Moab BLM Bans E-Bikes

Dec. 17, 2014, 2:02 p.m.

Hmmm, that's got me thinking. Lets turn Espresso into the Fromme climbing trail…most of the grade should be achievable by mere mortal climbers. Just need to hook into the Dempsey climbing trail and Penzoil and the job's done!!!

(Yes, I'm serious…)

As good of a climbing option (selfishly) that Espresso could be, it is way more valuable to the community as a true-Blue level descent that doesn't otherwise exist on Fromme.

It is unbelievable how many people ride this trail (and how many people ride this trail exclusively of the higher Fromme options) and shows the demand is there for less aggressive options. It really should be marked descent only (as it is really only safe to climb at night when you have advanced warning of other riders coming and limited usage).

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Dec. 18, 2014, 3:03 p.m.

plus there's the climbing trail that's in the works

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 18, 2014, 3:18 p.m.

plus there's the climbing trail that's in the works

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Dec. 18, 2014, 4:46 p.m.

^haha

Dec. 20, 2014, 3:59 p.m.

To give this debate some more fuel, my knee surgeon just told me I'll likely never get past 90 degrees on my knee again. An e-bike may be the only way I'll ride the shore again.

Dec. 30, 2014, 12:22 p.m.

anti-bike folks in Wyoming have apparently used e-bikes as rationale for getting mtb's banned from some National Forest trails in that state….

https://www.facebook.com/WildernessB?fref=nf

This Shoshone NF unpleasantness (see the thread below) shows that bicycle opponents have grabbed hold of e-bikes to argue land managers can barely tell a motorized mtb from a nonmotorized one, so if you open a trail to mtb'ing you're making it motorized.
Here are two spoken comments, made by bicycle opponents, at a Forest Service conclave in Cody, Wyo., on October 8, 2014:
“We know that the bicycles of today are not the bicycles of 15 years ago, and I don't have the slightest idea what the bicycles of 15 years from now will be. But I do know that people are now putting little tiny electric motors on bicycles. You can't really see them unless you're right with them. You can't really hear them unless you're right there. And that's like a whole 'nother piece of this Pandora's Box that is just waiting to spring open. So I think strongly that the only realistic solution to this problem in this particular area is a wilderness recommendation.”
“Also, now we have electric-powered mountain bikes. So what we have now going through the Dunoir is actually motorized vehicles. Mountain bikes are now motorized.”
This problem has got to be IMBA's biggest worry these days. It probably should be every mountain biker's.
Here's the transcript of the meeting at which people made these comments:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Int…/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3823039.pdf

Dec. 30, 2014, 3:27 p.m.

To give this debate some more fuel, my knee surgeon just told me I'll likely never get past 90 degrees on my knee again. An e-bike may be the only way I'll ride the shore again.

dont let the man hold you back. id let the physio/rehab world dictate what you can do in the future.

in the meantime ride moto

Dec. 30, 2014, 3:32 p.m.

… An e-bike may be the only way I'll ride the shore again.

or you may have to face the fact you can't do some of the stuff you used to do?

Dec. 30, 2014, 4:59 p.m.

An e-bike may be the only way I'll ride the shore again.

Or realize that you can't ride your e-bike where its specifically prohibited but that there are a huge number of other trails in this vast Province where motorised vehicles are allowed…