LSCR Bike Trails - NEDS/Dales structure removal

May 30, 2013, 11:03 a.m.

From the LSCR newsletter I just received:

Some mountain bike structures on popular LSCR trails (Ned[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s, Dale[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s, etc.) have reached their lifespan and may now present a safety hazard to users due to structural or surfacing deficiencies. Those structures deemed to be unsafe and beyond repair are being removed

May 30, 2013, 11:51 a.m.

Any specific structures indicated? Or when?

Thanks for posting this up.

Ride, don't slide.

May 30, 2013, 12:07 p.m.

Any specific structures indicated? Or when?

No, that's literally a copy and paste of everything from their email

May 30, 2013, 1:01 p.m.

i think it was done a couple months back, on neds at least

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 30, 2013, 1:22 p.m.

So fix them . Nope tear em down! Fuck you. I could join nsmba and voice my opinion. Jerry ,Mark wood ect will tell me that no one wants wood structures any more and that my oppinion is wrong. What a fucking joke dumb down trails and you encorage illeagal trail building. How long till this gets deleated? Feel free to correct my spelling mistakes. If that's what makes you feel special.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

May 30, 2013, 1:34 p.m.

May 30, 2013, 1:36 p.m.

The log ride to the drop at the end of of Neds was decommissioned… disappointingly enough.

Is there a reason why they are being removed VS replaced…? (and before people jump on the "if you want them go fix them" etc wagon) How hard would it be to to a trail day inviting those who want the structures to come out and help rebuild them… Most trail days consist of moving dirt and cater to riders who appreciate flowy ribbons of gold… why can it not be the same for those who like structures? "These structures are past their prime and require attention. Rebuild trail day is X date". It would appease many who are on the otherside of the "shore argument" one would think.

May 30, 2013, 1:36 p.m.

I'm all rep'd out on you, but kudos for that gold!

May 30, 2013, 1:38 p.m.

So fix them . Nope tear em down! Fuck you. I could join nsmba and voice my opinion. Jerry ,Mark wood ect will tell me that no one wants wood structures any more and that my oppinion is wrong. What a fucking joke dumb down trails and you encorage illeagal trail building. How long till this gets deleated? Feel free to correct my spelling mistakes. If that's what makes you feel special.

You fix them up. It's that easy. No one else wants to step up to the plate.

:canada:

May 30, 2013, 1:46 p.m.

You fix them up. It's that easy. No one else wants to step up to the plate.

As logical as this may seem.. its still extremely illogical. If the trail has been tapped… and some random person went in and started building structures.. what would happen? How does the NSMBA and land owner know they are structurally sound and safe…. If the NSMBA has stepped up to the plate to take on the trails then these include structures as the structures are inherently part of the trail. Has there been a trail day for wood work yet? If not.. why? Also if this is in fact the case how can one say nobody will step up to the plate, if nobody in the organizing body for trail days has asked people to step up?

May 30, 2013, 2:23 p.m.

Muddbunnies/Ryders replaced some woodwork on Sunday on Pangor.

May 30, 2013, 3:07 p.m.

Rebuild the Structures, Make trail Structure building/repair crews have these days at a reasonable time of day say 10-11am start there are many more guys who ride later in the day who DONT get up to ride @ 8 or even 9 am . I have seen many a structures either decommissioned or chopped up . the ones that do get rebuilt dont keep the original structure shape or difficulty . When structures do get either rebuilt or made more difficult its something to build riding skills on and not every one should be riding structures because its there . Structures should not be widened out to double or triple the original width or made slopes less of an angle for more to ride . you can always put in easy structures on trails and maintain the more difficult to keep the more advanced riders entertained instead of complaining when a feature is changed or demolished . I know of a good source of wood that is perfect and am sure there are still a few guys that know how to build structures to teach the rest . Its not rocket science . Make it EASY for people to participate in trail days even hourly meeting times for late comers . :banana: it would be really cool to see all the structures rebuilt and be able to ride them again or even ride for the first time.
Every one should be able to ride the shore within their abilities but difficult trail features need to be kept ! Period ! How else does ones riding skill progress ? How Did the North shore become world renowned ? People come from all over the world to ride what we have we need to keep and build more to maintain that status!

May 30, 2013, 4:22 p.m.

Considering that we used to ride up Ned's atomic Dustbin, some might say take all that crap away so we can climb again. (Somewhat sarcastic response)

Just rebuild them with materials that won't degrade such as dirt and rock or better wood structures actually. I haven't been down Ned's in a while but my recollection is that there were some sketchy structures there.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

May 30, 2013, 4:34 p.m.

Make trail Structure building/repair crews have these days at a reasonable time of day say 10-11am start there are many more guys who ride later in the day who DONT get up to ride @ 8 or even 9 am .

11am start an hour long lunch at noon and finish up by 2pm.

May 30, 2013, 5:04 p.m.

11am start an hour long lunch at noon and finish up by 2pm.

i'm in!

but i need an extra 1/2 hour after lunch to let all the food settle. and a 1/2 hour at the end of the day to clean up tools. same 1/2 to get things prepped in the morning.

fuck it, 1/2 hour safety meeting and call it a day!

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer