Moab BLM Bans E-Bikes

Dec. 1, 2014, 6:37 a.m.

just classify them the same as other motorized bikes and be done with it..

Dec. 1, 2014, 7:33 a.m.

The only remotely enforceable // teachable (signage + education) option.

there is no other option. the bikes have a lot more power than they once did….as far as compassionate grounds…the type of terrain where a 3 wheeled bike could travel is not the type of terrain I'm worried about. that is likely the same terrain that quads and mottos can ride on in my community as is. if there was three wheeled e bikes coming down mach chicken or p patch w disabled athletes on them..im thinking im pulling over and banging on cowbells…

Dec. 1, 2014, 7:38 a.m.

good thing i got some of that quote..

Dec. 1, 2014, 9:03 a.m.

good thing i got some of that quote..

Sorry -- assumed no one had read it (time) and decided to drop out of the conversation. If its of any value, maybe a nice administrator can resurrect it…

I like this quote from Vince Beasse (NSMBA President) from the AGM (*edit: quote was a general statement not related to E-Bikes).

"Everyone is selfish, sometimes you just need to be less selfish."

If you're posting in this thread, for any view other than no E-Bikes, and you haven't considered the hours upon hours that a few folks currently put into maintaining the trail system we enjoy…

If you're posting in this thread, for any view other than no E-Bikes, and you haven't considered how hard Matt Bond and others worked to reduce user conflicts and to bring other user groups in to the NSMBA tent…

Maybe just take a moment to reflect. If you still feel how you do… I'll cross my fingers you're on your own.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Dec. 1, 2014, 10:27 a.m.

Sorry -- assumed no one had read it (time) and decided to drop out of the conversation. If its of any value, maybe a nice administrator can resurrect it…

I like this quote from Vince Beasse (NSMBA President) from the AGM (*edit: quote was a general statement not related to E-Bikes).

"Everyone is selfish, sometimes you just need to be less selfish."

If you're posting in this thread, for any view other than no E-Bikes, and you haven't considered the hours upon hours that a few folks currently put into maintaining the trail system we enjoy…

If you're posting in this thread, for any view other than no E-Bikes, and you haven't considered how hard Matt Bond and others worked to reduce user conflicts and to bring other user groups in to the NSMBA tent…

Maybe just take a moment to reflect. If you still feel how you do… I'll cross my fingers you're on your own.

I've sort of followed this thread, and this post sums it up really well, and not in the way you think it does.
Anyone who has an opinion other than E-Bikes are bad, gets piled on with hostile replies, this makes this a very hostile thread to reply with any comment that differs from the bias towards e-bikes being bad.

The reality is, they aren't massively available, they aren't what mountain biking is about for nearly everyone, they will be really expensive, there are many different kinds of bikes (ped-elec, full motor, electric motocross bikes), in other words, there's a lot of speculation, a crap load of variables, and it's just too soon to tell what will happen.

Dec. 1, 2014, 10:30 a.m.

I think you're being a bit dramatic Mark. No one is trying to paint you as a "villain", just a selfish contrarion.

If there is a "villain" in this story it's an industry that slides a few dollars to advocacy and trail maintenance, stamps their branding on these efforts, and then - en mass - races to release e-motorized-off-road-bikes so they can make a few bucks (on the backs of the volunteer trail associations they purport to support ).

If that all seems too "which side are you on", or "you're with us or against us" well… tough cookie. Instead of highlighting all the little grey nuances of where these motorized bikes might be okay, why don't we lay it down in black-and-white first, have the land owners clarify their position, get the signage and education out there, and then we can look at specific situations or trails where maybe they aren't such a big deal?

there's really no question on the land managers position as it is already clearly established. if you go back a few pages you might notice that i, me, syncro, the guy you have a hard on for, am the only person in this debate who has taken the time to investigate what the rules are.

1. the bcmva clearly labels ebikes as motorized.
2. the dnv clearly states motorized vehicles are not allowed on parks or trails
3. metro clearly defines motorized vehicles by referring to the bcmva and states that motorized vehicles are only allowed on roadways and parking lots and as such not on the trails or parkland.

as an individual i'm allowwed to have an opinion on a subject. but guess what, i'm not the one that manages the land. you might be better off using your energy to contact the land managers directly to see if they plan to put up signage, etc. i would suggest though that you speak with them in a less confrontational manner if you want to be taken seriously.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 1, 2014, 10:33 a.m.

Would be great to hear from others in other areas.

i'd like to hear from others too but they may not be willing to say anything for the reasons biggles just mentioned.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 1, 2014, 11:24 a.m.

I've sort of followed this thread, and this post sums it up really well, and not in the way you think it does.
Anyone who has an opinion other than E-Bikes are bad, gets piled on with hostile replies, this makes this a very hostile thread to reply with any comment that differs from the bias towards e-bikes being bad.

The reality is, they aren't massively available, they aren't what mountain biking is about for nearly everyone, they will be really expensive, there are many different kinds of bikes (ped-elec, full motor, electric motocross bikes), in other words, there's a lot of speculation, a crap load of variables, and it's just too soon to tell what will happen.

Yup. Coming from a builder no less.

Dec. 1, 2014, 11:34 a.m.

It's just a matter of time before they become cheaper, lighter and more powerful. I also know of 2 local mountain bike manufacturers that are prototypes/testing them. Once 650b sales are flat, industry has to come up with something new and will be pushing these things.

:canada:

Dec. 1, 2014, 11:37 a.m.

norco has a fat e-bike listed at 3g's, doesn't seem 'that' expensive…..

Dec. 1, 2014, 11:52 a.m.

It's just a matter of time before they become cheaper, lighter and more powerful. I also know of 2 local mountain bike manufacturers that are prototypes/testing them. Once 650b sales are flat, industry has to come up with something new and will be pushing these things.

Sure. And I never said my opinion either way. Maybe I love them, maybe I hate them. Maybe it's not as simple as black and white. I just find that the tone of this thread is leaning towards the hostile side of things.

Dec. 1, 2014, 11:57 a.m.

huh; had no idea this existed (not that i really pay much attention to such things) - $3700:

Dec. 1, 2014, 1:25 p.m.

we sure do sound like crusty hikers in this thread and I'm totally OK with that. There is nothing wrong with questioning how a new activity/user group will impact trails. It only becomes myopic when rational arguments have been fully addressed and people say 'well I still don't like them' or start to dig up crazy shit like 'think of the frogs' or 'night riding disturbs wildlife' or 'its child abuse to let kids do this'.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 1, 2014, 4:38 p.m.

we sure do sound like crusty hikers in this thread and I'm totally OK with that. There is nothing wrong with questioning how a new activity/user group will impact trails. It only becomes myopic when rational arguments have been fully addressed and people say 'well I still don't like them' or start to dig up crazy shit like 'think of the frogs' or 'night riding disturbs wildlife' or 'its child abuse to let kids do this'.

Having had a near miss by an e quad and and e bike on seymour I completely agree Great points !

Dec. 1, 2014, 4:58 p.m.

huh; had no idea this existed (not that i really pay much attention to such things) - $3700:

Add full suspension and you have an elctric dirt bike.. It does look like fun.

However I have only shuttled once ever. I use the ride ups to increase my fitness(taking too long btw) and the downs are my rewards. As well as feeling more fit. When i first started riding I could barely ride up seymour demo forest from cap college with out wheezing like a seal. Now thats my warm up . I feel I've earned the right to go down trails after Ive climbed them.)Im sure a common sentiment)
E bike for me would ruin the whole purpose of why I ride.