Looking for feedback......

Jan. 23, 2020, 11:19 a.m.

Couldn't think of a good title.

Looking for any input from parents that have been in this situation. I have a young teenager(13 yrs)that's currently riding a Norco Fluid 130/120mm front/rear, SZ medium frame, he's about to out grow that frame.

I just bought a new bike and I'm debating whether to sell my Norco Range 29 XL or keep it for my son. My son so far, is a conservative rider, and I think the Range would be overkill for his riding.

So my options are;

1) Keep the Range and get a L frame so he can transition from medium to XL without have to by him 2 bike(Large then XL)

2) Sell the Range and get a more appropriate bike for him in a large then XL when he out grows the large frame.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by: Ouch on Jan. 23, 2020, 11:21 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 23, 2020, 4:34 p.m.

How tall is he?

Jan. 23, 2020, 4:35 p.m.

Thirteen? How big is this kid?

Jan. 23, 2020, 7:34 p.m.

5'8" with sz 11.5 feet. He's got puppy dog feet and is going to quickly grow into them. I'm 6'2" and I suspect he'll be taller than me.

Last edited by: Ouch on Jan. 23, 2020, 7:37 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 24, 2020, 10:25 p.m.

My son was a cautious rider at 13 and 6 months later he’s launching off of the new Dirt and Filthy Ape and cleaning 5th and Boogieman. 

Once the kids start riding with their friends, the gloves are off. They also go to bed one day and wake up better riders somehow. 

I’d get him the proper size Enduro with a bit of growth room. Perhaps try him on the bigger Bike to start and see how it goes. 

Don’t get locked into today because he will change really really fast.

Jan. 25, 2020, 6:56 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

My son was a cautious rider at 13 and 6 months later he’s launching off of the new Dirt and Filthy Ape and cleaning 5th and Boogieman. 

Once the kids start riding with their friends, the gloves are off. They also go to bed one day and wake up better riders somehow. 

I’d get him the proper size Enduro with a bit of growth room. Perhaps try him on the bigger Bike to start and see how it goes. 

Don’t get locked into today because he will change really really fast.

Very helpful! Thanks

Jan. 25, 2020, 9:33 a.m.

You’re entering a really fun time to ride with him, or at least that age was for me. 

If he gets the miles and exposure to lots of different riders, you’ll see progression that will blow your mind. Ride with lots of different people who have different styles/comfort zones than yourself. Let him see things that others do that might not necessarily your choices. 

If your experience is like mine, you’ll be coming to a decision point sooner than you think where you might separate on a ride because he wants to head off and do something that you don’t, or he will be asking you if he can try something that you might think is too sketchy, and you’ll have to grin and bare him pushing the limits. At times it was a hot button for my son and I - I’d say no, that’s too crazy and he would get angry because I was “holding him back”.  It happened to me at the Park all the time where he wanted Massive air and steep rolls - things that violate my own policy of no longer doing stupid stuff because I’m just a walking collection of injuries that I’ll never heal from now. Initially it was scary and uncomfortable letting him do his thing either with me on the sidelines or meeting him lower down. 

I suspect that the same process happens for all dads who ride a lot with their kids. Enjoy this time with him. Not a lot of dads can ride with their teenage kids who are serious about riding - you’re one one the lucky ones!!!! Time on the trails with your kid is the best of all.

Jan. 25, 2020, 9:51 a.m.

Used market? The easy answer if you're in somewhere like Van. Sell the Range, buy something used for him, sell that at a small loss when he outgrows it. 5'8" is up there in common frame size territory.

Get him a big bike! So fun to watch intermediate riders blow their minds when they get on their first long travel bike with big brakes and beefy tires.

I concur with Ddean's young rider potential curve. I watched my nephew go from 13 year old timid novice learning to wheelie to 14 confidently hucking the big video stunts on Fromme.

Jan. 25, 2020, 3:42 p.m.

That would be interesting to witness, if he becomes like that with his riding. I'm glad he likes Mtbing, it's great we can spend that time together.

The Range is an Enduro,  but you think I should sell and get something different?

Jan. 25, 2020, 6:03 p.m.

I’m 5’8” and had a medium Range 29 for a couple years. The sizing was spot-on. I think the XL would be a big jump in sizing unless he grows a lot very quickly.

Jan. 25, 2020, 6:06 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

I’m 5’8” and had a medium Range 29 for a couple years. The sizing was spot-on. I think the XL would be a big jump in sizing unless he grows a lot very quickly.

I'd get a large frame and switch everything over.