Looking for some ideas for our Vaca in September

July 6, 2014, 7:39 p.m.

Some may recall a couple years back I posted a similar thread for ideas for our Vaca in your neck of the woods. I want to re-thank all those that responded and helped. We had a great trip (well my friends did I broke my shoulder) which involved Bellingham, some days in Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, the NS, and a Tyax trip. This year we want to do something similar (w/o the shoulder breaking) but replace the Tyax trip with maybe a trip to the islands. So I was hoping you guys could chime in with some ideas.

Here's what it looks like right now…
6 dudes, 1 RV, 6x6 AM/Enduro/yada yada bikes. Flying into Seattle 9/11 returning on the red eye 9/20.

We're thinking instead of setting and tearing down camp everyday we make base camp in Squamish and do day trips from there with possibly spending 2 or 3 days on the islands.

Day1 is Bellingham (that worked out very nicely last year) unless others have a recommendation that is close to the Seattle and camping.

Day2 is where I'm stuck. I kinda want to go do an island trip but I'm not sure about the logistics. Can we bring the RV on the ferries? Where is the best place to go for an "epic" all day backcountry style ride for 2 or 3 days? Is there camping or do we need to look into hotels? Can we island hop? Which island is that new bike park on? Wouldn't mind hitting that up.

Or do we make our base camp in Squamish and do our Island trip on the back end of things?

Let me know what you think. Thanks for your time.

Cheers!

July 6, 2014, 10:27 p.m.

Yes RVs on ferries. New bike park is not on an island it's by Sechelt on the sunshine coast which is mainland only accessible by ferry, and sunshine coast is awesome lots of riding outside the park, you could do 2-3 days of riding around there. If you really want to be on an island head to Duncan or comox valley or Campbell river on Vancouver island, or ride a couple boats to hornby island

All those places are awesome, my vote would go to sunshine coast because the new bike park is awesome, less driving and cheaper ferry, easier to make the most of a couple days.

July 6, 2014, 11:18 p.m.

I'd spend a couple of days on the Sunshine Coast over the Island. Nothing against the Island riding, the Sunshine Coast riding options are more compact, it's a shorter (and cheaper) ferry ride, it links up nicely to get to from the North Shore (ferry from Horseshoe Bay), easy to get to Squamish.

I'd do in an order something like this…
- Bellingham
- North Shore
- Sunshine Coast
- Squamish

If you're looking for something epic and have some budget, consider a helicopter drop onto Rainbow mtn from Whistler. Blackcomb Aviation can hook you up. You will want a guide. Other epic ride in Whistler is Comfortbly Numb.

Check out
trailforks.com
for trails, great resource.

July 7, 2014, 4:26 a.m.

sunshine coast for the win. it checks ALL the boxes. Epics to a bike park. not to mention miles of beaches and scenery.

July 7, 2014, 7:03 a.m.

Thanks guys! Definitely going to check out the Sunshine Coast. Helo trip sounds cool too.

Cheers!

July 7, 2014, 9:28 a.m.

There are map apps for all these places too.
Trailmapps.com for the Sunshine Coast and Squamish.
This is the one for the Shore

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 7, 2014, 10:16 a.m.

You can also take the circle route and go to the Coast for a few days then take the Powell River ferry to COMOX and spend some time on the Island then back to Van from Nanaimo.

July 7, 2014, 10:28 a.m.

I also recommend those trailmapps.com apps.

I'm riding the Forbidden and Cumberland trails next month on the island. You can find a few details here. I'm still looking for maps for those areas.
http://islandmountainrides.com/pricing/

July 7, 2014, 8:53 p.m.

I also recommend those trailmapps.com apps.

I'm riding the Forbidden and Cumberland trails next month on the island. You can find a few details here. I'm still looking for maps for those areas.
http://islandmountainrides.com/pricing/

Maps and free guides are always available :)

http://cvmtb.com/index.php/trails-maps/maps/

July 8, 2014, 10:11 a.m.

Maps and free guides are always available :)

http://cvmtb.com/index.php/trails-maps/maps/

Excellent. Thanks! Those trails look great. I'll pop into one of the local bike stores when I'm over there and pick up trail maps for Cumberland and Forbidden. Should be a great 2 days!

July 10, 2014, 5:49 p.m.

Excellent. Thanks! Those trails look great. I'll pop into one of the local bike stores when I'm over there and pick up trail maps for Cumberland and Forbidden. Should be a great 2 days!

Send me a msg. Might be available then.

July 13, 2014, 6:50 p.m.

After discussing with the guys we decided 3 days at Sunshine Coast and the rest of the rides will be based out of Squamish. Looks like we'll hit that new Bike Park on 1 of the SC days. What would you recommend for the other 2 days? I've looked at the maps but it doesn't really help figure out which would be best to hit. We'd be looking for pretty big rides on both days. I'm thinking around 20 miles and 4 to 5 hours each day.

I also got the info for the Helo/Rainbow Mountain trip. BearBack says it's about a 20km ride and about 2 to 3 hours of actual riding, which seems on the light side. Have any of you done the trip? Was it worth it? Just trying to get a feel. Would hate to be let down.

Thanks!

July 13, 2014, 10:34 p.m.

Do 1 day around Robert's creek+ sprockids, the trails that connect from Robert's creek area down to langdale are awesome, plus adding on some laps around mach chicken and whatnot, then some fuzzy hugs schools out at the end. Then get lost in west sechelt or halfmoon bay for day 2 haha.