LSCR

June 2, 2022, 9 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I have to say I also kinda like Ned's as it is right now.

me too
and it hasn't really changed in 20 years

June 2, 2022, 10:08 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

I am just saying why ride on rocks when you can ride loam? For me, I could put up with riding rocks as long as some funky features came along.

Agreed. It's not like it's smooth,  grippy sandstone in an otherworldly landscape like Moab or Sedona! It's not even like Squamish slabs (some of which have fabulous views). Nah, Neds is just rough-as-fuck...

😉

June 3, 2022, 9:08 a.m.

Neds is a complete disaster....  eroded mess of a creek bed.  Some reroutes are really needed.  Pingu is another mess of a trail and could use some rerouting.  Riding in creek beds is not good.

June 5, 2022, 7:04 a.m.

You reckon Pingu is a mess? I get Ned's, but pingu? Pingu is pretty well maintained IMO. 

The early section with the three drops and wood roll down gets a little chundery but to me that's just part of the character. It's rated a black trail. 

If the goal was to change it to a blue I could see "fixing" that section, but beyond that it's basically a flow trail....

June 5, 2022, 7:48 a.m.

I think he may have been referring to lower down on Pingu since he mention creek bed.  There are vast sections of that trail are quite literally creek beds.

June 5, 2022, 8:28 a.m.

Pangor. Not Pingu.

Incline trail old exit of Pingu is a straight fall line rainwater collector alley. The trail exit has been rerouted to allow the forest to reclaim the bottom of Incline.

And Pangor was built 20+ years ago also on perfect fall line conditions, following many sections of low-points in the forest. Nowhere near any creeks. Riding Pangor in the winter of 2000-2001 was a muddy wet mess most of the way. 19 years of traildays have raised most of the trail out of the muck and water-flow.

The reason sections of Pangor are wet is underground rainwater pouring out of the sides of the trail, much like a groundwater spring. Boogieman, which is above Pangor, has four natural groundwater springs that flow 8-9 months of the year. Water flows downhill.

Last edited by: heckler on June 5, 2022, 8:49 a.m., edited 4 times in total.
June 5, 2022, 8:39 a.m.

https://www.trailforks.com/report/1285507/

The 2020 Pangor reroute build took out one long section of water flow off Pangor, so far it's been a huge success, but time will tell.   One of the Boogieman springs is directly above the only spot that showing any wear.

Some stats on the reroute - 72 individual volunteers helped out out on 21 traildays of approximately 6 hours each from August 7 to November 2, 2020. A total of 392 volunteer labour hours to remove all the duff in a 2-3 foot wide strip and replace it with grade reversals, drainages and sumps, all made from rock and gold mineral soil. A huge thanks to Giant Vancouver, BOC Racing, Giant Canada, Westport Fuel Systems and all the individuals who came out to help me with a project I've had planned and permitted in 2018!

June 5, 2022, 8:43 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

Pangor.

19 years of traildays and 11 reroutes (5 major, 6 minor)  have raised most of the trail out of the muck and water-flow.

so, yeah, they should totally get on it - what a mess of a trail.

Last edited by: heckler on June 5, 2022, 8:52 a.m., edited 6 times in total.
June 5, 2022, 10:01 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

so, yeah, they should totally get on it - what a mess of a trail.

Yeah the pangor comment confuses me as much or more than the pingu comment.

June 6, 2022, 7:42 a.m.

If there was a world ranking for how opinionated riders are about their local trails, the North Shore would probably be number 1.

June 6, 2022, 8:47 a.m.

I agree, there are lots of opinions. 

There's a lot of riders (increasing every year), of different abilities, with different desires, needs, wants, likes, etc... and unfortunately a bunch of land managers who haven't proactively planned out the network, or increased the number of trails.

June 6, 2022, 9:34 a.m.

A blast of a run down Neds on a hard tail is one of my favoured trails.  I can tell how well I'm riding by how beat up I feel at the end! Never fast, but always spicy.

June 6, 2022, 11 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

If there was a world ranking for how opinionated riders are about their local trails, the North Shore would probably be number 1.

I had dug up a 2002 thread about Pangor, it was hilarious.  Things have not changed.

June 6, 2022, 1:34 p.m.

I meant Pangor... not Pingu. Pingu is pretty fun and can get some flow, Pangor, not so much. A Trail stuck in 2004 with janky lines and could do a redo in a lot of sections as you are still going down creekbeds.  and yes, it's my opinion and with the people I ride with.  Boogie is leagues above in terms of water management and flow.

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on June 6, 2022, 1:41 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 6, 2022, 1:57 p.m.

Whatever Metro and the LSCR decide to do with the light, dark, and front side trails, I hope they realize that today's bike community will really only accept that the present trail network of both authorized and unsanctioned trails will form the baseline trail network for the future. Any effort to pull a Hangman or Sack Shifter move on pretty much anything up there won't stick with riders these days. The multiple (formerly) loam lines around CBC are evidence of what modern bikes and brakes can do. Close a trail and a new one opens 10 feet away after 3 people choose a new line.

If they're going to put paid muni workers in the forest, they would be wise to focus their efforts on improving the places they want us to ride rather than trying to close off areas they don't want riders to go. That just won't work anymore. It would be wise for the NSMBA to tell them as much, in a non-confrontational way, of course.