Moab BLM Bans E-Bikes

Dec. 1, 2014, 6:11 p.m.

Would be great to hear from others in other areas.

On Red mountain in Mission…definitely against.

Dec. 1, 2014, 9:15 p.m.

e fat is win. combined two things that piss people off and I want. add some regenerative braking and you have a fun looking grocery getter / back road cruiser with a minimal co2 foot print.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Dec. 1, 2014, 9:24 p.m.

for or against has no real bearing on this subject. unless you ride some place that is specifically non motorized your only response is happy motoring. it is all crown land after all and that is part of the freedom we all enjoy.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Dec. 2, 2014, 7:48 a.m.

there is a dude on my commute on a fat tired felt ebike cruiser. it looks like a fun round town bike

Dec. 2, 2014, 7:40 p.m.

huh; had no idea this existed (not that i really pay much attention to such things) - $3700:

And I had not idea the Stealth Bomber existed!!! $9,900 before options.

Dec. 3, 2014, 5:57 p.m.

Not to take away from the Ebike drama….

To reiterate, they just classified ebikes as motorized so they would fall under this rule:
MOAB BLM has determined this year that motor assist bicycles (electric or fueled) are motorized vehicles, therefore, motor assisted bicycles are NOT allowed on non-motorized trails. The Moab Travel Council posted a terrific Motorcycle Trail Ride page in September 2014. Go look at it now. http://www.discovermoab.com/motorcycle_moab.htm

Also in this article they provide info on a ton of new trails in Moab!

HyMasa Trail is 2.7 miles of singletrack in the Amasa Back riding area.

Miner’s Loop completed near the southern parking lot. It is an advanced 1.8 mile loop

KLONZO II trail system has carnival themed trail names. These 11.3 miles of trail have been added

Navajo Rocks has leapt into existence with the completion of 4.4 convoluted miles called Rocky Tops and 3.2 miles of undulating dirt track and sandstone outcrops

Another 8.1 miles were completed at Thanksgiving 2013

Finally, a Moab Trails app was released in early spring.

Tons of good stuff happening in Moab.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Dec. 3, 2014, 7:19 p.m.

e fat is win. combined two things that piss people off and I want. add some regenerative braking and you have a fun looking grocery getter / back road cruiser with a minimal co2 foot print.

I'd want a full-squish version too

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 4, 2014, 6:53 p.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2848622]Consumer choice is great and all, and I agree with that.

However, the rest of us will still have to live with the consequences of this ongoing stream of crap we do not need. Let there be no doubt the e-bike movement is driven solely by greed, with no consideration whatsoever for the planet, people, or trails.

I see all sort of e-mountain bikes on Craigslist right now, including many with crappy disposable components, soon to be bound for a landfill with their cheap leaky batteries. Thank you all ebike-makers for forcing another piece of garbage down society's throats. Again, individuals can say no, but the marketers, manufacturers, and retailers prey on the stupid and the weak, and the rest of us get to clean up the mess.

Take your ebikes and shove them where they don't fit comfortably, along with your individual packet of Uncle Ben's rice, your Keurig coffee-makers, your fully electronic dashboard control system, your immediately obsolete software and movie formats, and all the other ignorant wasteful sh*T that serves some pretend purpose to enhance our lives, but really functions to make a few people richer at the expense of others.

The human power of bikes in some small way, despite the consumerism that surrounds them, provide a way to kick back against the mindless onslaught of crap that "does things for you". But even that is now being dumbed down to the basest level so fat idiot consumers can have more more more. More trails, more speed, more for me me me! Don't plan your meals and learn how to cook, buy instant individual portions! Don't make proper coffee, press a button and throw the wrapper in the landfill! Why ride a bicycle, when you can ebike and fly by all the peons! MOre more more for me me me!

Awesome Post!

Dec. 4, 2014, 6:59 p.m.

So the important question I have ,
Who has the right of way the e bike climbing expresso , or the e bike descending?

It Bloody well better be the decender..

Dec. 4, 2014, 8 p.m.

It Bloody well better be the decender.

why?

on two way trails it's typically been the rider who has to give up the least amount of energy who should give way so generally the descender should give way to the ascender. this isn't always true though and there are times when the uphill rider should yield. i think it really depends on where the pass takes place.

for example if it's a relatively flat and/or climb and the downhill rider is pinning it then yes, the uphill rider should yield. but if it was a steeper technical section where it would be difficult for the uphill rider to get going after stopping then the downhill rider should yield.

i think whomever has to give up the least amount of "trail flow" is the one who should yield.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 4, 2014, 8:44 p.m.

Just how steep a trail could become climbable on an e-bike? Espresso, Leppard, KK I could see. What about something steeper?

E-bikes or not I hate the idea of these trails becoming bidirectional.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Dec. 4, 2014, 9:22 p.m.

Just how steep a trail could become climbable on an e-bike? Espresso, Leppard, KK I could see. What about something steeper?

technically most trails are bidirectional, but for sure i agree that for many trails it doesn't really make sense to climb them.

the sad thing is that trails that would make a great technical climb also tend to be great descents as well.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 16, 2014, 10:03 p.m.

http://m.autoevolution.com/bultaco-brinco-is-a-really-interesting-e-bike-but-not-exactly-cheap-90108.html

Dec. 17, 2014, 8:47 a.m.

People are already climbing Expresso without Ebikes. Perhaps this won't go over well, but I really think Expresso should join Bobsled in being signed as descent only, especially during the summer.

Dec. 17, 2014, 1:20 p.m.

People are already climbing Expresso without Ebikes. Perhaps this won't go over well, but I really think Expresso should join Bobsled in being signed as descent only, especially during the summer.

Hmmm, that's got me thinking. Lets turn Espresso into the Fromme climbing trail…most of the grade should be achievable by mere mortal climbers. Just need to hook into the Dempsey climbing trail and Penzoil and the job's done!!!

(Yes, I'm serious…)