Mace Clothing - Why do they think gluing clothes together will work?

July 21, 2008, 9:56 a.m.

I have just bought a pair of Mace shorts and was dissapointed to find the pockets have been glued on.
Mace has always been well known for their quality garments, my husband has a pair of shorts that he trailbuilt in for two years with only a minor tear. Now they are gluing clothing together and its falling apart in the first wash or as my new shorts pockets prove, as soon as you slide your hands into them.
We have been waiting since March to have the last pair replaced and have an army of people trying to get them back for us.
I won't be buying anymore MACE clothing, instead I'm going to staple some fabric together and safety pin the MACE logo to it.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

July 21, 2008, 10:17 a.m.

Sorry to hear that.

Sombrio at least stiches their shorts, but my wife bought a pair and the crotch blew out first time on the mountain.

She took them back and got a different pair in exchange. Guess what - crotch blew out first time.

I have some azonic shorts from like 2002, they have been worn on damn near every ride I've been on, road or mountain since brand new. Look as good as the day they were made. The crotch on them is triple stitched. I say look for triple stitching in any bike shorts (not lycra) to ensure durability.

July 21, 2008, 10:23 a.m.

everyone i know that has had those mace shorts has complained of the same issue. i'm going to stick with my RaceFace shorts - they're pretty much bombproof. actually anything either raceface or dakine is a pretty safe bet as to both durability and quality.

July 21, 2008, 10:24 a.m.

My Race Face DH shorts have taken a few big hits on sharp rocks and they've been absolutely bomb proof - not even one stitch has come undone. It really makes a difference when a company puts thought into the construction of their gear.

www.muddbunnies.com
www.nsmba.ca
www.bteamlovesyou.com

you can always make more money but you can never make more time.

I think it's called work for a reason. Or else they probably would have called it fun-time at the fun factory.

July 21, 2008, 11:04 a.m.

…I love that people think buying BIKE SPECIFIC mtb shorts for riding the shore makes a difference in how long they last. Or my personal favourite, "DESIGNED TO PREVENT SNAGS ON THE SEAT ON THOSE STEEP SECTIONS!!!"

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

July 21, 2008, 11:07 a.m.

…I love that people think buying BIKE SPECIFIC mtb shorts for riding the shore makes a difference in how long they last. Or my personal favourite, "DESIGNED TO PREVENT SNAGS ON THE SEAT ON THOSE STEEP SECTIONS!!!"

This isn't the case here. Although I agree with your sarcasm, I've got a couple friends with Mace shorts that have fallen apart the first time they wash them. The zipper glue falls off.

Maybe they need to be washed cold and by hand? Do the instructions say so?

July 21, 2008, 11:13 a.m.

This isn't the case here. Although I agree with your sarcasm, I've got a couple friends with Mace shorts that have fallen apart the first time they wash them. The zipper glue falls off.

Cold washing a heavily soiled garment isn't a great idea, plus, the designers should cater to the lowest common denominator: Think of the dumbest thing someone could do and make it able to handle it. In this case, if someone warm washes the item and it falls apart, then they don't have to honour the warranty, but it doesn't matter, they have just lost the trust of customers, and their friends.

July 21, 2008, 11:16 a.m.

I have those POS shorts too. After one wash, cold water and hung to dry, they pealed away at the vents. Hand washing might get you a few more washes, but there is no way Mace didn't discover this before they went to market.

July 21, 2008, 11:22 a.m.

i like my prana shorts from mec…$32/pair and u can go for a swim, coffee , beer in them as well….

i find all the geared up peeps repping their favorite logos look kind of funny.

http://www.prana.com/0037-Mojo-Short.aspx

July 21, 2008, 11:23 a.m.

Welcome to the world of consumer testing.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

July 21, 2008, 11:52 a.m.

i'm with uncle d, my mec shorts have lasted 6+ years of riding! Not very stylish but for $45 it was money very well spent.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

July 21, 2008, 11:53 a.m.

I guess they are giving "planned obsolescence" a new definition here, eh?

all investing is is a type of arbitrage, and thats not gambling. theres an element of risk and potential of profit involved, but those are broad and dont qualify somthing as gambling.

most Christians I know, myself included, would say that science is the way through which we learn about everything that God has created, but we learn at the pace which he sets for us.

July 21, 2008, 12:46 p.m.

i like my prana shorts from mec…$32/pair and u can go for a swim, coffee , beer in them as well….
http://www.prana.com/0037-Mojo-Short.aspx

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;1985244]i'm with uncle d, my mec shorts have lasted 6+ years of riding! Not very stylish but for $45 it was money very well spent.

Does MEC have any shorts that are 3/4 length?

www.muddbunnies.com
www.nsmba.ca
www.bteamlovesyou.com

you can always make more money but you can never make more time.

I think it's called work for a reason. Or else they probably would have called it fun-time at the fun factory.

July 21, 2008, 12:53 p.m.

+3 for the MEC shorts. I have the old Huck and new Huck shorts and they are wearing well. The newer Huck looks pretty good too and is a bit longer below the knees.

July 21, 2008, 1:04 p.m.

I have a pair of mace shorts and wear them all the time XC and DH they have held up fine for over a year….and yes they have been washed. (in cold water and they have come clean)
I am not sure if they are glued or not, they were bought Apr07.