MEC expansion in North Van. (Merged with rezoning thread)

Nov. 9, 2010, 4:42 p.m.

while we are dusting displays you can finally learn how to take that front wheel off….

1.6 out of 5 dood….1.6….:lol:

http://bcmountainbiking.com/category/bc-bike-shops/?sort=title[HTML_REMOVED]order=asc

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 9, 2010, 4:43 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2444297]^^^ MEC does charge what is close to cost for the local shops. They buy direct from manufacters or US distributors, something your local bike shop is unable to do. MEC is able to do this with all the $$ that they have saved by not having to pay any taxes or dividends to their members.

This is the root problem that the bike shops take issue with.[/QUOTE]

Go in and do some serious price comparisons. MEC's parts are not at a bike shop's cost. Most times on parts, they are only maybe about $10 - $15 cheaper than a shop (on an X9 rear deraileur for example $109 at MEC, probably $120 at most shops). If you're a good customer at a shop they will probably easily give you that deal anyway.

At the end of the day, don't believe the hype on MEC parts. They're making as much, if not more than the bike shops.

Nov. 9, 2010, 5:37 p.m.

1.6 out of 5 dood….1.6….:lol:

http://bcmountainbiking.com/category/bc-bike-shops/?sort=title[HTML_REMOVED]order=asc

at least at my 1.6 i can take off a maxle.. where as at your 4.1 you cant… seems like something is off there..and it isnt your front wheel yet

Nov. 9, 2010, 5:49 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2444297]They buy direct from manufacters or US distributors, something your local bike shop is unable to do.[/QUOTE]

Out of interest, why is this? And what makes MEC different?
I thought there was a free trade agreement between Canada and the US allowing free movement of goods. So why couldn't a bike chain such as Different Bikes or BSP decide to source stuff outside of Norco or Lambert (they're the two main distributors, right?)

OK, so currently the volumes of either of these chains probably wouldn't warrant it but 'even' MEC had to start somewhere - they didn't spring up as 'huge' organization overnight. Same as CRC in the UK - they've often been accused of driving LBS's out of business. I guess it took balls to take the risk to go outside the normal/accepted supply chains.

Sorry, but I don't really have much sympathy for bike shop owners worried about competition. (NOTE: I've bought two very high end bikes from my LBS in the last 12 months and got good deals on the prices and have been happy with their service but I generally buy clothing and spares and commuter-bike related stuff from MEC)

Nov. 9, 2010, 5:56 p.m.

at least at my 1.6 i can take off a maxle.. where as at your 4.1 you cant… seems like something is off there..and it isnt your front wheel yet

That horse died nearly two years ago….

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 9, 2010, 8:48 p.m.

MEC=The Borg.

If you think your LBS owner is making a bundle, think again. It's a really tough business, particularly on the North Shore where there is so much competition and all the shops are fantastic.

I used to shop at MEC for all kinds of stuff but it really bugs me that they are going so aggressively after the small LBS turf. It's not like they're filling a need that wasn't being served. Originally that was the whole point of MEC but they've morphed into a big box store with an unfair advantage.

I had to buy a bike stand awhile back. My LBS ordered it and gave it to me for 30% off. The price was still higher than MEC's. Sorry, but that's ridiculous; obviously the playing field is not level.

Fine for buying long johns but I think I will buy my parts from my LBS. In fact, I think I should buy my long johns elsewhere from now on.

Nov. 9, 2010, 10:27 p.m.

If you think your LBS owner is making a bundle, think again. It's a really tough business, particularly on the North Shore where there is so much competition and all the shops are fantastic.

Some are doing better than others - that's the very nature of business

Originally that was the whole point of MEC but they've morphed into a big box store with an unfair advantage.

Exactly what is the "unfair advantage" that MEC enjoys? Now, I'm not pretending I know the full history of MEC, but I'm guessing they started small, struggled to make their business model work and now, many years later, are reaping the benefits. I'd hardly call that 'unfair'.

obviously the playing field is not level.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why is the playing field not level? Genuine question - why can't shops bypass Norco etc and get better deals direct from manufacturers or from the grey market/US? In the past, I've bought plenty of grey market gear from CRC and not had any issues with it…it's not like it's sub-standard!

Nov. 9, 2010, 10:28 p.m.

@sixzerosixone…
NAFTA only applies to products produced mainly on north American soil so the majority of components and apparel do not apply to this free trade. The reason I see most lbs only order from main Canadian distributors is that they believe in fair competition and do not want to destroy the other lbs. The north van shops thrive off the competition between each other because they are able to price match other lbs and show the better qualities in products they offer.

This is my 2 cents so forgive me if you think I'm way off my post.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just Ride.

Nov. 10, 2010, 1:54 a.m.

On Monday, myself and james wilson from Obsession, attended NV City council meeting to register our objection to MEC's plan. Cove Bikes and North Shore Bike Shop were also in attendance.

The statement I made is below:

Good evening Mayor Mussatto and Councillors

_My name is Michael Theil

I am here tonight representing my business Bicycle Sports Pacific and several other bicycle and outdoor retailers situated in the City and District of North Vancouver

We learned a few days ago of an application to amend the OCP to allow the construction of a big box retailer MEC at 212 Brooksbank.

We are here to make you aware that we vigorously oppose this application to rezone scarce industrial land for big box retail that will harm smaller existing family businesses and negatively affect the North Shore overall.

This particular retailer already enjoys significant advantages over other retailers and rezoning this land, which this retailer has already purchased, effectively would give them a gift in the millions of dollars over what they would have had to pay for retail zoned land.

While the proposal appears green, we believe it is nothing more than green window dressing that obscures the exponentially larger negative environmental and economic impacts of exporting industrial jobs off the North Shore and increasing traffic in an already congested area.

We have reviewed the report by staff and feel it is incomplete in that it has not fully addressed all the environmental, employment and economic issues that should be considered. You have before you a more detailed submission from us that addresses these issues.

The OCP makes it a priority to retain scarce industrial lands and you are to be commended for your foresight in that regard and should not be swayed from it. This is sound urban planning ensuring diversity of employment opportunities and minimizing carbon emissions.

As such, we urge you to reject this application.

Thank you._

A link to the more detailed document we gave to council can be found in the 3rd paragraph here

http://communities.canada.com/vancouversun/blogs/cayo/archive/2010/11/09/mec-pitches-new-store-bike-shops-formally-object.aspx

Here is an excerpt from North Van City's Economic Development Strategy which also makes reference to the OCP which has similar provisions regarding industrial lands.

_Goal C-3. Maintain the city[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s industrial land base

Light, clean industrial development is important to the city[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s economy both in terms of economic diversification and also linkages to other local business sectors.

Strategy 30.
Maintain industrial land for industrial purposes and support more intense uses of the land.

Left purely to market choice, the economics of land development in recent years have been far more favourable for residential development than for commercial or industrial development. Concern is now being widely expressed within the business, economic development and planning communities about the excessive loss of employment supporting land throughout Metro Vancouver.

Even the slightest hint from the City that current commercial or industrial land might be considered for conversion to residential use is often sufficient to inflate the land value to a level that becomes uneconomic for significant employment use.

Only through firm and consistent application of land use policies can this speculative pressure be defused.
Current OCP policies (Section 5.4) recognize the importance of maintaining an industrial land base and these policies should continue to be strongly supported.
Metro Vancouver[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s supply of developable vacant industrial land is predicted by some analysts to be depleted within 10 to 15 years. One of the outcomes will be the gradual redevelopment of existing industrial areas for more intense industrial use. As part of this process, i_t is important that the City ensure that the types of uses that it permits on its industrial lands are most appropriate for an industrial location (as opposed to being better suited to a commercial location) and that permitted densities (i.e., maximum Floor Area Ratios) allow for and encourage significant intensification.

Their own policy and the ignorance of some councilors flies in the face of what went on at the council meeting.

Furthermore, the city is part of Metro Vancouver (what used to be called GVRD). On November 12, Metro Vancouver will have first reading of a new Regional Growth Strategy Bylaw. The mayor of NV is on the board. Here is a link

http://public.metrovancouver.org/planning/development/strategy/RGSDocs/November12thRegionalGrowthStrategyDraftBylaw.pdf

That bylaw, like the above, extols the benefits of, enshrines and aims to protect industrial land. Its the second strategy!

For the mayor to play possum at the recent meeting and have other councilors claim ignorance about the demand for industrial land, while another just said "let industry go to Langley" suggests these are either the most uninformed people ever elected or that there is something up with this.

One should also ask, how MEC's much lauded claims of fostering sustainability, protecting the environment and acting with concern for the community, fit with rezoning land needed for sustainable communities, to big box retail.

There is no more land and MEC has, at last count, over $100,000,000 (tax free) in the bank, with which they could buy commercially zoned land. Yet, they have instead pursued the strategy of rezoning industrial land, purchased at an industrial price, saving by one realtor's estimate, about 40% over what they would have had to pay.

In exchange, the possibility of higher paying jobs are exported out of NV, resulting in workers having to drive further to work (to Langley if one councilor has his way) , replaced by lower paying retail jobs who will have to commute out of the community, since they can't afford to live here. The carbon foot print of all that, will not be offset by any green building that MEC may build. Their motives are not altruistic

Bicycle Sports Pacific
World Class Bikes

Mon-Sat 10-6 and Sun 12-5

Three Locations:

Vancouver - 999 Pacific St

North Vancouver - 1359 Main St

Langley - 19950 Willowbrook Dr

BSP's Website

Nov. 10, 2010, 5:09 a.m.

these are either the stupidest people ever elected

Most stupid.

http://languageandgrammar.com/2008/05/09/stupid-grammar-error/

Nov. 10, 2010, 5:16 a.m.

Did a councillor REALLY say "let industry move to Langley"?

I'd be working to get that person off my city council as fast and hard as I could.

MEC's co-op status should be reviewed at the least.

When it was a little messy retailer off broadway with decent prices,I could see it,but now they are just another huge retailer with an inhouse brand that is no cheaper than the competition for similar quality.

Keep up the good fight.

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 10, 2010, 5:16 a.m.

I dunno man…. Coming from a country where CRC / Wiggle / Actionsports.de / etc have ripped through the LBS industry in a way that MEC could only dream of, I don't understand why the likes of Theil bitches about them so much (Mike moan….LOL etc…). There are still countless shops in the UK that do great business and those are the ones that concentrate on their own business models, rather than bitching about someone elses.

Personally, I've yet buy anything from MEC, not for ideological reasons, they've just never had what I want. Even when I wanted some outdoor stuff (trail building related), I drew a blank there and bought it from an army surplus store down the road.

true, the customers can only win in my eyes. why is everything in canada so much more expensive? i don't see any additional benefits for the customers. the shops in whistler could have made so much more profit if their prices are competitive, so all the people i knew this summer ordered their stuff from the states or crc. i even didn't need to pay any taxes/customs on my 450$ buy from avalanche, so not even the country got any benefits…

cheaper prices -[HTML_REMOVED] money stays in the country. so easy.

Nov. 10, 2010, 5:18 a.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2444297]^^^ MEC does charge what is close to cost for the local shops. They buy direct from manufacters or US distributors, something your local bike shop is unable to do. [/QUOTE]

so i ask you, why can't they do this? last time i checked you guys also live in a capitalist world where everyone can order anything where they want…

Nov. 10, 2010, 5:24 a.m.

The reason I see most lbs only order from main Canadian distributors is that they believe in fair competition and do not want to destroy the other lbs.

then they are stupid and don't undetstand how a business works…

Nov. 10, 2010, 5:28 a.m.

so i ask you, why can't they do this? last time i checked you guys also live in a capitalist world where everyone can order anything where they want…

MEC has tax status as a co-operative entity.

Not only do they get special tax breaks because of this,they also get to act as purchaser,importer and retailer for thier "members"..(to shop there you have to be a shareholder….a big 5 dollar expense).

This was a fair model back in the 80's and early 90's where getting proper backcountry gear was an issue in these parts,but now they've morphed into a sort of tax exempt walmart of sporting goods,sailing under the flag of environment and sustainability.

Pastor of Muppets