listen to music while u ride ???

July 11, 2004, 8:18 p.m.

No.
1. I want to hear my bike
2. I want to hear people yelling at me from behind, particularly if it's somebody I know who has fallen
3. I want to hear nature (right…)
4. It would break in one weekend.

www.joemamma.ca
www.intensecycles.com

July 11, 2004, 8:54 p.m.

tried once, was awesome but i coudltn hear whats going on around me.

also when u crash, u d want the music to stop but it keeeps going and makes u feel sad:(:)

i would listen to music when commuting somewhere or climbing up, but not actually riding. i need to hear my clunking and clanking from my bike and rocks, and creeks, birds and other fellow riders.

oh hai!

July 11, 2004, 9:07 p.m.

i ride with out….. i like to hear whats going on with my bike !

July 12, 2004, 2:20 a.m.

I've only mtb'd with music once, and it was pretty sweet, but I'm a little scared of bailing and breaking my discman (or mp3 player). I think I'll do it more, maybe I'll wrap it in bubble wrap and stick it in my camelbak or something.
but I'll only use it when riding alone.

July 12, 2004, 2:37 a.m.

Don't do it IFO.
Just based on your posts in this thread alone….you'll be in for some pain if you plug your ears and mind with tunes.
Music will not replace what needs to go on in your mind while riding…it will only crowd it further if you're already occupied to the max.

I'd bet cash money that anyone ripping it up for real while listening to tunes….has the flow and skills dialled WAY before the music entered the picture..

Come to Kamloops/SunPeaks…it'll help with your speed and flow while not giving you the feeling of being on the deathly edge all the time. People progress here…it's the terra-ferma Burmuda triangle Man:cool:

July 12, 2004, 6:53 a.m.

Originally posted by pedalfile
i listen to my ipod a lot while im riding, i think its really good to keep you concentrated and riding fast, im just scared that im going to fall on it and smashify it.

yah, and they break really, really easily.

I have this:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10041687[HTML_REMOVED]newdeptid=19[HTML_REMOVED]logon=[HTML_REMOVED]langid=EN[HTML_REMOVED]dept=0[HTML_REMOVED]WLBS=fsweb5

it is (or was) as cheap as a good tape walkman or cd player, holds 30 tracks and is extremely light, small, and im not worried about smashing it.

i flow when i listen to the right music on the trail. you know how you all of a sudden have one of those "on" days where you stick everything, or run out of every almost wreck? well it seems to happen more often when i'm listening to the tunes.

July 12, 2004, 8:45 a.m.

Heres an Idea I had.

I got this pack for cheap, but it still retails cheap, around $25.
http://roachclothing.com/products/pack_detention.php

Its got 2 mesh pockets with elastic bands at the top that could for sure fit a set of nice travel speakers.

I wanna try rigging up something…

July 12, 2004, 9:29 a.m.

When I get myself an MP3 player, I'll have tunes for riding. I'll run my volume at about 2 or 3 when I ride, I don't run tunes when I'm with people though. At 2 or 3 I can hear everything just fine, people, cars, the bike, etc. Especially on urban, having tunes gets me pumped.

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=20017
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

July 12, 2004, 9:29 a.m.

I like all of my senses available to me while riding. We all know how dangerous this sport can be. Why take chances? Besides, if it comes down to depending on something besides yourself to ride with style and flow, then something's wrong.

f e r g s :canada:

July 12, 2004, 9:31 a.m.

Well, to that I must add that I like silence when riding in the forest. But music when on the streets.

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=20017
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

July 12, 2004, 10:56 a.m.

Heres what my friend does. He put a waterbottle holder on his bike and bought a cheap water bottle.he put his mp3 player in the water bottle so it was safe. with a knife he cut the tip ( where the water comes from) so the wires could come out. Instead of headphones though he used little speakers that still use those little wires. I think he put the speakers to his bar but not sure.

lNlOl lMlOlNlElYl-My AntiDrug

July 12, 2004, 12:06 p.m.

Originally posted by fergs
Besides, if it comes down to depending on something besides yourself to ride with style and flow, then something's wrong.

You mean like 7 or 8 inches of suspension?

Judge others much?

Everybody has a personal preference. It has nothing to do with skill or style or flow.
It either enhances your ride satisfaction or it doesn't.

According to your logic, one could say that people who don't ride with music must be unskilled newbs because they can't handle any distractions.

To each his/her own. Enjoy the ride.

We're riding bicycles!!!

For sale: 5th element spring 425 lbs from a 2003 Bullit $40 shipping incl. PM me.

July 12, 2004, 2 p.m.

Music totally gets you psyched and ready to roll, but it's a bit distracting… the ppl in this forum are right: bein able to hear stuff is good… like your derallieur snappin off, or wheels burstin… whatever it is, its better to ride without it, even though you think you can ride better with music. just stick to listening to your chain hit your swingarm… it's such a good sound :P

-=zrider=-

Hey you! Yeah you!!! Get the %#@$ off your computer and go ride your bike!

July 12, 2004, 2:53 p.m.

It's probably not a good idea to listen to music in areas with traffic. In other areas, it's probably okay. Using an MP3 player versus any other type of player is a good choice because most of them (except for the Apple iPod) are solid-state, which makes them fairly shock-resistant. I would still get a cheap MP3 player if I were you though.

July 12, 2004, 3:29 p.m.

oh, I only trail ride with an mp3 player and the volume is very low.

I wouldn't even consider riding in traffic with one.

We're riding bicycles!!!

For sale: 5th element spring 425 lbs from a 2003 Bullit $40 shipping incl. PM me.