Moab BLM Bans E-Bikes

Nov. 28, 2014, 4:35 p.m.

What about that electric trials bike that was posted in the Trials thread?

i think the size of those things is pushing past the reasonable limit which i would guess also puts them out of the reach of the type of user i would be ok with allowing on the trails.

the biggest battle is not whether these things are going to be allowed, which they currently are not, but how to enforce those restrictions.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 28, 2014, 5:22 p.m.

yet that trials bike would do the least amount of damage of the 2 wheel user groups.

4.0 plus tire running 2 to 3 PSI vs 2.0 plus tire running 30 psi.

if they are not allowed the user groups on the mtn will police it. While the odd one will go out there because they don't care, most will go where they are welcome.

Nov. 28, 2014, 5:31 p.m.

I'll gladly trade away Strava for e-bikes around here.

I first rode Squamish in 2007 and there was a really chilled vibe. These days there a million lycra clad red faced 29er riders with steam coming out of their ears who won't slow down for man or beast. if it gets any worse, I'll get a fecking E-bike just to wreck everyones KOMs.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 28, 2014, 5:40 p.m.

yet that trials bike would do the least amount of damage of the 2 wheel user groups.

4.0 plus tire running 2 to 3 PSI vs 2.0 plus tire running 30 psi.

if they are not allowed the user groups on the mtn will police it. While the odd one will go out there because they don't care, most will go where they are welcome.

yeah, i get that the etrials would probably do less trail damage than an ebike, but there's no guarantee. like i said though, i don't see the user group that i would be okay with using ebikes using etrials machines instead.

if ebike buyers are smart enough to go where they're welcome then they're probably just going to buy a trials bike or moto to begin with. i think people buying the emtbs will be buying them to use on the mtb network. sure people will call them out on it and hopefully it doesn't extend beyond just words, but the ebikers may ignore them and use them anyways. i guess the big question is what the numbers are going to be.

i'd be interested in hearing from the shops and if they plan on selling these things. who knows, maybe they won't have a choice as part of their dealer agreement they may have to carry certain models which includes the ebikes.

either way, there are still a number of questions to be answered.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 28, 2014, 7:03 p.m.

Don't think this is going to be solved anytime soon.

Some areas - it will be easy to have non-motorised designation.
Others it will be impossible.

The other "unmentionable" is that there is a chance that the trail network expands as a result of this technology.

I ride mtb and recently bought a trials bike to help with trail building (saves a shit load of time getting to the trail - and is fun). I know of a friend who bought an e-mtb to build a trail (he is building a 1200 meter descent). Would be nearly impossible to build the latter trail without using a motorised bike to get to the trail head.

Personally - I don't like them… But can't see them going away.
If anything, I envision a future where the e-mtb's steal Bike Park clientele. Downhill trails will come back in vogue and be built far away up logging roads.

Nov. 28, 2014, 10:38 p.m.

What about that electric trials bike that was posted in the Trials thread?

Just checked, looks like they are priced $6.4K to $7.9K, I'm guessing this is US before shipping, taxes, etc.

http://cleanrider.com/em-5-7-electric-trial-bike/

Nov. 28, 2014, 10:42 p.m.

Just checked, looks like they are priced $6.4K to $7.9K, I'm guessing this is US before shipping, taxes, etc.

More than 200 sold globally at similar prices to a fancy ebike. Sounds like these haven't taken over the world yet…

Nov. 28, 2014, 11 p.m.

Canadian prices.

Classic - $9495
Sport - $10,099

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Nov. 29, 2014, 9:47 a.m.

More than 200 sold globally at similar prices to a fancy ebike. Sounds like these haven't taken over the world yet…

trials moto is inherently different than a motor bicycle. The barrier to entry (skill) is pretty much zero for the motor bicycle because, it's 'just like riding a bike', only it's motorized. And if you really don't think the price will come down as the technology evolves, then I believe you're being intentionally ignorant. How many times do people have to say this isn't about technology and price as it currently stands? Why are so many in the e-bike industry so adamant that we must accept them on our non-motorized trails if they don't think they will become more available and affordable moving forward?

Nov. 29, 2014, 3:54 p.m.

this thing is cool!
https://www.electricbike.com/ktm-egnition/

Nov. 29, 2014, 6:07 p.m.

I've been reading the fors and against all week .

I am squarely on the against, base solely on this is a motorized bike. …. a Motor bike if you will.

I don't have a problem with them as a whole but I'd prefer that they stay on their own trails or use motorized trails.

I have yet to meet a rider who looks fondly on finding that a mountain bike trail had been used by a dirt bike. I'm not going to go into the who causes more damage to a trail but I will say the damage is very different. Dirt bike damage generally sucks to ride a mountain bike through. This is due to the fact that a motor can just tear the crap out of the ground endlessly with out getting tired, they make ruts that human power can't(or it will take a really long time)

To be perfectly honest I could care less about people riding these things up the access roads(essentially shuttling) like fromme and then riding them down. I even see the day where this forum host the "E-up or Pedal up thread".

And the argument of this being equivalent to shuttling is dumb. I can't shuttle up the bike trails.
If you look at the disputes coming out of Europe where these are more popular, the problems are when people are burning up a DH trail.

Inevitably these ebikes are going to show up in greater numbers. some people will use them correctly and responsibly. Some people won't like but will likely live with it. BUT there will be some who treat these ebikes as a way to access stuff they weren't allowed to on a dirt bike. It will cause disputes. Non motorized will win eventually or quickly and the ebikes will get kicked from our mountains. then it'll be done illegally, in secret…. like Mountain biking was. maybe they work like mountain bikes to legitimize the sport

OR when they get kicked off the Mountains they will just go away because hey they are to lazy to pedal their fat asses up a mountain, much less build a trail.

Nov. 29, 2014, 6:51 p.m.

Here is an idea… boycott the stores that (might) sell them in Vancouver (someday).

They will figure it out pretty quick. If the community is most against it, put your $$$ at work.

Commuter bikes fine, trail bikes not- if that is your preference.

This has been a very interesting thread. Thanks

Talk less, Say More.

Nov. 29, 2014, 6:58 p.m.

Consumer choice is great and all, and I agree with that.

However, the rest of us will still have to live with the consequences of this ongoing stream of crap we do not need. Let there be no doubt the e-bike movement is driven solely by greed, with no consideration whatsoever for the planet, people, or trails.

I see all sort of e-mountain bikes on Craigslist right now, including many with crappy disposable components, soon to be bound for a landfill with their cheap leaky batteries. Thank you all ebike-makers for forcing another piece of garbage down society's throats. Again, individuals can say no, but the marketers, manufacturers, and retailers prey on the stupid and the weak, and the rest of us get to clean up the mess.

Take your ebikes and shove them where they don't fit comfortably, along with your individual packet of Uncle Ben's rice, your Keurig coffee-makers, your fully electronic dashboard control system, your immediately obsolete software and movie formats, and all the other ignorant wasteful sh*T that serves some pretend purpose to enhance our lives, but really functions to make a few people richer at the expense of others.

The human power of bikes in some small way, despite the consumerism that surrounds them, provide a way to kick back against the mindless onslaught of crap that "does things for you". But even that is now being dumbed down to the basest level so fat idiot consumers can have more more more. More trails, more speed, more for me me me! Don't plan your meals and learn how to cook, buy instant individual portions! Don't make proper coffee, press a button and throw the wrapper in the landfill! Why ride a bicycle, when you can ebike and fly by all the peons! MOre more more for me me me!

Nov. 29, 2014, 8:31 p.m.

Here is an idea… boycott the stores that (might) sell them in Vancouver (someday).

They will figure it out pretty quick. If the community is most against it, put your $$$ at work.

Commuter bikes fine, trail bikes not- if that is your preference.

This has been a very interesting thread. Thanks

So boycott everyone then? I was going to suggest that we all buy unicycles, but even the uni store on 4th is linked in with e-bikes. Next I was going to suggest Dream Cycle, but there are plenty of e-Surlys around. Can't support them either then! Every large bike company either has an e-bike of it's own, or is linked to them via a parent company.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 29, 2014, 8:55 p.m.

So boycott everyone then?

What I mean, is the store where you shop, where you have a relationship… tell them please no ebikes we do not want them on the trails.

Put the decision on the store whether to sell them or not. If everyone said that to the store owners this same sort of thing… then… maybe they may reconsider… like maybe they should have with those fat bikes! : )

Just because they make them does not mean they need to sell them. Tell them that. Someone will sell them sure… likely in Regina… but yea, checking out of this convo.

Talk less, Say More.