LSCR

Jan. 14, 2022, 4:52 p.m.

Just scrolling through the websites of the various property managers on the north shore today and noticed a few interesting tidbits in the LSCR's 2022 workplan (workplan is on the bottom right of this page; http://www.metrovancouver.org/services/parks/parks-greenways-reserves/lower-seymour-conservation-reserve). Here are a few of the things; 

- Work on Cambodia;  LSCR East Area Trails Plan (Upgrades to Ned’s, TNT, Cabin, Cambodia)

- North Shore trails committee; Collaborate with North Shore Trails Management Committee

- Update trail standards; Update 2017 LSCR Trail Standards

Does anyone have any more details...Will they actually re-build Cambodia with stunts? Will they create a good set of trail standards??

Jan. 14, 2022, 8:02 p.m.

Wasn't there some grand plan to make the whole "Cambodia/Boulder Creek" a hiking only zone? Seem to remember reading that somewhere...

Jan. 17, 2022, 2:27 p.m.

Always great reading, thanks for the links here.

Jan. 19, 2022, 12:10 a.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Wasn't there some grand plan to make the whole "Cambodia/Boulder Creek" a hiking only zone?

Yes. From page 51 of the 2018 Strategic Plan (http://www.metrovancouver.org/services/parks/ParksPublications/LSCRTrailsStrategicPlan.pdf)

Create ‘Hiking Only Zone’ in Boulder Creek Area and explore a looping network of hiking trails.

Based on the environmental assessment Cambodia traverses mature forest sensitive ecosystem, and this corridor should be limited to pedestrian use only.

Feb. 24, 2022, 10:56 p.m.

If you've ridden Ned's any time in the last six months there was a bridge replacement that definitely looks put in by parks and not trail builders. A big, wide, solid steel bridge. Looks almost exactly like the type of bridge they put on the hiking trails. Hmmm. I also have my suspicions there's plans for a reroute taking bikes back east away from neds before you cross the river.

Feb. 25, 2022, 7:09 a.m.

I don't trust LSCR, or think that they understand the user groups, trail difficulty levels, and trail types. But it sounds like Cambodia will be a MTB trail for the foreseeable future. Cooper speaks about it in this STEED Podcast (https://steedcycles.com/blog/podcast-episode-9/). Hopefully the LSCR will keep the trail difficulty level...

June 1, 2022, 3:33 p.m.

Received the spring/summer LSCR Newsletter today, which had this notice in it:

Metro Vancouver conducted a Request for Proposal to hire a contractor to fully upgrade Ned’s Trail. Work will be underway throughout the spring until the fall of 2022; expect full trail closures until completion.

Last edited by: PaulB on June 1, 2022, 3:33 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 1, 2022, 4:02 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

Received the spring/summer LSCR Newsletter today, which had this notice in it:

Metro Vancouver conducted a Request for Proposal to hire a contractor to fully upgrade Ned’s Trail. Work will be underway throughout the spring until the fall of 2022; expect full trail closures until completion.

Interesting...I'm sure there will be plenty of outrage but I was impressed with the CBC work DreamWizards did, so here's hoping for a positive outcome.

June 1, 2022, 6 p.m.

If they could rebuild Ned's like they did CBC, that would be a good thing. Right now it's a rock-filled creek bed with no features.

June 1, 2022, 7:50 p.m.

I haven't seen the new CBC work, but heard that Dreamwizards maintained the feel. Dreamwizards is a pretty awesome crew. It would be nice if they brought back some hard features/skinnies/jumps, on Neds (or gave some updates on the plans).

They also mention this;

Other Trail Management Partnerships

Recreation Sites and Trails BC and the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation are developing a Recreation Access Management Plan for high value recreation trails on Mt. Seymour. Metro Vancouver works actively with provincial partners to maintain a cohesive trail network.

It'd be nice to know what the cohesive network might look like!

June 2, 2022, 9:58 a.m.

Neds is nowhere near as bad as CBC was and I'll be sad to see it fixed up as it's damn well perfect (well maybe some more drainage wouldn't go amiss). I would hope though that they give Dirty Diapers some love if Neds gets re-done, seems like it's still an official trail but the most neglected by far.

Last edited by: bingobus on June 2, 2022, 9:59 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 2, 2022, 10:01 a.m.

I have to say I also kinda like Ned's as it is right now.

June 2, 2022, 2:34 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

If they could rebuild Ned's like they did CBC, that would be a good thing. Right now it's a rock-filled creek bed with no features.

It's been down to bedrock for as long as I can remember... 15, 20 years? When did they take the A-Frame out? Early 2000s, late 90s?

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on June 2, 2022, 2:34 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 2, 2022, 3:04 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Posted by: Stuminator

It's been down to bedrock for as long as I can remember... 15, 20 years? When did they take the A-Frame out? Early 2000s, late 90s?

I moved to Vancouver in 2007 and rode Neds quite a lot back in the day and the A frame was present then, so I'm guessing it was removed sometime after ~2010...

June 2, 2022, 7:36 p.m.

I am just saying why ride on rocks when you can ride loam? For me, I could put up with riding rocks as long as some funky features came along.