manuals............

Jan. 16, 2003, 7:36 p.m.

haha i was driveway practicing myself tonight. i have the opposite problem - i always have to tap my brakes, and that usually brings the front wheel down. but hey.. at the beginning i was manualling like 10 feet, now i'm manualling an average of 15 - 20. so thats better..

I had them a lot better on my old bike. trying to get used to the short stays - i know they'll be better in the end but right now, the bike just wants to flip over backwards all the time!!

Jan. 16, 2003, 7:37 p.m.

Originally posted by Monster Mike
keep arms and legs bent.

Hmm, I would have to say keep arms fairly straight…and you're legs should be slightly bent and ready to pump if it's required. The biggest mistake I see people making is having there arms really bent and pulling the bike up to there chest, not only does this look ugly, it is extremely difficult to balance for long at that point. Get behind your seat a little bit, with slightly bent legs and fairly straight arms. Remeber of course to always have one finger on the brake lever to prevent flipping back. Practise Coasting in a wheely then start standing up that should help getting the balance point.

Jan. 16, 2003, 7:42 p.m.

The key to manuals is……..practice…….theres no magic technique or body placement that makes you do them longer…..it is whatever you can do to get your front wheel up……if you keep doing them eventually your body will eventually learn how to move……..I think it's called muscle memory…..it's all experience…..it's all practice……like learning to ride your bike without hands

MSN me at: [email protected]
www.bigringbikes.cjb.net
www.cyberetrothreads.com

Jan. 16, 2003, 8:02 p.m.

Jimmy, you're right, manuals don't come over night. And playing hockey instead of riding doesn't help;)

Here is what I've found helpful. In terms of gear, a short stem (50mm) or less and/or a 24" rear wheel really helps on getting the bike up in the air.

In terms of technique, I've found that going at a decent pace helps me to keep my balance. Because you're probably not going to be on the sweet spot right when you start riding, going a bit faster will allow you more time to try and balance on your rear wheel.

Also, Ive found that when I pull up really hard to manual, I end up going to one side. When I relax and try to pull back in a fluid motion, it seems to be smoother.

I'm still trying to stay on the sweet spot so I haven't quite discovered the caramilk secret.

Jan. 16, 2003, 8:06 p.m.

hey, thanks all again……….sweet tips here and there

and colin, hockey strengths the wrists…….:rolleyes: :D
and i was actually planning on getting a new stem as well, mines 70mm:(

dmr trailstar lt complete street bicycle - sold

Jan. 16, 2003, 8:14 p.m.

Thanks guys…its kinda funny how a one hander came before my manuals even though I've been practising manuals for over a month and one handers for an hour. I think I could get pissed off soon.

I'm gonna go an dpractise tonight. Maybe the being fluint crap will help me.

Cya,
Chris

Hoots Gear/Dizzy Cycles/Kenda USA/eNVy

Bonz Lever for __sale__ for Hayes & Hayes 8" adapter for Boxxer