More sad news ...

Feb. 1, 2016, 4:33 p.m.

there's been instances in the past of other athletes in that age range having heart troubles, Dave Cullinan had a heart attack and valve replacements done a couple years after winning the world champs more than a few years ago now…lots of young people don't think they could have heart problems so in a lot of cases they don't even know they might have issues.

Cully didn't have a heart attack, he suffered an aortic dissection, speculated to have been caused by a massive crash when his wheel fell off mid-jump. Certainly lucky to have lived.

Ride, don't slide.

Feb. 1, 2016, 4:48 p.m.

All that I have read so far is 'cardiac arrest'. I believe this can be caused by trauma due to blood loss or lack of oxygen (collapsed lung). Seeing as he was in the backcountry and far from immediate help I could see this being a very strong possibility. At any rate I feel gross even talking about this. My thoughts to his family.

Feb. 1, 2016, 6:20 p.m.

I clearly don't have any answers, as I don't know how he died, but heart conditions in younger athletes is fairly common apparently.

Very tragic news.

Feb. 2, 2016, 10:46 a.m.

Word on the internet street says he was biking uphill when it happened. Sure makes you think when you remember all the feats he's accomplished and close calls he had.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Feb. 2, 2016, 10:54 a.m.

Word on the internet street says he was biking uphill when it happened. Sure makes you think when you remember all the feats he's accomplished and close calls he had.

it's true, the other part is that he had a 4th gear moto wreck the day before, so entirely possible there was some kind of unnoticed internal injuries from that crash….guess we'll have to wait and see what they determine. doesn't really change anything though. still super shitty that we lost a great friend.

Feb. 3, 2016, 12:14 a.m.

I never had the opportunity to meet him in person (I wish I had), but he really seemed to be a genuinely happy and down-to-earth person and rider.

May your family and your loved ones find peace and have the strength to carry on.
Rest in Peace, McGazza.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 3, 2016, 2:50 a.m.

He sure is well spoken of by the people who surrounded him. In every photo I see, he sure seems to radiate happiness….bike mag had a great article remembering him today.

http://features.bikemag.com/Kelly/

Where I work we just had a guy pass away from a heart attack age the age of 33. As we all know too well on this forum, one always needs to live life to the fullest as we never know what is around the corner. Far too often we are reminded that there is no guarantees in life.

RIP Kelly

Feb. 3, 2016, 6:57 a.m.

group memorial ride at 2pm bottom of Legacy climb in Squamish on Saturday for anyone interested in a social remembrance

Feb. 3, 2016, 12:42 p.m.

The Bike Mag tribute is great. As is this Dirt mag profile on the guy. Never met him but always enjoyed watching him on video, came across very genuine and you know he is missed by many based on the outpouring of reactions and support the last few days. Sounds like he spent a lot of time in Whistler over years, sorry for the loss to those that knew him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6V_HwTbK_I

Feb. 4, 2016, 5:17 p.m.

And now Dave Mirra. Tough week for the cycling world.

Feb. 4, 2016, 5:30 p.m.

And now Dave Mirra. Tough week for the cycling world.

That sucks. I grew up watching him and wanting to move on a bike like him

Feb. 4, 2016, 5:37 p.m.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2016/02/04/dave-mirra-dead-bmx-suicide-dead-41-years-old

Feb. 4, 2016, 6:46 p.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/dave-mirra-dead-BMX-at-41-2016.html

This is a sad week for two-wheeled heroes……

Shed head!

Feb. 4, 2016, 6:50 p.m.

His BMX stuff was amazing. There was a excellent piece (I can't find right now) about his win in the Race Across America. He was reported to be doing Iron Man's lately. Dude was awesome on all sorts of bikes.

Feb. 4, 2016, 7:47 p.m.

Mirra was THE MAN in the x-games back in the day when I used to watch. His name was always at or near the top. Perhaps he was wrestling with inner demons. RIP.

Thread killer