Laser eye surgery and biking

May 6, 2003, 12:42 p.m.

Anyone have their eyes "fixed" by laser surgery (Lasik, PRK)? Curious as to how your biking might have been influenced by it (as compared to wearing contacts or glasses). Glasses fog up, get covered in sweat, and can change perspective. Contacts can get shifted, if the eyes are temp. dry for a couple of sec. you can lose focus until you blink a few times, can fall out (branch etc.), are a problem if dirt gets in your eye (can't remove dirt like non-contact wearers without a mirror or you'll lose the contact). Laser surgery can give temp. dry eye, loss of contrast, night vision problems (all USUALLY temp.).

Anyways, if anyone has had it and could compare their performance or "happiness", it would be interesting. I'm getting my eyes done Fri. so it's only for interest sake.

May 6, 2003, 1:03 p.m.

I think it's a VERY bad idea to get laser eye corrective surgery while biking.

iforonewelcome.com

May 6, 2003, 1:32 p.m.

Originally posted by sAFETY
I think it's a VERY bad idea to get laser eye corrective surgery while biking.

Saftey knows of what he talks, why do you think he has the eyepatch on?

meh

May 6, 2003, 1:40 p.m.

You vision in darkness will be screwed if you get laser eye…. I'm dialed with contacts (they are a pain in the ass sometimes tho…)

May 6, 2003, 1:53 p.m.

hahah evan
are u still crosseyed? :P

superheros
I like bikes

May 6, 2003, 2:30 p.m.

tweek, you are so misinformed its not even funny…

about 7 of my friends have already had lasik surgery and are avid outdoorsy people. They bike, hike, rock climb, board, etc…night, day, whatever…

they have ZERO issues…im going to be having this done soon im hoping…

there were issues when the process first came out, and for a year or two after..but now its pretty standard…get one eye done…wait a while, get the second eye done..you are golden…

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

May 6, 2003, 2:37 p.m.

my dads an eye surgeon. if i remeber i'll ask next time i talk to him (could be in a week… so I doubt i'll be any help).

however, i can say that the beauty of laser is that there are so few possible issues with the surgery. it isn't even surgery, actually. ask yer doctor.

i can say that a good hospital is one of the most important factors in any surgery. it influences both the surgery directly AND the way you feel about the surgery.

May 6, 2003, 2:38 p.m.

Originally posted by seand@nsmb
**tweek, you are so misinformed its not even funny…

about 7 of my friends have already had lasik surgery and are avid outdoorsy people. They bike, hike, rock climb, board, etc…night, day, whatever…

there were issues when the process first came out, and for a year or two after..but now its pretty standard…get one eye done…wait a while, get the second eye done..you are golden… **

Yeah, I know a couple people who have had the procedure done and they have never complaned about any "loss" of vision in the dark.

May 6, 2003, 2:50 p.m.

It's been a while since I've looked into this but I don't think there's any loss in night-vision. However, if it's done incorrectly, it's irreversible.

I have a pretty weak prescription so I'd personally wait until I couldn't tolerate corrective lenses/contacts before trying an irreversible procedure, no matter how perfected it is (and it ain't). Can't remember who said it, but I agree -[HTML_REMOVED] the surgeon's prior experience and caseload is directly related to quality of outcome.

'cac

www.RacquetChat.com

May 6, 2003, 11:03 p.m.

IF you need it be a fire fighter, then it will be fine for biking. One of my friends needed to be a firefighter. He siad its the best 2k he ever spent

May 6, 2003, 11:14 p.m.

My wife had it done. She has had ZERO complications.

She had it done at The Gimbel Eye Centre in Vancouver

Originally posted by switch
"nobody will never need more then 4 inches of travel"

May 6, 2003, 11:34 p.m.

No riders here with it though eh?

I've read tons on it, even found the nasty lasikdisasters.com website (bad reading before surgery :-)

I'm actually going to London Eye Centre - it's PRK not Lasik (they use the laser to burn (OK vaporize) the epithelia off (skin on cornea) then do the same flattening as Lasik but there is no flap (of course). Takes about 36hrs for skin to grow back. More painful than lasik but less risk (can't get wrinkles, can't lose flap, can't have cutter jam during cut etc.). Should be an experience. Wife had it done last week - she had -11 diopter perscription so took longer than average to heal (mostly better 1 week later for her, still light sensitive).

Oh, as for the contrast problem and night vision - it is a problem, but mostly temporary. Lower perscriptions less problem with it, less likely to have it on a more perm. basis. Interestingly they now, for high perscriptions, use an agent to slow down healing to reduce night vision problems (not used for low-med. perscriptions).

Well if anyone's interested, I'll let ya know what it's like after about 1 mos. time (won't be biking for 2 weeks - because I'm extra cautious).

May 6, 2003, 11:40 p.m.

Originally posted by seand@nsmb
**tweek, you are so misinformed its not even funny…

there were issues when the process first came out, and for a year or two after..but now its pretty standard…get one eye done…wait a while, get the second eye done..you are golden… **

Actually SMRT guy I am not misinformed…my optomitrist had it done. I asked him about it when I played hockey, he said that he loves his improved vision BUT you DO lack vision in the original vision you had in the dark. He handed me about 6 panflits on it too, they all said vision in the dark will decline. DO NOT call me MISINFORMED when infact I have done more research on it then YOU!

Deal

BTW; I got really pissed off about 5 minutes ago so sorry if I am shitfitting but of us two….you are the misinformed one.

May 6, 2003, 11:42 p.m.

Originally posted by thewwkayaker

Oh, as for the contrast problem and night vision - it is a problem, but mostly temporary. Lower perscriptions less problem with it, less likely to have it on a more perm. basis. Interestingly they now, for high perscriptions, use an agent to slow down healing to reduce night vision problems (not used for low-med. perscriptions).

WELL HOLY SHIT! :eek: I'm definatly misinformed ONCE AGAIN :rolleyes: :mad:

May 7, 2003, 1:23 a.m.

I don't know about it man. Natural eyeballs are pretty tough until you get some guy messin around your cornea burnin stuff off. A natural eye's so tough that it'll break the floor of your eyesocket before it ruptures. But lasered eyes don't have that strength, they blow with much lesser impacts. And once you've blown it there is no fixing it. You're blind. I'd only do it if I planned on wearin safety glasses for the rest of my life, but then that defeats the purpose eh?