Moab BLM Bans E-Bikes

Nov. 21, 2014, 3:04 p.m.

Basically the BLM in Utah has classified E-Bikes as motorized vehicles

http://reviews.mtbr.com/moab-blm-bans-electric-bikes-on-non-motorized-trails?fb_action_ids=10152884922295030[HTML_REMOVED]fb_action_types=og.comments

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/mountain_bike_trails.html

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 21, 2014, 3:23 p.m.

hope they do that here as well.

:canada:

Nov. 21, 2014, 4:14 p.m.

Pretty easy classification to make, really. If it has a motor on it, it's a motorized vehicle…

I think if the trails aren't authorized for motorized use, than no e-bikes. It's pretty black and white for me.

Ride, don't slide.

Nov. 21, 2014, 5:22 p.m.

I predicted this would happen.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 21, 2014, 6:28 p.m.

sweet

Nov. 23, 2014, 7:52 a.m.

Pretty easy classification to make, really. If it has a motor on it, it's a motorized vehicle…

I think if the trails aren't authorized for motorized use, than no e-bikes. It's pretty black and white for me.

Agreed.

Though I will admit I see some potential fun on the e-bikes (flame away) they need to be treated like a trials moto or similar.

Far too much potential for rapid erosion of trails.

Nov. 23, 2014, 8:44 a.m.

Hallelujah

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 23, 2014, 8:58 a.m.

Agreed.

Though I will admit I see some potential fun on the e-bikes (flame away) they need to be treated like a trials moto or similar.

Far too much potential for rapid erosion of trails.

Ask the trials riders what they think of the influx of mtb in the wet of the southern sea to sky trials zone recently invaded by mtb erosion. Why aren't mtb banned from trials trails?

Nov. 23, 2014, 9:30 a.m.

hope they do that here as well.

yes Please!

I was almost hit from behind along the path that goes up to seymour conservation area last year by a guy in a 4 wheel electric mountain bike thing.
He passed me on the right ,(yes he was a paraplegic but idont want to be one too) with no warning , his what ever you call it, was dead quiet. He was flying down the trail as I was moving at decent speed.
He was closely followed by a girl on a ebike as well. Just flying up the trail. Scared the crap out of me. If I had veered to right hand side he would have creamed me from behind. He has no horn or bell, I checked as I saw him later talking to his e bike Girl friend by the gazebo.
As much as I am sorry he has no use of his legs. He is dangerous and motorized and does not watch out for others safety.
I have seen him several times since then he can go very fast in that thing and he does.
Touchy topic but it is a motorized vehicle in a place where a gas driven vehicle is not allowed.
Why should electric be any different?

Nov. 23, 2014, 9:41 a.m.

For argument sake what if ebikes evolve to fat low pressure and stickier tires that do less erosion than a traditional mtb. Is it ok then.

I could see a 4 inch travel ebike on sticky low psi tires being pretty rad

Nov. 23, 2014, 9:57 a.m.

yes Please!

I was almost hit from behind along the path that goes up to seymour conservation area last year by a guy ON A MOUNTAIN BIKE.
He passed me on the right , with no warning , his what ever you call it, was dead quiet. He was flying down the trail as I was HIKING at decent speed.
He was closely followed by a girl on a MOUNTAIN BIKE as well. Just flying up the trail. Scared the crap out of me. If I had veered to right hand side he would have creamed me from behind. He has no horn or bell, I checked as I saw him later talking to his MOUNTAIN BIKE Girl friend by the gazebo.

you sound alot like the hikers that bitched at us 15 years ago. ever remember the no mountain biking sign at the bottom of the climb up fromme in the early 90s

Nov. 23, 2014, 10:56 a.m.

Ask the trials riders what they think of the influx of mtb in the wet of the southern sea to sky trials zone recently invaded by mtb erosion. Why aren't mtb banned from trials trails?

Not that I don't agree with you. But are there actually designated trials trails up the S2S? I know plenty of irate trials guys. Luckily for them if they don't like mountain bikers on their trails they just travel a bit deeper into the bush and don't link their new lines to a manageable climb.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 23, 2014, 11:30 a.m.

I think most trials guys realize that in area where you share trails the other user group might screw up the trail for you a bit regardless of who built it or who was first.

Im no ebike fanatic but I think its pretty hypocritcal we as mountainbikers are all up in arms to ban something when our history is building illegal trails. we have guys in this thread who have been cutting trails for 15 years where we he is not supposed to (including parks) looking to have another user group banned. its pretty ironic IMO

Nov. 23, 2014, 11:37 a.m.

I think most trials guys realize that in area where you share trails the other user group might screw up the trail for you a bit regardless of who built it or who was first.

Im no ebike fanatic but I think its pretty hypocritcal we as mountainbikers are all up in arms to ban something when our history is building illegal trails. we have guys in this thread who have been cutting trails for 15 years where we he is not supposed to (including parks) looking to have another user group banned. its pretty ironic IMO

QFT. The NIMBY is strong in this thread.

Nov. 23, 2014, 12:12 p.m.

Why do people instantly draw parallels to their own backyards when talking about this? The riding community in Moab is a lot different than the one in Squamish.

There are lots of places mtb's shouldn't go as well. Hikers too. May as well include hoseback riders and unicyclists.

If your area can support multi use then it makes sense to keep it open for all. If motorized bikes are being used in questionable areas then they probably shouldn't be there in the first place. I knew that when I used to ride a dirtbike, that I should stay off mtb trails and trails that would see foot traffic. Even on my mtb, if I am on a trail that sees a lot of hikers, it probably won't be as fun constantly having to check my speed, so I avoid those trails. Mountain bikes on moto trails doesn't make a lot of sense either, mostly because of the chance of getting run down.

Since we are drawing parallels, I am sure glad I don't see ebikes on our local trails. :nono:

Its not necessarily about who originally used the trails but what the trails have become. It would be very awkward seeing a bunch of dirtbikers on Fromme every day now wouldn't it?