Moab BLM Bans E-Bikes

Nov. 26, 2014, 3:39 p.m.

It got me thinking about the elitism and arrogance of fitness. Something something about earning and suffering and entitlement. But if I pedal up to 19th Hole or Gravitrout and encounter a truck full of shuttlers I couldn't care less - I've shuttled plenty of times and certainly wouldn't fault anyone for it. So why should I be bothered by this?

Entitlement indeed… Why shouldnt I be able to do multiple laps on Fromme just cause I havent put in the climbing time that would give me the fitness and skills to handle the trails?

I am honestly amazed at the number of people here who think that cheap ebikes (10k for an ebike will not deter anyone) wont be a shitshow on non-shuttle mountains. Im not against shuttling, but it really should be confined, and we all know this. Same with motorized bikes.

I know, Im an elitist prick who thinks that people should earn their downhill (in this case in sweat). But in all seriousness, what is wrong with that? Should everyone should be able to access anything they want with minimal effort?

Hup - trailfairy beat me to it.

A complex interaction between sterics and electronics…

Nov. 26, 2014, 3:52 p.m.

What's elitist about having some sort of skill, fitness, time entry barrier to the sport? So your friend doesn't like climbing. Well then she won't like trails that have lots of climbing. It's crazy to call that elitist.

That's what I told her. More fitness, more skills, more fun.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 26, 2014, 3:59 p.m.

I highly doubt the most of the bigger bike brands give a shit about the minutia of trail access issues. If they see there is profit to be made by selling ebikes then I'm sure they will eventually. They can't control what the end user does, they are just there to sell bikes.

I was thinking about this the other day. If medium and large sized companies with the means to sell e-bikes thought that there was more money to be made by declaring themselves for people-powered bikes only then they would save the design and marketing costs associated with selling E-Bikes.

Obviously they think that the lost sales from any customer who chooses not to buy any bike from them because they choose to make e-motorized-offroad-bicycles will pale compared to the sales potential of these bikes.

If you're posting in this thread (or any other) speaking out against electric bikes consider if you will be willing to cut out a number of brands (Specialized? Trek? Etc!) and companies (see Accell group) from your purchasing decision next time you buy a bike. If you are going to choose to buy any bike from a company selling these bikes then your objection to e-motorized-offroad-bikes in general is weightless?

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Nov. 26, 2014, 4:20 p.m.

It got me thinking about the elitism and arrogance of fitness. Something something about earning and suffering and entitlement.

This is not called elitism this is called being willing to do the work needed to enjoy the reward and entitlement is what they are selling don't drink the modern we are equal bullshit, some people are willing to work hard to get what they desire some are not those that are not do not do the work are not entitled to enjoy said reward. I am so sick with the modern eras let's force everyone to the same level.Mediocrity is running rampant through our whole society and the press and lefties all stive to drag us down to the same level in the name of "fairness". Fair is working hard for what you get whether it's a lovely stretch of downhill after a tough climb or a nicer place to live because your willing to go out and bust your hump every day instead of whining how tough you have it. TINSTAAFL !!

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Nov. 26, 2014, 4:22 p.m.

I just watched some guy on a 50lb ebike clean a climb that is only for elites on Fromme-did it with ease.

I'm curious if he was spinning out everywhere damaging the trail, or impacting it in the same way that the other riders do.

The industry has a vested industry in pushing this through.
The guys who do the actual trail work have every reason not to.

As manufacturers are already tooling up for the next market (26, 29, 27.5, now e-bikes), they must be scared shitless with the BLM decision as it sets precedent.

This was never a conversation of what manufacturers are doing, just personal opinion on trail access in general.

Nov. 26, 2014, 4:31 p.m.

I was thinking about this the other day. If medium and large sized companies with the means to sell e-bikes thought that there was more money to be made by declaring themselves for people-powered bikes only then they would save the design and marketing costs associated with selling E-Bikes.

Obviously they think that the lost sales from any customer who chooses not to buy any bike from them because they choose to make e-motorized-offroad-bicycles will pale compared to the sales potential of these bikes.

If you're posting in this thread (or any other) speaking out against electric bikes consider if you will be willing to cut out a number of brands (Specialized? Trek? Etc!) and companies (see Accell group) from your purchasing decision next time you buy a bike. If you are going to choose to buy any bike from a company selling these bikes then your objection to e-motorized-offroad-bikes in general is weightless?

Biggest issue facing bike companies going this route will be facing is reliability. I mentioned this earlier. Read a article in the Brit mag What Mountain Bike where three writers did a 3 night trip trip with 3 different bikes. One bike was one of the European bike companies E Type bike. By the end of the first day issues where starting to appear. Wiring was starting to show. And by the third night it was barely charging and they saw frayed wires and so on.

This does not surprise me after working as a mechanic in a shop that worked on E Scooters. The wiring was crap and put together by someone colour blind.

I predict that while it sounds good in theory people will not be happy when these things start dying in Lower Mainland and BC weather. And then add in the cost of parts like batteries. Your looking at $200 or more for the batteries to replace and more than $300 to replace the motor when it dies.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 26, 2014, 6:25 p.m.

maintenance and conflict issues are going to be huge…. please no more coverage on this.

This and the fact that it has a motor… but for the sake of argument,

If people feel they are no longer fit enough that they need an ebike to get to their favorite trail, why not just age gracefully, walk up the trail at your pace and ride down on your favorite bike?

Elitist to be fit??? WTF, thanks trail fairy for your reasoned response.

E-bikes are heavy, if an inexperienced user is going to use it to climb faster/higher will they have the fitness/strenght to have fun to ride down the trail?

Battery life- how good is it? How many laps can you rip off and if you're battery dies, how fun will it be to pedal this heavy bike back to your car.

Riding up a dh trail… that would not be a good thing, there are trails that people can ride up now, with the fitness, if people start riding up these, just like if moto's were to ride up these, it would result in increased wear and need for maintenance and potential conflicts.

It seems the industry is the biggest proponent, guess its time for the land managers and advocacy groups to say, we can't accommodate this group, just like we can't accommodate moto's.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Nov. 26, 2014, 6:48 p.m.

You can count me as one elitist who absolutely will not buy a bike from a company selling e bikes.

Nov. 26, 2014, 7:11 p.m.

Pinkbike had the guts to come out against ebikes.

Cam at NSMB has no problem putting out an article which was basically an ebikes ad.

Lets see what other industry whores sell the trails out.

Lee Lau

Nov. 26, 2014, 7:13 p.m.

Arguments noted, just want to lay everything out there for discussions. Not talking about doesn't mean it will disappear.

Nov. 26, 2014, 7:40 p.m.

Pinkbike had the guts to come out against ebikes.

Cam at NSMB has no problem putting out an article which was basically an ebikes ad.

Lets see what other industry whores sell the trails out.

:eek:

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 26, 2014, 8:55 p.m.

Imagine if the Trials user group kicked us out of Britannia, citing trail damage (true) and dangerous encounters (haven't heard of any but anything is possible, right?). I would definitely have something to say about that.

Industry 'edits' and the subsequent trail hunting by half the Lower Mainland will get us kicked out.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 26, 2014, 9:33 p.m.

call it motorbiking, cause that's what it is. and its fair game on crown land baring motorized restrictions. don't call it mountain biking, 'cause as obtuse as the nomenclature is, that term means human powered. can't wait till these thing show up on the whistler west side (thinking Billys Epic), which were moto built and the moto's were kicked out of years ago!

just buy a trials bike and be done with it.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Nov. 27, 2014, 6:55 a.m.

call it motorbiking, cause that's what it is. and its fair game on crown land baring motorized restrictions. don't call it mountain biking, 'cause as obtuse as the nomenclature is, that term means human powered. can't wait till these thing show up on the whistler west side (thinking Billys Epic), which were moto built and the moto's were kicked out of years ago!

just buy a trials bike and be done with it.

for the record, no one has kicked out trials motos from whistler trails, and even in the worca trails sub-committee many people have advocated on their behalf, as it's recognized that they had a hand in many trails in the valley, and given their limited number and impact are the least of our concerns. That isn't to say the old man hikers don't want them booted, because I forsee that in the near to short term future in some areas.

Nov. 27, 2014, 9:43 a.m.

for the record, no one has kicked out trials motos from whistler trails, and even in the worca trails sub-committee many people have advocated on their behalf, as it's recognized that they had a hand in many trails in the valley, and given their limited number and impact are the least of our concerns. That isn't to say the old man hikers don't want them booted, because I forsee that in the near to short term future in some areas.

I am not so sure about that. There is a gate at the bottom of the Flank at Function that has a sign that states no motorized vehicles and i think also at Loggers lake but I am not positive. I did see trials tire tracks Saturday on my way around Loggers lake last Saturday. I doubt that anyone would be able to take a motorized bike around Lost lake or Sea to Sky, or Riverside farside without getting in to trouble pretty quick, if caught. That said I would assume that other trails like Tunnel Vision and the like are fair game.

I think it behooves us mountainbikers to distance ourselves from the motorized/assisted riders in terms of access advocacy. Old man hiker will be even less inclined to endorse e-bikes than human powered bikes.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.