Live tree cut out on Good Sir Martin

Aug. 21, 2015, 8:30 p.m.

Builders do have the last word, as they should. See Tom's post above for an example.

Also really funny to compare people spending their own time and money building trails to a dictator. I guess some kind of benevolent dictator who spends hundreds and hundreds of hours giving gifts to the community?

Builders have always had the last word, and always will. If you don't like that, don't ride the trail, or build your own. If it wasn't a live tree we are talking about you can bet people would have already gone up to put things back how they were and make sure they stay that way.

I think all the builders want is some respect. Sounds like the entitled crew here thinks that is too much to ask for. Guess it's just like those people who feel entitled to strava every trail they ride and destroy loamers in the wet. Me, me me!

NSMB - meet your poster child for 'gaining your respect'. The masses await your last word, always will.

Aug. 21, 2015, 8:47 p.m.

Just curious if the builder took the time to grow the tree that way or if it just happened? Just curious

Aug. 21, 2015, 10:36 p.m.

So let me get this straight. A bent over treeling (it is not big enough to be a tree) is considered a feature that is cut out that NO ONE has to overcome, but everything is being done one such trees on DOWN trails that might be a feature is cut out? They pave all the trails removing any feature, undulation, or "interruption" but make a big fuss over something that you have to duck your head on with another UP trail (that is redundant and unnecessary on Seymour, I was unaware Old Buck and PB were unsatisfactory) and that is enough to rile riders? Call me old but this is beyond pathetic. What would today's mountain biking community think of the Chainsaw Massacre on Cypress in 1999?

And for all the trail builders out there: I applaud all work, in any form. But unless you personally own the land, it is a given someone is going to come along and do some work, contrary to your thinking. This is what a community is. If you don't like anyone doing any work on "your" trail, buy the land and make it private property and involve lawyers etc…… most trail builders need to know that the trail they make or work on is not "their baby" but public domain. I did not like what was done to Seventh, C+C, Espresso, Executioner, but since it was not my personal domain I could not do anything despite the ruination (IMO) of classic lines. Builders do not have the last word, nor should they. If they do, guess what that is: dictatorship.

More words of wisdom from the person who thinks that all new trails suck, and states that (the trail) Digger is in awesome shape and a perfect example of sustainable trail building :D

(Digger last night. Spot the trail…..)

treezz
wow you are a ass

Aug. 22, 2015, 10:13 a.m.

(cut your bars) was fun ….

yup..

Aug. 22, 2015, 3:13 p.m.

whoa whoa slow down. someone cut a tree down, probably an overzealous volunteer who thought they were helping out. it's not like they closed off an existing trail that's been around for 20+ years then paved over it with something new so that a wider range of mediocre riders could make it down the mountain.

a fucking tree. jesus.

Sadly, in my experience it's types like these who will haul a Husqvarna along the trail cutting out fallen trees that are currently natural features. Yet ignore other trail work like removing hung up blow down and such.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 22, 2015, 4:38 p.m.

As someone who grew up jumping around in the North Van woods…. I am wandering if this is real. Man. (cut your bars) was fun before they took half the forest away to expand the golf course….

Expand the golf course, I think you mean build the golf course. Lower Seymour and cut your bars were my initiation to mtn biking. Ugh… Feel old now.

GSM is a good reason why I keep coming back. I was always concerned about that tree, had no idea that it was intended to be a TTF.

Aug. 22, 2015, 11:39 p.m.

Remember when we were kids [HTML_REMOVED] we went to the beach….[HTML_REMOVED] we would build sandcastles? And we thought those sandcastles were the ultimate expression of our creative abilities….given the time spent, [HTML_REMOVED] the medium?
Remember running into the ocean for a swim, only to find that said sandcastle had been trampled by others, pissed on by a wandering retriever, or crushed by a rising tide?
Well…the forest is your beach. It's not your sand, it's not your ocean, it's not anything you can fully control.
Expect that sh!t will happen. Sometimes it's big sh!t (Chainsaw Massacre). Sometimes it's a turd (sapling snipping).

Aug. 22, 2015, 11:40 p.m.

Ahem….Post #69…WOOHOO!!!

Aug. 23, 2015, 4:28 p.m.

More words of wisdom from the person who thinks that all new trails suck, and states that (the trail) Digger is in awesome shape and a perfect example of sustainable trail building :D

Out to the right of the log at the far right of the picture, then back over the bottom of it and over the tree roots on the right side. That was the hardest part of the trail before, now it's even harder with all the looseness. :)

Want the gnar, go get some….

Aug. 23, 2015, 7:32 p.m.

[HTML_REMOVED]DRAMA![HTML_REMOVED]

[HTML_REMOVED]MASSDEBATE[HTML_REMOVED]

I'll just leave this here.

Aug. 23, 2015, 7:41 p.m.

Your not looking at the trail. The trail is too the right of the chunder fest created by people who do not know how to ride this trail. If you look to the right you will find a perfectly intact, perfect shape trail that is about two feet wide.
What you are looking at is an eight foot wide braid that has not been blocked off.
The trail is great shape.
Im sorry but if you think that is part of the trail then perhaps you should stick to trails that you know how to negotiate.
[HTML_REMOVED]iframe width='500' height='889' src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/embed/408964/?colors=C80000' allowfullscreen frameborder='0'[HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED]/iframe[HTML_REMOVED]
The second trail is Diggers top to bottom.

BTW Good sir Martin trail is awesome!

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

Aug. 23, 2015, 8:06 p.m.

What you are looking at is an eight foot wide braid that has not been blocked off.

That there is 95% fall line water erosion.

Aug. 23, 2015, 8:39 p.m.

^ = trail in crappy condition.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Aug. 23, 2015, 9:38 p.m.

Ahem….Post #69…WOOHOO!!!

Oh but post #69 was supposed to be mine, you should have called me, emailed me, begged for my permission, and then, maybe after I went to the internet to debate my emo I-don't-know feelings about almost feeling vandalized, maybe then you could have posted #69.

^ this is the Shore

Aug. 24, 2015, 8:38 a.m.

That there is 95% fall line water erosion.

That is a lot of braiding as well, remember, there used to be a skinny along the left of the trail that blocked the "braid option". The actual trail was more defined and limited when the skinny's were still there (not saying they didn't need to be cut out, that one was getting pretty sketchy).