Lower Griffin log ride wrecked

Nov. 30, 2009, 1:10 p.m.

That logride was definitely not out of place - it was a good beginner feature. Quality was a little suspect though. The wide original trail was the ride-around.

I don't really care, I didn't build it and I can live without it.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 30, 2009, 5:22 p.m.

secret trails for the win.

anus

Nov. 30, 2009, 6:08 p.m.

better question. who put in that poorly thought piece of crap anyway and makes you think that putting in skinnies everywhere is a good idea? It made a drainage issue. The exit was built like shit. I'm glad it got chopped. and the next godamn skinny that gets built on a beginner trail is going to get chopped too so don't bother wasting your time. And just to make it clear I don't own a saw and didn't chop the damn thing.

How does this jag help? At least the builder took the time to actually make something. Not many people do that anymore, and maybe you, being a powerful force around here, should try to foster that creative urge. It worked for n and t…
Maybe it wansnt up to your standards (the shit looked and rode fine to me), but everyone gots to start somewhere, yeah? You didnt crap all over my head when I build my first structure (which was most definitely NOT up to snuff).
Look, I know that youre a vitriolic person, and thats fine, thats your thing, but the internet is full of negativity. You can do better. Or at least reel it back in public - ape shall not kill ape!!!!

Also, some people like skinnies. Even (I would say especially) beginners. What better way to teach rear-wheel awareness - of which there is precious little around here? Besides, give it 5 years, and theyll be retro-chic again.

A complex interaction between sterics and electronics…

Nov. 30, 2009, 6:49 p.m.

Or at least reel it back in public - ape shall not kill ape!!!!

:clap::clap:

Nov. 30, 2009, 8:52 p.m.

yeah I think it just bugged me. Not every trail needs a skinny but i guess if i lose sleep over it then I won't drool on the couch much.

It wasn't the skinny so much as the fact that there was a lot of green stuff around the skinny that ended up getting trampled and i actually replanted a lot of that stuff. Just a lot of stupid (to others) subtle kind of stuff that I like doing being a fern geek and all. Oh well, in a few years it'll regrow

How does this jag help? At least the builder took the time to actually make something. Not many people do that anymore, and maybe you, being a powerful force around here, should try to foster that creative urge. It worked for n and t…
Maybe it wansnt up to your standards (the shit looked and rode fine to me), but everyone gots to start somewhere, yeah? You didnt crap all over my head when I build my first structure (which was most definitely NOT up to snuff).
Look, I know that youre a vitriolic person, and thats fine, thats your thing, but the internet is full of negativity. You can do better. Or at least reel it back in public - ape shall not kill ape!!!!

Also, some people like skinnies. Even (I would say especially) beginners. What better way to teach rear-wheel awareness - of which there is precious little around here? Besides, give it 5 years, and theyll be retro-chic again.

Nov. 30, 2009, 9:08 p.m.

I liked that skinny but I won't miss it. That area is a full on ugly mess right now.

Nov. 30, 2009, 9:42 p.m.

Post of the year.

Nov. 30, 2009, 9:48 p.m.

:fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu:

Post of the year.

Dec. 1, 2009, 8:53 a.m.

:fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu:

Ahahahaha. :lol:

Dec. 1, 2009, 10:50 a.m.

If you're gonna build something on a high-profile trail, learn to do it properly first, or just don't bother.

Or should anyone with tools just go out and start throwing up crappy sketch woodwork wherever they like?

Dec. 1, 2009, 12:54 p.m.

Wasn't that log built during a trailday (NSMBA or otherwise)?

I remember there being a TD on lower Griffen and then immediately after talk of the new logride and everyone being stoked on it.

I agree it was not built to standards needed for such a high-profile spot on the mountain. Up in the middle of 7th Secret that would probably fly, but not where everone hikes.

I also agree that the amount of damage to surrounding vegetation was nuts. Thanks to Lee for his Greenthumb repairs.

-m

Dec. 1, 2009, 2:05 p.m.

The trail day was focused on the upper part of the trail well above the griffen switch backs. The work from the trail day was just off the fire road near the 1st fire road switch back.

Dec. 1, 2009, 5:39 p.m.

It wasn't the skinny so much as the fact that there was a lot of green stuff around the skinny that ended up getting trampled and i actually replanted a lot of that stuff. Just a lot of stupid (to others) subtle kind of stuff that I like doing being a fern geek and all. Oh well, in a few years it'll regrow

Thats a legit point, and not at all stupid. Youre like an angrier dogmatix…

A complex interaction between sterics and electronics…

Dec. 2, 2009, 7:44 p.m.

There is already a thread on this under trail conditions.
What I would suggest, Shredability, is you read that one, plus read the one about what happened recently to some structures built on Cypress. Also there is a thread somewhere that refers to the work done on Groovula (1st class craftsmanship), and why it got taken out. I ride Fromme all the time. When I saw that log converted into a skinny I went "oops, that won't be allowed for long" It was poor planning and poor execution on the builders part. These mountains are no longer a playground where you can build tree forts wherever you want. When I was a kid, the rules were a lot lot slacker, but the trail use has multiplied by twenty times since then. I don't know how old you, or the builders are, but I'm sure you get my meaning. You can't just go in there and do stuff and figure everyone will be cool with it. EVERYthing you do gets noticed now. Oftyen by the wrong people. The entrance to the skinny takes you off the main riding line and across a network of tree roots. This is a braid. This is bad. Plus, the dorp to falt is, in my 15 year old son's words "a bit sketch", which means it is basically wet clay that got pounded to shit so that it became a soupy mud bog. This, too, is bad. I rode in there this evening and I see that the muck is drying up, but it was horrible when the log ride was in operation. Good for you guys for trying to keep the spirit of innovation alive in the sport, but remember, everything you do in life, whether it is good or bad, will have consequences and you have to be accountable for them.

Team Crafty

Dec. 3, 2009, 10:35 a.m.

Everything you do in life, whether it is good or bad, will have consequences and you have to be accountable for them.

thanks for the new sig

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer