Long falls to head

June 8, 2005, 7:11 p.m.

Yeah I overshot a pretty big dirtjump to head/shoulder. I probably fell a good 10-15 ft. Either way, it hurt a whole lot, and I'm glad it was my shoulderblade that broke, not my head.

I hate gnarwhale.com a lot.

bike mag sucks, so do one footers

i think your just jealous

June 8, 2005, 8:35 p.m.

10 feet to face from a mega nose case on some larger djs. Spine hyper flexed/hyper extended and it still hurts. This was a week ago. Thank god for full faces.

~NSP~
Hardtail Pride
Join the NSMBA to support your trails!

June 8, 2005, 9:42 p.m.

two low-grade concussions - the first onto concrete at bc place. me thinking i could go at high speed down stairs :lol: and leaned too far forward. put a nice crack in my helmet and drove home :S

second up at vedder, 2 foot drop, landed nose heavy on wet leaves, over the bars and thought i broke my shoulder - thankfully i was wrong, hurt kinda bad though. drove home again too…didn't really have much of a choice.

June 8, 2005, 9:51 p.m.

Years ago jumping a rigid 21 speed mountain bike on a wooden BMX style launch ramp. Landed nose heavy with my hand firmly gripped on the front brake, bucked over the front, i landed 7 feet down on my head and shoulder. Realized a broken collar bone by the crunching in my shoulder when i went to push myself up. That was an interesting sensation.

June 8, 2005, 10:59 p.m.

haha i did it up sweet like bender once… new stunt on a trail here in sooke.. had a 12 foot drop to the top of the tranny but the tranny was seemingly endless and wya to close… well anyway here i go. coast in on it step up onto the ramp platform.. coast out on it.. dont hit my breaks soar off … and there i see the tranny passing by underneath me as im still a good 10 feet in the air coming in pretty much nose heavy.. anywyas end result.. i bounce in one fluid motion into a hole at the side of the tranny face first. broken nose craked jaw and a concusion… we bit a blood and i sheered my visor off but all n all not bad for 25'to face first into a hole/pile of rocks

June 8, 2005, 11:56 p.m.

Vanishing trannies suck.

I've dodged several bullets over the last few years. Once I got cut off by a car - luckily I had just swapped my clipless pedals for flats, as I basically catapulted from the bike. I was about 6ft up and watching the road surface get larger as I was in a diving position. I somehow pulled my weight forward in a split-second and wound up landing on my back. That was good since I had my Ortleib messenger bag on at the time. I had a deep bruise on my hip, but was otherwise unscathed.
Last year, I cased a jump at a local park and was looking to take a header on that one as well, but I reeled myself in again and only had to dust myself off. There was pride-damage from that one since it was my error and people were watching. That would have equated to 10ft at speed.
Actually, Sean (seand) might be able to help me on this one. He was front row when I crashed on the treedrop at SST. I was too busy crashing to pay attention to what hit first, but I know I hit my head at some point in that sequence. That was a solid 8ft drop and carrying some speed.
To say I feel lucky, fortunate and blessed all in one would be a massive understatement.
Being a skilled rider involves much more than being able to shred - there is alot to be said about a rider than can crash well to boot.:)

South Sea-Tac Flowpark Gallery
KEEP IT GREEN!
This signature is brought to you by the letter "H" and by the number "6"

June 9, 2005, 12:08 a.m.

around 40 feet to the back of my head.. broke my new giro mad max in half =/

superheros
I like bikes

June 9, 2005, 5:22 a.m.

This didn't happen to me but to a friend of mine. last year in Fernie, on Kodiak Carnage, right at the beginning my buddy lost it and fell about 6 feet landing perpindicular to the ground. He was in a Halo for 4 months.

Life Part 2

June 9, 2005, 6:32 a.m.

Flew about 15ft to bottom of tranny on a jump, rotated so that my back took some of the impact (i.e. not just my head). Cracked 661 fullface (if I'd been wearing a pisspot = flat head), major bruising and pulled muscles down back - could only walk like 1mph (this old guy thought I was taking the piss out of him when I hobbled past later).
Makes you think - if I hadn't landed straight (it's all about sighting your landing!) I probably wouldn't be here. Actually I probably would be here (sitting in front of a computer).

:wales: :england: :scotland:

June 9, 2005, 10:20 p.m.

ive seen my little brother take 13ft straight down onto his head. being able to crash well is probably the best skill youll ever have. its all about the shoulder impact to save you in desperate times.

June 10, 2005, 2:18 a.m.

Wow some horror stories there !

Mine would be about 10ft to my face with an XC helmet but into soft loamy stuff.
I didn't have a slightest graze on my face but I ripped my bottom lip off my gum.
The nurse was pulling bits of twig out from under my chin bone on the inside of my mouth ?!

That felt quite strange…

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

June 10, 2005, 4:50 a.m.

People keep asking me…"why don't you do the big jumps, Ian?" "Why just B line or anything marked in Blue, Ian?" "What's the big deal with X-C anyway?" "Canmore Nordic Centre? All you do is CLIMB there!"

Thank you, my esteemed brethren and sestren….you've given me all the answers I'll ever need.

From the point of ignition
To the final drive
The point of the journey
Is not to arrive

Anything can happen…

June 10, 2005, 9:07 a.m.

There nothing wrong with avoiding big shit to prevent an injury. The thrill aint worth the risk

June 10, 2005, 9:36 a.m.

^W3rd. It's always best to walk your bike around than to be airlifted out.

June 10, 2005, 9:48 a.m.

^W3rd. It's always best to walk your bike around than to be airlifted out.

and miss out on a free ride in a helicopter?

I'm quitting organized crime; from now on I'll stick to the regular kind.