Ladies Only Teeter to be Torn Down

July 19, 2009, 6:36 p.m.

I heard from an extremely reliable source that the teeter-totter on Ladies Only is going to be torn down and that section of trail will be re-routed.

The District seems to think that the mud holes that Digger spent hours and hours shoveling out are now an enviromentally sensitive area.

Digger told me a while back, he created that whole area by shoveling the holes and terracing them so the water would hold, then overflow from one section to the next, he also added the ferns and skunk weed to add to the visual effect. Right now you can see when the holes start to dry out, they are for sure man made puddles. He also had to re-route the run-off creek so he could create the terraced water flow, the creek used to run 15 feet from where it is now.

The "teeter totter" on Ladies Only is the first known one of it's kind in mountain biking. It should be a heritage site, not something to be torn down by the ignorant people who are trying to impose themselves as the shepherds of our sport.

I also understand that the District will be cutting their new "access road" from the kiosk at Dempsey/Braemar right through Ladies Only and Pipeline. This is not going to be a trail, it is going to be capable of handling emergency vehicles, so it will be at least 3 meters wide and solid gravel, like the access road that already exists on the mountain. They are supposed to be flagging it now, although I didn't see any markers on Ladies Only today.

Maybe somebody else has more details on this, that's all I got for now.

July 19, 2009, 8:47 p.m.

Why don't they ask some of the builders about all this before they start ruining trails. That feature is one of the coolest bits on ladies. And what's the point of another access route? Why?????

:england:

July 19, 2009, 8:50 p.m.

heritage site! re routing water from where it used to go! hmmmm

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

July 19, 2009, 8:58 p.m.

Why don't they ask some of the builders about all this before they start ruining trails. That feature is one of the coolest bits on ladies. And what's the point of another access route? Why?????

Agreed :clap:

:canada: - Flickr

July 19, 2009, 9:11 p.m.

Picture of said feature? It's not ringing a bell

July 19, 2009, 9:32 p.m.

Guess I better stop walking over that teeter totter…

bows head in shame

:P

July 19, 2009, 11:14 p.m.

Picture of said feature? It's not ringing a bell

I believe this is the teeter in question.

July 19, 2009, 11:31 p.m.

F*CK…this is one of the stunts that should reallt get a "heritage site" badge….this is world famous. DEvery self-respecting moutnainbiker has seen it more than once. :(

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 19, 2009, 11:43 p.m.

fuck. i'm going to go ride that tomorrow, just in case.

July 19, 2009, 11:53 p.m.

fuck. i'm going to go ride that tomorrow, just in case.

Go to hell….me gotta wait a week. If that is true this is a shame really. NSMBA. Anybody in for some background info?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 20, 2009, 12:10 a.m.

I just cleaned that for the first time on Saturday.

I'm pretty sure that the surrounding bog is some kind of heron sanctuary. I always see one hanging around there. Tame as all hell. It doesn't even move when you ride by.

July 20, 2009, 5:53 a.m.

I believe this is the teeter in question.

Thanks Curtis!

July 20, 2009, 8:19 a.m.

With all due respect to those involved, I can totally understand why the District wants to remove that feature and re-route the trail.

"It's, like, so much fun."

July 20, 2009, 8:31 a.m.

With all due respect to those involved, I can totally understand why the District wants to remove that feature and re-route the trail.

do tell…

July 20, 2009, 8:39 a.m.

because it's their land

do tell…

likely something about rerouting a creek

although it does seem silly since it's been that way for likely 15 or so years and hasn't hurt anything yet.