Looking for some input.

Feb. 22, 2018, 9:10 a.m.

I'm going to test ride a Sentinel and Vanquish on Saturday. My new-bike-justifier needs more data!

Feb. 24, 2018, 4:28 a.m.

Posted by: craw

I'm going to test ride a Sentinel and Vanquish on Saturday. My new-bike-justifier needs more data!

I just saw a video on how Chromag makes a bike on the Other Site ... I now want to testride a Primer and a new gen Stylus.

Feb. 25, 2018, 8:27 a.m.

Never should have clicked on that video. Primer is permeating my dreams now.

I'm so weak.

Feb. 26, 2018, 1:52 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

Posted by: craw

I just saw a video on how Chromag makes a bike on the Other Site ... I now want to testride a Primer and a new gen Stylus.

I test rode a Rootdown BA last year, which only served to continue my ongoing hardtail angst. It was super fun and incredibly capable. I think the geo of the Vanquish suits me better but I'm not really sure. Plus I'm curious to try it a carbon HT. I figure that'll give me all the data I need.

March 22, 2018, 5:51 p.m.

I did. I tried the Sentinel because it represents the new normal geo as far as ESTA, reach, CS length and head tube, all of which I suspected were a bit lacking. And they were. I was hoping for fit improvements and I didn't experience enough to make it worth buying a new bike. The low stack meant that the seemingly long reach kind of disappeared once you put 2cm of spacers under the stem. It's another XL that's really meant as a secondary option for someone who might otherwise buy a L, not as a bike, you know, for an XL person.

The slack HA had the fork laid out way in front of the bars but it climbed well. I thought overall the bike was kind of sloppy and vague. But also sort of fun and noncommittal to ride (think PBR, a bit stoned, flannel shirt and cut-off jean shorts). Totally the opposite of the Wreckoning, which is aggressive and precise (think Strava, cocaine, popped collars and Crossfit). The Sentinel was an interesting bike to ride but definitely not one I would buy.

That being said I really enjoyed the Vanquish. With bigger tires and a 150mm fork this is bike I'd happily ride all the time.

Last edited by: craw on March 22, 2018, 7:20 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 22, 2018, 11:04 p.m.

Styrofoam or Waiting Room?

March 23, 2018, 2:42 a.m.

I almost spilled my coffee.

March 23, 2018, 10:13 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

so uh, kinda Mudhoney vs Fugazi then?  i'm dying to try the Sentinel, but think i may have it figured out in my head anyways. what's the Vanquish like? super light i gather. scalpel like? does it inspire confidence on the downs if it's rough?

More like drunk AC/DC versus Meshuggah. 

The Vanquish is a bit of a scalpel but it's slack enough to be fun to ride.  By the numbers it's not that far off from the Rootdown BA (which I really liked) so I thought it would be a good comparison.