008, 11:58 a.m.

sure it looks good, but have you pedalled on it? Its like riding through oatmeal. It'll all pack down in due time though

Yah, it's like spring time on the road right now. I guess there's so much new material laid in, and wet conditions don't help in the short term.

Additionally, I gotta say, I am not too impressed with the forestry practices used at the 3rd switchback. They have basically skidded logs right thru the ditch on the west side of the raod, leaving limbs and small sections of broken trunks in the ditch. Not gonna help things come the spring thaw…

To F-Train: Thanks for the synopsis of the meeting. I thought about coming but given that non-residents can't vote etc. I saw little point.

Nov. 28, 2008, 1:15 p.m.

Nice work Fred! Thanks for representing.

Nov. 28, 2008, 1:22 p.m.

No problem…happy to be the Fromme correspondent any time!

Nov. 28, 2008, 1:24 p.m.

BTW Cam: Thanks for posting the AGM notice. Being new to the neighbourhood I wasn't aware that the association existed.

Nov. 28, 2008, 3:16 p.m.

They had a roller on it to the third it seemed. Didn't get mushy until past Ladies.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 28, 2008, 8:57 p.m.

Thanks F-Train. Welcome to Upper Lynn Valley, thanks for joining the MFRA and particularly for attending. I'm sorry I was not there, got stuck in Klemtu due to poor weather.

The poor attendance is disappointing especially as District Staff took the time and trouble to come out and make a presentation. To be honest it's damn right embarrassing.

I agree the lack of interest likely reflects a significantly reduced level of biker/resident conflicts. I know a number of residents don't want to see parking lots, particularly at the top of Mountain, because of the tax payer cost ( :rolleyes: ) and concerns over higher traffic volumes on a narrow road that does not have any sidewalks. However, my feeling is that if you don't show and don't vote, then don't expect to have a say in the final solution.

Thanks for the original post Cam.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.