LSCR Bike Trails - NEDS/Dales structure removal

July 24, 2013, 2:12 p.m.

its the new Stand Your Ground risk management plan. If it possibly could potentially be considered a risky thing at some point in the distant future, kill it

Any structures that have been removed by Metro are ones they consider to be sub standard.

If anyone wishes to rebuild something that is up to standard they are open and happy to review any rebuild proposals.

July 24, 2013, 4:55 p.m.

Any structures that have been removed by Metro are ones they consider to be sub standard.

If anyone wishes to rebuild something that is up to standard they are open and happy to review any rebuild proposals.

agreed. It is my understanding that LSCR is one of the most accomodating, easiest to work with landowners on the shore. Their current approach is such that they will allow the bike/DH network to exist as long as the community show that they are willing to maintain and only build the highest quality ETF's. Ones that wont rot out in 5 years and put riders at risk of injury due to poor quality trails.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

July 24, 2013, 5:12 p.m.

How old was that A-frame? It's been there as long as I've been riding.

July 24, 2013, 5:20 p.m.

For some reason I can't believe this.

Are you saying that Metro is open to having stunts built on their land as long as they meet some magical standard?

Do they have "standards" for something like the A frame?

The only standards I can think of would require railings and fall arrest gear.

Pastor of Muppets

July 24, 2013, 5:36 p.m.

How old was that A-frame? It's been there as long as I've been riding.

My memory of it goes back 16 or 17 years (probably older than that). But it was partially replaced at least once during that span…. it only had a skinny exit at first that eventually was replaced with a wider option and the original skinny line…. then the skinny line was just removed.

Sad to see it gone, that was one of the very first things I put on my checklist and that I had to work up to.

July 24, 2013, 5:42 p.m.

Are you saying that Metro is open to having stunts built on their land as long as they meet some magical standard?

Judging by their liberal chainsaw use elsewhere on the mountain (not talking about Aftertaste) I am going to have to say no. They are supportive but don't take kindly to rogue building.

July 26, 2013, 9:17 p.m.

The Neds A- frame has been replaced twice in the last 10 years. Last time was about 6 years ago and the big supporting log was rotted already then. Yes, I inspected it then.

This underinformed misunderstanding about standards is just weak. If its built solidly out of cedar it's not a problem. If its years old and rotted, it's the landowners responsibility to keep their land safe from potentially collapsing structures. It's not their responsibility to rebuild them, but I'm sure it would be no problem for someone to step up and rebuild it with permission. And a proposal is as simple as "I'm going to replace the existing A-frame, but build it with 4x4 cedar posts instead of a rotted old deadfall supporting it" - think Corkscrew A-frame that was replaced exactly like that…