Moab BLM Bans E-Bikes

Nov. 28, 2014, 7:58 a.m.

Between this, and the FB thread, my desire for a twist throttle e-Nomad is going through the roof.

Nov. 28, 2014, 8:10 a.m.

shuttling is dead, its all Enduro now

smart ass comments aside,
how do you enforce?
trail design can do a lot to limit e-bikes, motos or just plain inconsiderate mtn bikers
keep the flow trails that are appropriate for 5 year olds short in length and a short walk or ride up the access road (too short to bother e-biking)
break up the flow of longer trails by keeping lots of the native low slow technical trail features that force any type of rider or vehicle to slow down (short armoured sections, exposed bedrock that require low-speed trials skills, tight short radius turns). Basically have lots of natural aesthetically pleasing speed bumps. After all, faster riders may come up on slow riders at any time, trees may be down and with the exception of one trail on Fromme, hikers are allowed to go up everything.

Longer trails should not be 100% rideable, and by keeping sections that only world class trials riders can ride only on a good day, e-bikers would be forced to push or carry their bikes like the rest of us. Designated uphill trails need to have lots of pinch points and a lack of long straight sections that e-bikers can momentum through. The Section of Porcupine Rim in Moab where e-bikes or motos are not allowed has lots of narrow ledges and cliff bands where many people walk their bikes. The e-bikers will quickly tire of humping their bike and look for trails that are more moto appropriate. The E-bikers with world class trials skills that can ride the "speed bumps" will likely also have world class considerate attitudes (on multi-use trails I have never been roosted or harassed by a trials moto riders but quite regularly by quad-tards. I find e-bikers attitudes on access roads and bike lanes to be more quad-tard like)

Nov. 28, 2014, 8:29 a.m.

shuttling is dead, its all Enduro now

smart ass comments aside,
how do you enforce?
trail design can do a lot to limit e-bikes, motos or just plain inconsiderate mtn bikers
keep the flow trails that are appropriate for 5 year olds short in length and a short walk or ride up the access road (too short to bother e-biking)
break up the flow of longer trails by keeping lots of the native low slow technical trail features that force any type of rider or vehicle to slow down (short armoured sections, exposed bedrock that require low-speed trials skills, tight short radius turns). Basically have lots of natural aesthetically pleasing speed bumps. After all, faster riders may come up on slow riders at any time, trees may be down and with the exception of one trail on Fromme, hikers are allowed to go up everything.

Longer trails should not be 100% rideable, and by keeping sections that only world class trials riders can ride only on a good day, e-bikers would be forced to push or carry their bikes like the rest of us. Designated uphill trails need to have lots of pinch points and a lack of long straight sections that e-bikers can momentum through. The Section of Porcupine Rim in Moab where e-bikes or motos are not allowed has lots of narrow ledges and cliff bands where many people walk their bikes. The e-bikers will quickly tire of humping their bike and look for trails that are more moto appropriate. The E-bikers with world class trials skills that can ride the "speed bumps" will likely also have world class considerate attitudes (on multi-use trails I have never been roosted or harassed by a trials moto riders but quite regularly by quad-tards. I find e-bikers attitudes on access roads and bike lanes to be more quad-tard like)

Some interesting ideas. Challenging to impose on existing trails though. And even now if there is a switchback riders don't like (Tall Cans on Cypress anyone) they just rip through the middle. (STRAVA FUCK YEAH!)

Nov. 28, 2014, 8:30 a.m.

Between this, and the FB thread, my desire for a twist throttle e-Nomad is going through the roof.

Done it. Hated it. Much less satisfying and bike like than pedelecs in my experience. AGAIN - THAT DOESN'T MEAN I ENDORSE THEM!!!!!!

Nov. 28, 2014, 9:05 a.m.

E-bikes are going to break the internet! and Strava. Maybe that's a good thing.

:canada:

Nov. 28, 2014, 9:33 a.m.

Done it. Hated it. Much less satisfying and bike like than pedelecs in my experience. AGAIN - THAT DOESN'T MEAN I ENDORSE THEM!!!!!!

freedom hater.

Nov. 28, 2014, 10:08 a.m.

Um… The same way the current ban on motorised vehicles is enforced?

you mean a sign? you know that guys on dirt bikes have been seen going up mtn hwy past the gate rigth? i'd say the only reason you don't see a lot of moto guys there is the trails aren't really conducive to moto guys and that there's a lot of bike traffic.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 28, 2014, 10:25 a.m.

you mean a sign? you know that guys on dirt bikes have been seen going up mtn hwy past the gate rigth? i'd say the only reason you don't see a lot of moto guys there is the trails aren't really conducive to moto guys and that there's a lot of bike traffic.

Make sure the sign is bigger than the no biking sign that was there during the 90s that one didnt work very well

Nov. 28, 2014, 10:27 a.m.

Make sure the sign is bigger than the no biking sign that was there during the 90s that one didnt work very well

:lol::lol::lol:

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 28, 2014, 11:35 a.m.

I wish I had stolen that sign.

Nov. 28, 2014, 1:29 p.m.

i think b/c a small electric motor is not nearly as objectionable as a noisy, loud, stinky 2-stroke. nor is an ebike going to have the same potential to impact the trails as a trials or moto bike.

What about that electric trials bike that was posted in the Trials thread?

Edit to add pic:

http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2843769[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=1173

http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2843877[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=1177

Nov. 28, 2014, 2:05 p.m.

I'll gladly trade away Strava for e-bikes around here.

Nov. 28, 2014, 2:57 p.m.

What about that electric trials bike that was posted in the Trials thread?

a motor is a motor…

:canada:

Nov. 28, 2014, 3:45 p.m.

So if these things are allowed, what's the rule going to be; "hikers, horses, cyclists, and electric bikes as long as they have mtb parts on them and are marketed for lazy mountain bikers permitted, no 2 strokes or vespas allowed"

I think letting these up is a slippery slope to either letting motos in the same areas or letting e bikes in and watching them get more powerful, faster, cheaper and more popular as time goes on, and changing the rules back later would be impossible. Also the lame part is a sign on the trail head only does so much, if these become more popular they will end up wherever the user feels like riding it.

Nov. 28, 2014, 4:06 p.m.

So if these things are allowed, what's the rule going to be; "hikers, horses, cyclists, and electric bikes as long as they have mtb parts on them and are marketed for lazy mountain bikers permitted, no 2 strokes or vespas allowed"

I think letting these up is a slippery slope to either letting motos in the same areas or letting e bikes in and watching them get more powerful, faster, cheaper and more popular as time goes on, and changing the rules back later would be impossible. Also the lame part is a sign on the trail head only does so much, if these become more popular they will end up wherever the user feels like riding it.

for the most part, this sums it up for me.