LOST - Garmin Bike Computer on Seymour

Feb. 2, 2020, 2:21 p.m.

This morning I lost a Garmin Edge 510 bike computer on lower Seymour - somewhere between Hyannis and the start of Penny Lane (climb trail before you hit GSM). If anyone came across it that would be amazing! Thanks in advance.

Feb. 2, 2020, 11:02 p.m.

That sucks. Will keep my eyes open.

How'd you lose it? I have never had mine come off except in a crash of some sort. Knock it off with your knee or something?

Last edited by: RAHrider on Feb. 2, 2020, 11:03 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 3, 2020, 6:39 a.m.

Could this be your GPS?

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=56499&pagenum=166

Feb. 3, 2020, 9:04 a.m.

Posted by: WeTYC...

Could this be your GPS?

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=56499&pagenum=166

Thanks! Seems like that's it. Much appreciated.

Feb. 3, 2020, 3:22 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

How'd you lose it? I have never had mine come off except in a crash of some sort. Knock it off with your knee or something?

I've knocked mine off a handful of times... mostly in a crash but also sometimes with my knee or if I am off my bike and trying to repair it or something and it is leaning against a tree. I have it mounted on my top tube, not on the handlebars, so it's relatively easy to knock off in certain situations. In the past I've been lucky enough to at least realize when I knock it off - I'm surprised it took me this long to legit lose it.

Feb. 3, 2020, 7:45 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

I've knocked mine off a handful of times... mostly in a crash but also sometimes with my knee or if I am off my bike and trying to repair it or something and it is leaning against a tree. I have it mounted on my top tube, not on the handlebars, so it's relatively easy to knock off in certain situations. In the past I've been lucky enough to at least realize when I knock it off - I'm surprised it took me this long to legit lose it.

I tried running it on the top tube. My leg would brush it all the time and knock it off. It lasted about 15 mins into the ride there before I moved it back to the bar.

Feb. 3, 2020, 8:01 p.m.

Happy to play a tiny role in getting it back.  I really felt for you because my 510 was collecting a ton of data for me on Sunday (6 hour ride covering 37km ) and losing it would have been devastating (I was trying to map all of a network that's due to be logged in the next few weeks and I'm not going to get another chance)

My tip:  I use the leash that came in the box.  I have a couple different mounting options depending on which bike I'm riding.  On my big bike for the most technical trails, it goes in my pocket.  On my mildly-techy hard-tail, it goes on the top tube.  Sunday I was riding easy trails with minimal crash potential, so it went on the o-ring mount on the handlebar.  If it's on the bike, I wrap the leash around whatever (bars, top tube) and then pass the 510 through the loop.  That way, if it somehow gets knocked off the mount, I'll hopefully notice it flolloping before it disappears into the muck.

Feb. 4, 2020, 9:23 a.m.

I tried running it on the top tube. My leg would brush it all the time and knock it off. It lasted about 15 mins into the ride there before I moved it back to the bar.

Yeah I should probably do the same. The other problem with it on the top tube is that it's not in your line of sight so if you knock it off accidentally then you won't necessarily notice right away. 

I used to mount it right on the top of the steerer tube (using a k-edge mount) but I actually crashed and snapped off the tabs on the back. I think the issue was that the mount is essentially too tight/solid so if you get in a crash there isn't enough give so it's easy to snap the tabs.

Feb. 4, 2020, 9:24 a.m.

Posted by: WeTYC...

Happy to play a tiny role in getting it back.  I really felt for you because my 510 was collecting a ton of data for me on Sunday (6 hour ride covering 37km ) and losing it would have been devastating (I was trying to map all of a network that's due to be logged in the next few weeks and I'm not going to get another chance)

My tip:  I use the leash that came in the box.  I have a couple different mounting options depending on which bike I'm riding.  On my big bike for the most technical trails, it goes in my pocket.  On my mildly-techy hard-tail, it goes on the top tube.  Sunday I was riding easy trails with minimal crash potential, so it went on the o-ring mount on the handlebar.  If it's on the bike, I wrap the leash around whatever (bars, top tube) and then pass the 510 through the loop.  That way, if it somehow gets knocked off the mount, I'll hopefully notice it flolloping before it disappears into the muck.

Thanks for the tips... and thanks again for helping me track it down!

Feb. 4, 2020, 8:47 p.m.

Leash is a good idea. Will have to pull mine out. The o ring handlebar mount seems solid enough to keep it in place during regular activity but drop the computer out of the way when it gets hit. I put the rigid mount on my road bike where it is unlikely to be involved in a crash. 

Glad you are getting your computer back. It's amazing that in a city the size of Vancouver the bike community is tight enough that a lost piece of expensive gear finds its way back to its owner.

Feb. 4, 2020, 10:13 p.m.

Just leave it in your pocket our your backpack.  It'll still pick up the GPS signals.

Feb. 4, 2020, 10:24 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Just leave it in your pocket our your backpack.  It'll still pick up the GPS signals.

One drawback of leaving it in the pocket is that the "stop logging" button on the bottom is stupidly easy to accidentally press.  They really should require a 2-second hold down or something to stop the log.  I've done a couple rides where I finished, went to stop the log, and discovered it actually stopped logging almost immediately after it went into the pocket/pack.