Monica Craver needs to get a life

Oct. 22, 2012, 10:33 p.m.

Does no one understand that bike parks are meant to get kids riding, not for us?

Great point. Rode past the new skills park downtown PG on Sunday. It was packed. Little kids and parents everywhere. Judging by how popular this one is, I wouldn't be surprised if we see at least one more get built next year in another area of town.

Oct. 23, 2012, 3:03 a.m.

Are you referring to a high school teacher from 1980's era North Vancouver that I never had? Because that's pretty obscure, even for me.

In the very irrelevant to this thread department:

Hmm, I in fact did have classes from a Mr. Bell in the 1980's in North Van…
It was in gradeschool at Waldorf though. Different Bell I suppose.

Anyhow, carry on…

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Oct. 23, 2012, 9:37 a.m.

So after the vote to give us our license to occupy, the council brought us back into council
last night. The emails that were flying back and forth between councilors and bike club
staff/members gave us the sense that we might lose this park. We showed up in numbers, with
people showing up from all over the south island. Thanks to BigredPig (Russ) for making
"we want a bike park" signs on neon green paper for us all as we had a bunch of teenagers
in the corner the whole meeting (which lasted a while) holding their signs the whole time.

The meeting was about a lot of other things and our bike park was only one of many on the
agenda that night. They made the mistake of having the comments portion first. One of the
emails a councilor sent to us asked "who are you people", we stood up and said I am who
we are and pointing at the kids in the corner saying "that's who we are". Anyway, it was
very apparent who we were, and we explained who Alpine bike parks are.

After about 20 people from 18 y/o's to 70 y/o's in support and the kids in the corner
looking sad with their signs the mayor brought our agenda first (it was scheduled about
15th) and after some discussion, the end result is that the city of Sooke is paying for
the initial planning process from Alpine bike parks (only $3,600+ hst) and even said
if the plan from Alpine looks good they'd like to look into even more support for building.

So all-in-all a good evening, not to say they can't pull the rug out later, but this looks
very good for our park.

@Bryan, while that DJ park looks like a nice DJ park, we're looking at a different kind
of park that blends in with the natural landscape instead of just a pile of dirt. Our
plans call for two pump tracks (a small one for the keikis and a larger one for the bigger
kids) as well as a skills area, and a dual slalom course, with some DJ's thrown in. All
this will be surrounded by a multi-use running/dog walk/bike path. We feel having an area
that is very visible, and highly used by all manners of users will keep any "bad" people
from taking over that space (which there already is now).

This park should get lots of usage, it's right near the town core, and downhill from
Broomhill trails and in a high density (for Sooke) housing area.

We're looking at something like this:
https://vimeo.com/30864092

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Oct. 23, 2012, 9:43 a.m.

"Hi Monica, STFU." -Sooke City Council

2010 Transition TR450 - 34.56lbs - the lightest TR450 ever?

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop