Live tree cut out on Good Sir Martin

Aug. 24, 2015, 10:43 a.m.

Oh but post #69 was supposed to be mine, you should have called me, emailed me, begged for my permission, and then, maybe after I went to the internet to debate my emo I-don't-know feelings about almost feeling vandalized, maybe then you could have posted #69.

^ this is the Shore

That is some funny stuff!

Aug. 24, 2015, 9:03 p.m.

Oh but post #69 was supposed to be mine, you should have called me, emailed me, begged for my permission, and then, maybe after I went to the internet to debate my emo I-don't-know feelings about almost feeling vandalized, maybe then you could have posted #69.

^ this is the Shore

Post #69 is all about sharing….

Aug. 24, 2015, 9:59 p.m.

Post #69 is all about sharing….

true. Same could be said about public property….

Aug. 24, 2015, 10:34 p.m.

i'm gonna start taking shits in the middle of all the trails. public property and all.

PS. yes riding north van trails is just like participating in this shitshow of a thread. best stay away.

Aug. 24, 2015, 10:48 p.m.

i'm gonna start taking shits in the middle of all the trails. public property and all.

PS. yes riding north van trails is just like participating in this shitshow of a thread. best stay away.

NSMB delivers again. Yup, people will throw down mad respect for such class.

Aug. 25, 2015, 7:36 a.m.

I got karmaic retribution for my 'drama!' comment, some asshat took it upon themselves to bermify a short hidden gem close to home…it was little used, fall line, natural, off-camber with some flat mossy corners to roost…now stupified and opened up for the masses to notice and skid into eroded oblivion.

Aug. 25, 2015, 9:49 a.m.

FWIW I rode GSM last night, 2nd time so far. Good or bad I did not notice the point at which the tree was cut.

I did once again notice, despite having legs of lead and lungs without air, what a great climbing trail GSM is. Not certain if the sign for the rock roll was in place the first time I rode the trail or it is new, but pretty cool to have the little features named. Big shout out to the builders of GSM. Hopefully all settles down with the cut tree and we can simply enjoy the trail for what it is; a wonderfully routed and fantastically built bit of fun, that has a significant amount of suffering (at least for me).

Quick question. How much longer of a ride (time or distance) is it starting at Old Buck and taking the Old Buck to Bridle/Cardiac Bypass/Academy/RT/RTC/Lower C Buster, Penny Lane, GSM and finally arrive at Baden Powell vs climbing up Old Buck to Baden Powell, then across to where GSM meets Baden.

The first route is much more fun as compared to straight up Old Buck, but seemed to take me a lot longer and definitely had the legs feeling it (and I didn't even do a loop around Applicator or end of C-Buster and back up with R[HTML_REMOVED]R).

Aug. 25, 2015, 10:17 a.m.

FWIW I rode GSM last night, 2nd time so far. Good or bad I did not notice the point at which the tree was cut.

I did once again notice, despite having legs of lead and lungs without air, what a great climbing trail GSM is. Not certain if the sign for the rock roll was in place the first time I rode the trail or it is new, but pretty cool to have the little features named. Big shout out to the builders of GSM. Hopefully all settles down with the cut tree and we can simply enjoy the trail for what it is; a wonderfully routed and fantastically built bit of fun, that has a significant amount of suffering (at least for me).

Thanks! Glad you enjoy the trail :-)

Quick question. How much longer of a ride (time or distance) is it starting at Old Buck and taking the Old Buck to Bridle/Cardiac Bypass/Academy/RT/RTC/Lower C Buster, Penny Lane, GSM and finally arrive at Baden Powell vs climbing up Old Buck to Baden Powell, then across to where GSM meets Baden.

The first route is much more fun as compared to straight up Old Buck, but seemed to take me a lot longer and definitely had the legs feeling it (and I didn't even do a loop around Applicator or end of C-Buster and back up with R[HTML_REMOVED]R).

Ok, so being a bit of a geek, I plugged both routes into the Trailforks route planner…

From the Old Buck parking lot across Bridle, up Academy/RT/RTC/ etc… is just shy of 5 km; the traditional climb up Old Buck is a touch over 2.8 km (measured to the point where Good Sir meets BP).

Aug. 25, 2015, 12:12 p.m.

I got karmaic retribution for my 'drama!' comment, some asshat took it upon themselves to bermify a short hidden gem close to home…it was little used, fall line, natural, off-camber with some flat mossy corners to roost…now stupified and opened up for the masses to notice and skid into eroded oblivion.

Wasn't me. I saw that too.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 26, 2015, 3:19 p.m.

when people have put in their own time to create something that others will benefit from, then the decision making should fall to the builder.

For sure there are many riders who don't know the builders, and don't know that they should generally leave the trail as is, so can't be blamed for whatever "improvement" they might do to a trail.
Not everyone knows about nsmb, trailforks, even the nsmba.

Aug. 26, 2015, 5:15 p.m.

For sure there are many riders who don't know the builders, and don't know that they should generally leave the trail as is, so can't be blamed for whatever "improvement" they might do to a trail.
Not everyone knows about nsmb, trailforks, even the nsmba.

a basic search on google using terms like mountain biking and north vancouver will yield the nsmba, trail forks, north shore ride and others on the first page.

in less than 10 seconds you can come up with the info you need to contact the right people to learn how get involved.

it's a safe bet that the people that cut the tree out had good intentions. i encourage people to get involved and can't really fault them for having that enthusiasm. however, i also encourage people to take steps to make sure they're doing the right things, including contacting the local trail association to find out how they can get involved.

apparently there's two trains of thought on this topic. one is that before going out and doing anything more than minor trail work like clearing mud holes or pushing dead fall off the trail, you make the effort to find out who's in charge before altering the trails. the second line of thought is that nobody has any expectation or right to be asked if it's okay for someone to do work on a trail they built or are currently working on and that it's essentially a free for all - you can build and change whatever you want.

now within the DNV, you are required to have a trail permit to do any work on a trail. however, as there are many land managers and some undefined/irregular boundaries on the north shore, it can be difficult at times to say with legal certainty that you need to contact the builders or other authorities before doing any work on a specific trail.

putting all the legalities and technicalities aside though, it seems to me that the decent and respectful thing to do would be to ask around before going ahead and doing any work. because this is basically an ethics issue in some circumstances (as the trail in question), there is no right or wrong answer. the only thing to guide us here is whether you believe a trail builder is worthy of the respect of some sort of contact before doing work on a trail they've created/ maintain or not. i firmly believe trail builders are worthy of that respect.

the only question people need to ask themselves is whether they feel that trail builders are worthy of the respect of some sort of contact or not.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 27, 2015, 8:09 a.m.

Ya, but trails aren't any fun if they aren't smooth, 5 feet wide and full of berms! Moss? Natural? 2008 called, they want their trail back. ;)

Aug. 28, 2015, 7:10 p.m.

Ya, but trails aren't any fun if they aren't smooth, 5 feet wide and full of berms! Moss? Natural? 2008 called, they want their trail back. ;)

AMEN

Aug. 29, 2015, 12:18 a.m.

just checking in to see where the builders giving the last word to the NSMB bros are?

Aug. 29, 2015, 12:22 a.m.

builderschoice