Look at this forum

Dec. 22, 2016, 9:12 a.m.

Look at the top five threads in this forum.

They are all crap. All negative muck-raking, polluted by one specific zealot who came here with the sole purpose of undermining NSMB and disrupting our ability to function as an effective community of people.

Ban this person, everyone put him on "ignore". Do something.

Look at the forum. Just look at it. You have to be daft to not realize what is happening. This garbage is literally driving people away. This person set out to drag you all down. The solution is simple. Nice idea to have some fancy forum rules and blah blah blah. The solution is simple, not complex. Ban the agent provocateur and we all get on with actual biking stuff.

Dec. 22, 2016, 9:27 a.m.

Yup. I think Cam wants the clicks though.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Dec. 22, 2016, 10:13 a.m.

After reading that stupid e-bike article this morning comparing electric mountain bikes to sexually assaulting women, I wish Cam the best of luck with this forum in the future. You just lost a couple more clicks from me bud

Dec. 22, 2016, 10:21 a.m.

and

I like a lot of the thrust here but there's one problem. Facebook for the most part involves discussions with people using their real identities, and it can be every bit as toxic. Often more so.

I agree that transparency would help, but I think much of the problem we are talking about is a result of the medium rather than the level of anonymity.

Has anyone seen the comments below a CBC article regarding some polarizing political issue? You'd think CBC listeners would be like minded, but the vitriol and ignorance is mind-boggling. Maybe they are paid to be shit disturbers?

Anyone that argues vague edge conditions as a rationale for taking no action, which, in itself, is his business decision, has decided there is no value for any action for his business which lends credibility to the top reference.

Like I said in my other post "Forum Changes"… maybe this place is not the place for real in depth conversation.

User moderating anon posts still is not a solution since the stuff is posted. Accountability starts at the top in this case. It cannot be sustained in a real manner from below since by then the vitriol has already been posted… so what if an anon account gets banned, the cycle starts over with another anon account.

Yet there are many which have decency with their participation within their anon accounts. So it is a balancing act.

Yet from what I have seen, sure does not seem like it is balanced. It seems like the decent anon accounts love being baited… like their own responses to the stuff is actually making a difference in a crazy OP's mind. Anon accounts that participate in feeding the trolls are as much of an issue here than the original perp IMO.

Anyways, Happy New Year!!!

Talk less, Say More.

Dec. 22, 2016, 10:55 a.m.

Scrooge was banned. Some people complaining how boring it had gotten here, and maybe the lack of clicks, ended up with him being unbanned.

Internet forums are more about entertainment than anything else these days.

Dec. 22, 2016, 11:03 a.m.

I couldn't give a shit about clicks on this forum - and I certainly wouldn't compromise other issues for clicks. That is fucking insulting and counter to the way I have run this place from the beginning.

Does anyone remember the very first rule? No trail directions to unsanctioned trails. That's a great clicks strategy.

What lame ass bullshit. :rolleyes:

Dec. 22, 2016, 11:21 a.m.

I couldn't give a shit about clicks on this forum - and I certainly wouldn't compromise other issues for clicks. That is fucking insulting and counter to the way I have run this place from the beginning.

Does anyone remember the very first rule? No trail directions to unsanctioned trails. That's a great clicks strategy.

What lame ass bullshit. :rolleyes:

Presumably you are somewhat financially invested in NSMB. You run ads, you take money from local shops to post advertised threads. You have a web store. Traffic must help, no?

It must be helpful to report high numbers to advertisers?

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Dec. 22, 2016, 11:34 a.m.

Scrooge was banned. Some people complaining how boring it had gotten here, and maybe the lack of clicks, ended up with him being unbanned.

Internet forums are more about entertainment than anything else these days.

Really? How do you know this? Crazy if true.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Dec. 22, 2016, 11:38 a.m.

Presumably you are somewhat financially invested in NSMB. You run ads, you take money from local shops to post advertised threads. You have a web store. Traffic must help, no?

It must be helpful to report high numbers to advertisers?

We are talking about pennies. The numbers we worry about are for the main page content. I don't even look at traffic numbers for the forum. That's how relevant they are.

Dec. 22, 2016, 11:51 a.m.

The forum is really a gift from NSMB. The velonews forum became so toxic from the lance Armstrong fanboys arguing for his sainthood that velonews shut down completely. No forum there anymore and it does not seem to have mattered. NSMB does not need the forum at all. Be good people and it won't go away. Don't. Like Uncle Scrooge? Don't get involved with his bullshit. No one is forcing you to clamp onto Hazen's bait.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 22, 2016, 11:59 a.m.

Who was arguing for no action? You are putting words in my mouth Gord. That's not like you. I was simply commenting on the nature of accountability and internet hostility.

New things are already well under way. A new forum solution with improved functionality and user focussed moderation will be part of that solution.

and

Anyone that argues vague edge conditions as a rationale for taking no action, which, in itself, is his business decision, has decided there is no value for any action for his business which lends credibility to the top reference.

Like I said in my other post "Forum Changes"… maybe this place is not the place for real in depth conversation.

User moderating anon posts still is not a solution since the stuff is posted. Accountability starts at the top in this case. It cannot be sustained in a real manner from below since by then the vitriol has already been posted… so what if an anon account gets banned, the cycle starts over with another anon account.

Yet there are many which have decency with their participation within their anon accounts. So it is a balancing act.

Yet from what I have seen, sure does not seem like it is balanced. It seems like the decent anon accounts love being baited… like their own responses to the stuff is actually making a difference in a crazy OP's mind. Anon accounts that participate in feeding the trolls are as much of an issue here than the original perp IMO.

Anyways, Happy New Year!!!

Dec. 22, 2016, 12:13 p.m.

Angry Cam rules.

Most of the stuff written on here (apart from the random political stuff that's popped up since the CMHC thing) is still 10x better than the uninformed, regurgitated marketing shite on Pinkbike etc. Especially in the Gear and NBR sub forums.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Dec. 22, 2016, 12:29 p.m.

Really? How do you know this? Crazy if true.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=164593

Dec. 22, 2016, 12:43 p.m.

New things are already well under way. A new forum solution with improved functionality and user focussed moderation will be part of that solution.

That’s fantastic news, Cam! I don’t suppose you guys are thinking about implementing Discourse or something similar?

I personally find your approach as the owner of this site refreshing. It would be easy to kick all the assholes out of your sandbox, but no matter how frustrating and stupid, diversity of thought is more important.

Merry Christmas :-)

Dec. 22, 2016, 12:50 p.m.

we're not asking for the moon here Cam, just a little more oversight of what happens on the boards.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer