Moab BLM Bans E-Bikes

Nov. 23, 2014, 12:19 p.m.

you sound alot like the hikers that bitched at us 15 years ago. ever remember the no mountain biking sign at the bottom of the climb up fromme in the early 90s

to be fair though Rat he's got a point with his example and so did hikers of 15 years ago if mtb'ers were making similar types of passes. as always it's the ignorant and thoughtless actions of a few that are going to wreck things for many.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 23, 2014, 1:04 p.m.

Quite simple really ebike has an electric motor therefore is motorized and no motorized vehicles are allowed. I really don't see the question

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Nov. 23, 2014, 1:20 p.m.

i'm waiting to see the pissing match between e-bikes and the gas burners .

not sure about para guy . . . somebody better give him a tune up before he wrecks it for the others . . . kohut , you wanna take this one on ?

Nov. 23, 2014, 3:30 p.m.

you sound alot like the hikers that bitched at us 15 years ago. ever remember the no mountain biking sign at the bottom of the climb up fromme in the early 90s

Maybe but motorized vehicle use is supposed to be not allowed on park land.
It is however not being enforced and Electric should be the same.
Btw i thought the electric 4 wheel thing was very cool. However it is dangerous to pass people, horses, hikers, bikes whatever on the right with no warning and very high speed(id estimate 35+K m. He was travelling at car speeds btw. His friend on the reg e bike going same speed.
When I ride in busy multi use trails that are I use a little strap on bell to give people warning. And the usual passing on your left greeting etc. I always yield/or slow down to horses, peds etc and try be to friendly etc.
we don't need bad trail etiquette making things worse for us.
Honestly I feel bad complaining about the guy, but HE is going to hurt someone someday.
If that happens it could also affect access for us regular pedalling peeps.

Nov. 23, 2014, 5:59 p.m.

s.

Neither is building un sanctioned trails, but guess what That's how 90 percent of the mtb trails got built and continue to be built.

As for the dude in the chair. If we banned entire sports because one of the participants was a reckless turd there wouldn't be a lot of legit sports

Nov. 23, 2014, 6:12 p.m.

… building un sanctioned trails, but guess what That's how 90 percent of the mtb trails got built and continue to be built.

amen….

Nov. 24, 2014, 7:56 a.m.

It is however not being enforced and Electric should be the same.
Btw i thought the electric 4 wheel thing was very cool. However it is dangerous to pass people, horses, hikers, bikes whatever on the right with no warning and very high speed(id estimate 35+K m. He was travelling at car speeds btw. His friend on the reg e bike going same speed.
When I ride in busy multi use trails that are I use a little strap on bell to give people warning. And the usual passing on your left greeting etc. I always yield/or slow down to horses, peds etc and try be to friendly etc.
we don't need bad trail etiquette making things worse for us.
Honestly I feel bad complaining about the guy, but HE is going to hurt someone someday.
If that happens it could also affect access for us regular pedalling peeps.

it seems that e-bikers don't back off the throttle at all (or dial back the dial/lever on the left handlebar) when encountering other users on the road, powerlines, Mountain Hwy, Second Narrows Bridge…
I guess as long as you maintain a cadence of 20?, the bike keeps giving full power to what you have dialed
at least reasonable Mtn bikers slow to finess by other riders/trail users
sure there might be some mtb bad apples, but the majority of e-bikers I've seen around here are rotten
I see some of the same attitude in pedal powered commuters and their interaction with cars - with the hollier than thou "I'm not burning fossil fuel; therefore I am more righteous" attitude. The e-bikers don't seem to dial back that attitude when encountering non-motorized groups and full throttle thru while deluding themselves they should be praised for saving the world
especially that guy on 2nd Narrows sidewalk with the e scooter that plays chicken with you when he doesn't have the right of way direction

Nov. 24, 2014, 8:04 a.m.

Maybe they are just trying to avoid the stinkeye they don't deserve.

Nov. 25, 2014, 12:46 p.m.

Here's my take:

The only issue I see is user conflict. The speed and stealth from which an inexperienced e-biker can approach hikers, horse riders, and other bikers is substantial enough to create a bad situation. Banning e-bikers on this premise alone is not enough and rather an education process should be put in place to teach ALL USERS proper trail etiquette.

Now the sensitive subject: trail impact.

My opinion is that e-bikes will not impact trails any more that a regular user would. A e-biker can be categorized as an inexperienced user with limited physical ability. This is the primary market for e-bikes and thus will define the majority of sales. This user will not be attacking the trail on the way up, spinning rubber and letting the dirt fly, nor will they be attacking the trail on the way down, grabbing a handful of brake on every corner to come down from maximum speeds. This user is simply not comfortable nor physically able to ride in a manner that impacts trails more that regular users. There is more to biking that hammer the legs up and down trails: total body strength and physical ability/talent are required. This applies to technical climbing as well so some semi-secret, harder to access trails might still remain that way. There are exceptions to the generalization of who makes up the e-bike crowd: there will be fit, aggressive riders that will take advantage of the extended range and play time of e-bikes. My opinion is this will be a minority given cycling's core (read: knowledgeable) users understand the rewards of physical activity and the limitations of heavy, unwieldly bikes (1998-2005…)

Thus it stands to reason that trail impact being equal, we should welcome new users into the sport, whether they choose to get some help up to the top or not. The impact in revenue to all cycling associated businesses can only be positive given an influx of new members, thus a restructuring of sponsorship requirements from businesses would be reasonable. It could also be said that government funding could also increase with increased ridership. More money means more resources to maintain local trails.

Change is the only constant, and we would do well to acknowledge it and figure out quickly how it can work to our advantage rather than focusing on the negative aspects.

Nov. 25, 2014, 12:59 p.m.

sounds like rocky is developing an e-bike :devil:

Nov. 25, 2014, 1:02 p.m.

his stance is suspiciously soft on the subject, yes.

Nov. 25, 2014, 1:05 p.m.

[QUOTE=kperras;2847950i.
My opinion is that e-bikes will not impact trails any more that a regular user would. A e-biker can be categorized as an inexperienced user with limited physical ability. This is the primary market for e-bikes and thus will define the majority of sales

I'm not so sure you are right on this one. I also see it as a way for people who would prefer to shuttle something to easily gain access to trails that you couldn't shuttle before, without having anyone doing odd man out or retrieval or anything, super easy.

I kind of see these as dirt bikes in disguise and should be treated the same. The demographic of old or unfit or disabled people being the number one users doesn't seem right, I doubt many of those people would drop A LOT of money to rip around easy trails once in awhile.

Nov. 25, 2014, 1:12 p.m.

an education process should be put in place to teach ALL USERS proper trail etiquette.

that's all that really needs to be said about mtb'ing.

some people get and some don't.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 25, 2014, 1:53 p.m.

that's all that really needs to be said about mtb'ing.

some people get and some don't.

Problem is at least in Canada we will have some issues. Those issues being the the term Ebike at least in the authorities view cover the EBike that really is a bicycle with a electric motor assist and the version that masquerades as a bicycle that is really a scooter. The scooter has the cranks and chain to get around regulations that would increase costs if they where not there. And if you tried to pedal like a actual bicycle your knees would quit in pain.

Unfortunately those bigger machines which I will call E Scooters leads to many to believe that it is a bicycle and then try to take them places that they really don't belong.

And this is considered a bicycle by authorities.

And while I have not seen one in a catalogue. It would not surprise me if someone has figured out how to make a off road version. And it is not far fetched to see these things on trails that are less technical. Have heard reports of these thiungs being taken into trail systems out here. And when confronted they all have said…"It is a bicycle".

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 25, 2014, 2:16 p.m.

sounds like rocky is developing an e-bike :devil:

Just is my personal opinion, and not that of Rocky Mountain.

I will admit to changing my opinion after some reflection on the subject rather than saying the first thing that came to mind.

The off-road e-bike user will be the same as the pavement e-bike user: inexperienced? Yes, but with the same rights as other users of the road and trail. More impactfull on trails? Yes, but no more than an increased ridership of non-e-bikers would be.

Increased ridership is a good thing in my opinion. More money in the cycling industry, which is never a bad thing. This goes for shop owners, shop staff, local associations, etc. I think this will predominately be new money, not just a transfer from mechanical to electrical bikes.

Another thought: the entry cost of e-bikes will restrict growth to a manageable level for some time until we hit the intersection of consumer uptake, volume economics, and technology development.